Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What exactly is in the latest software/firmware update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GasKilla

No Gas Know Peace
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I checked the wiki and all it has is the version number. I've seen the posts about the Easter egg for the rainbow road and other posts about bugs but what I'd really like to know is what are the improvements/ fixes in this update. I'm scheduled to update tonight. I was out of town for a week so I'm not sure when this update was made available to me and if it's one I should delay installing because of known issues etc.

It would be nice to have release notes with each release.

Even the frequent one-liner "bug fixes and minor enhancements" would at least tell us what a release is not.

Copying the notes from 4 releases ago is not entirely helpful.
I agree. The "what's new in this update" screen confused me because I was expecting something new but it was the same info from the last release.

I've noticed a few minor things in this update (2.16.17). My previous version that I updated from was 2.14.66.

1. In my previous version and all before, turning the volume scroll wheel on the steering wheel would frequently not register one or more clicks in the software. For example, if I rolled the scroll wheel 4 indentations to raise the volume, the actual volume level would only go up by 2 notches. The number of indentations that the software would miss varied from 25-66%. It was worst when navigation was active -- in that situation maybe only 1 out of 3 clicks would get through. In this version, that seems to have been corrected for the most part. Without navigation active I don't think it's missed a click yet. With nav active, it has only missed one once in a while. I know not everyone sees this issue, I think it's particularly noticeable in autopilot cars. I've driven loaners without autopilot and they don't seem to have this issue.
  2. In previous versions, if I had the screen brightness on "Auto", the brightness would sometimes do a step-change. As an example, it would be in day mode but dim when I was in the garage, and after I drove out it would all of a sudden change to day mode but bright within about a minute. In this version, the brightness changes seem to gradually ramp to the automatically-selected brightness, without a step change.
  3. In previous versions (particularly in 2.12.126 and 2.13.77) I would often have to re-select the audio source after getting back in the car after it had been parked for a long period. The audio display on the instrument cluster would be blank and usually, there would be no audio. Sometimes, the IC would show my previously-selected station, but no audio would be playing. That appears to have been fixed in this version, I have not had to re-select the audio source at all.
  4. In previous versions, if I had Slacker set as the audio source and paused the currently-playing song while parked, when I came back to the car that song would generally be gone and a new one would be automatically beginning playback. In this version, that appears to be fixed, and I've had the same song paused at the same spot when I've come back to the car in most cases now.
  5. In this version, autopilot appears to be diving for exit ramps a bit more than it was. It still maintains the right lane without actually trying to take the exit like it used to with 7.0 (2.7.56), but it now has a wobble at the exit ramps as opposed to virtually no movement like it was in other 7.1 versions.
  6. I still feel that the intermittent windshield wiper logic is messed up. They've changed its behavior a couple of times in the 7.1 series, but today it was exhibiting the same odd behavior I've always seen. The thing that confuses me is that the behavior jumps back and forth between too fast and too slow. Today, its raining lightly, it would probably be the level where you need a wipe every 5-7 seconds. Sometimes, the logic will have it wiping much faster than that, in some cases up to a continuous "low" speed. Then 60 seconds later, with no change in the rain rate, the wiper cycle slows down such that it's only trying to wipe every 20 seconds, and I have to manually use the button on the end of the lever to get a wipe cycle when I need it. Later it will speed back up to be cycling too often again. I think the logic is trying to use too much "history" of wiping action to predict when to wipe next and not enough data from the actual current state of the windshield.
  7. Autopilot engage/disengage sounds seem louder.
  8. I believe this release incorporates incremental fixes from 2.13.77 (dual charger bug fix) and 2.14.66 (additional short circuit protection for the battery HV junction box) that were not in 2.12.126.
  9. In 2.12.126, there were occasions where the central display computer was obviously too busy and was causing various audio glitches, including "stuttering" of audio playback sources and sometimes delays in system sounds like turn signal clicks. That appears to have been fixed in this version.
  10. In one of the versions prior to 2.12.126, in response to requests for changes in functionality, Tesla changed the function of the volume scroll wheel while the parking sensors are being displayed. Previously, when parking sensors were displayed, the volume scroll wheel would control the parking sensor warning chime volume. After the change was made, that was no longer the case, the scroll wheel would continue to control the audio system volume instead. However, pressing the scroll wheel, which would normally mute/pause the audio source would still not work while parking sensors were displayed. In 2.16.17, this has been fixed, and you can now actuate mute/pause while parking sensors are displayed.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll post any additional things I notice here.

I've noticed a few minor things in this update (2.16.17). My previous version that I updated from was 2.14.66.

1. In my previous version and all before, turning the volume scroll wheel on the steering wheel would frequently not register one or more clicks in the software. For example, if I rolled the scroll wheel 4 indentations to raise the volume, the actual volume level would only go up by 2 notches. The number of indentations that the software would miss varied from 25-66%. It was worst when navigation was active -- in that situation maybe only 1 out of 3 clicks would get through. In this version, that seems to have been corrected for the most part. Without navigation active I don't think it's missed a click yet. With nav active, it has only missed one once in a while. I know not everyone sees this issue, I think it's particularly noticeable in autopilot cars. I've driven loaners without autopilot and they don't seem to have this issue.
  2. In previous versions, if I had the screen brightness on "Auto", the brightness would sometimes do a step-change. As an example, it would be in day mode but dim when I was in the garage, and after I drove out it would all of a sudden change to day mode but bright within about a minute. In this version, the brightness changes seem to gradually ramp to the automatically-selected brightness, without a step change.
  3. In previous versions (particularly in 2.12.126 and 2.13.77) I would often have to re-select the audio source after getting back in the car after it had been parked for a long period. The audio display on the instrument cluster would be blank and usually, there would be no audio. Sometimes, the IC would show my previously-selected station, but no audio would be playing. That appears to have been fixed in this version, I have not had to re-select the audio source at all.
  4. In previous versions, if I had Slacker set as the audio source and paused the currently-playing song while parked, when I came back to the car that song would generally be gone and a new one would be automatically beginning playback. In this version, that appears to be fixed, and I've had the same song paused at the same spot when I've come back to the car in most cases now.
  5. In this version, autopilot appears to be diving for exit ramps a bit more than it was. It still maintains the right lane without actually trying to take the exit like it used to with 7.0 (2.7.56), but it now has a wobble at the exit ramps as opposed to virtually no movement like it was in other 7.1 versions.
  6. I still feel that the intermittent windshield wiper logic is messed up. They've changed its behavior a couple of times in the 7.1 series, but today it was exhibiting the same odd behavior I've always seen. The thing that confuses me is that the behavior jumps back and forth between too fast and too slow. Today, its raining lightly, it would probably be the level where you need a wipe every 5-7 seconds. Sometimes, the logic will have it wiping much faster than that, in some cases up to a continuous "low" speed. Then 60 seconds later, with no change in the rain rate, the wiper cycle slows down such that it's only trying to wipe every 20 seconds, and I have to manually use the button on the end of the lever to get a wipe cycle when I need it. Later it will speed back up to be cycling too often again. I think the logic is trying to use too much "history" of wiping action to predict when to wipe next and not enough data from the actual current state of the windshield.
  8. I believe this release incorporates incremental fixes from 2.13.77 (dual charger bug fix) and 2.14.66 (additional short circuit protection for the battery HV junction box) that were not in 2.12.126.
  9. In 2.12.126, there were occasions where the central display computer was obviously too busy and was causing various audio glitches, including "stuttering" of audio playback sources and sometimes delays in system sounds like turn signal clicks. That appears to have been fixed in this version.
  10. In one of the versions prior to 2.12.126, in response to requests for changes in functionality, Tesla changed the function of the volume scroll wheel while the parking sensors are being displayed. Previously, when parking sensors were displayed, the volume scroll wheel would control the parking sensor warning chime volume. After the change was made, that was no longer the case, the scroll wheel would continue to control the audio system volume instead. However, pressing the scroll wheel, which would normally mute/pause the audio source would still not work while parking sensors were displayed. In 2.16.17, this has been fixed, and you can now actuate mute/pause while parking sensors are displayed.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll post any additional things I notice here.
Thanks for your detailed response.

AP seems to stay in the middle of the lane better now and not hug the right so much when in HOV lanes near the wall.
Summon definitely works better on sloped driveways. Not that I use it that often, but I did check.
Auto hi-beams used to work fairly well, but last night they did not activate when I really needed them and no other cars were around. Had to hold the stick on to keep them on.
Hill Hold is now back to having to mash hard on the brake, rather than just a tap. Although someone else said it had not changed. Strange that some things can be different in same update.

• Informative
Reactions: Fanatic1
Hill Hold is now back to having to mash hard on the brake, rather than just a tap. Although someone else said it had not changed. Strange that some things can be different in same update.
My observation is that when I've had to press harder to activate Hill Hold, it's because I'm on an actual slope and was already holding down the brake with some amount of pressure before the car fully came to a stop. On level ground, it activates with a light tap on the brake once I'm stopped. Do you notice any difference between activating on a slope versus level ground?

Hill Hold is behaving pretty well for me in recent updates. When it was first introduced, I couldn't touch the brake at all after coming to a stop without activating the ((H)), and subsequently accelerating from a stop felt like it was straining against the brakes for a split second before they released. However, I think Tesla has been refining the feature in some of these opaque software updates, and I barely even notice it's active anymore unless I look for the ((H)) on the instrument panel.

#6 my auto wipers in my ange rover behave eradically often without any updates. It might be a vendor issue, or the windshield being dirty etc and not necessarily a software update that changed the behavior

My observation is that when I've had to press harder to activate Hill Hold, it's because I'm on an actual slope and was already holding down the brake with some amount of pressure before the car fully came to a stop. On level ground, it activates with a light tap on the brake once I'm stopped. Do you notice any difference between activating on a slope versus level ground?

Hill Hold is behaving pretty well for me in recent updates. When it was first introduced, I couldn't touch the brake at all after coming to a stop without activating the ((H)), and subsequently accelerating from a stop felt like it was straining against the brakes for a split second before they released. However, I think Tesla has been refining the feature in some of these opaque software updates, and I barely even notice it's active anymore unless I look for the ((H)) on the instrument panel.
Hm. Well, that may be what's going on. Maybe some people found it too sensitive. I didn't. I really have a hard time activating it now, whether on flat or slope. I really preferred it the other way. But I can see how others may not have. We'll have to see what the next iteration brings, I suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: Texas and markn455
Late last night (Friday 4/22) I was in my car at the San Diego supercharger when for a minute or two the audio system repeatedly paused and stuttered, replaying buffers as though the CPU was occupied doing something more important. I think I also saw the LTE RSSI icon wink out. Since I could think of no other explanation, I wondered if maybe new firmware was being pushed down and that was preoccupying the CPU. Sure enough, a popup appeared to tell me that new firmware was available. I haven't installed it yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Texas