Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 RWD S 60 (3/2014) - 22k mi - 90% - 130 mi.
I charge to 100% (145mi) maybe once every 6-8 weeks and depart shortly after reaching 100%. SOC is almost always at 50-75% as I have a 10mi drive to work. I keep the car plugged in at night and charge from ~55% to 70% at 3am daily. Lifetime Wh/mi is slightly over 300. Have supercharged only a handful of times.
Contacted Service to try to find out why my numbers are so much worse than all of yours.

2014 RWD S 60 (3/2014) - 22k mi - 90% - 130 mi.
I charge to 100% (145mi) maybe once every 6-8 weeks and depart shortly after reaching 100%. SOC is almost always at 50-75% as I have a 10mi drive to work. I keep the car plugged in at night and charge from ~55% to 70% at 3am daily. Lifetime Wh/mi is slightly over 300. Have supercharged only a handful of times.
Contacted Service to try to find out why my numbers are so much worse than all of yours.
I thought mine was bad at 99% = 180 RM (down 13%) but yours is something else!

Hope they give you satisfaction. They blew me off: first it was that my firmware wasn't updated, so I did that. Then it was my charging pattern so I changed it for some weeks, doing full range charges from quite low to high repeatedly on an extended road trip and it made no difference. Then the service rep just said the same thing as before: battery checks out fine via remote viewing so it must be my charging pattern, despite my having proved otherwise. I'm not happy with the Denver Service Center rep. Because he left my case open I can't even give the usual post service feedback. (I originally called Salt Lake City SC, which has great service, but they transferred me to Denver because that Service Center is slightly closer to my house so technically I'm in their jurisdiction.)

I thought mine was bad at 99% = 180 RM (down 13%) but yours is something else!

Hope they give you satisfaction. They blew me off: first it was that my firmware wasn't updated, so I did that. Then it was my charging pattern so I changed it for some weeks, doing full range charges from quite low to high repeatedly on an extended road trip and it made no difference. Then the service rep just said the same thing as before: battery checks out fine via remote viewing so it must be my charging pattern, despite my having proved otherwise. I'm not happy with the Denver Service Center rep. Because he left my case open I can't even give the usual post service feedback. (I originally called Salt Lake City SC, which has great service, but they transferred me to Denver because that Service Center is slightly closer to my house so technically I'm in their jurisdiction.)

Thanks for your comments. I posted my results to the EV Battery Survey and now can fully appreciate that I am the winner of the Battery Degradation Award, despite following the usual recommendations for battery longevity and driving. I will share my story in a few days when I hear from the Service Center. The first recommendation was to charge to 90%, leave the car unplugged, and then drive it for a few days without charging or plugging. I will be surprised and disappointed if they call this much loss "normal."

When my 2014 P85 was brand new, it got 240 rated miles at 90%. Today, it only reports 239 miles.
I'm missing a mile; has anyone seen it? ;)

UPtwjHD.jpg

To add more context, the number gradually went down from 240 to 232 over a two year period, but then one of the software updates either caused a recalibration, or changed the algorithm. No complaints here!

When my 2014 P85 was brand new, it got 240 rated miles at 90%. Today, it only reports 239 miles.

UPtwjHD.jpg

To add more context, the number gradually went down from 240 to 232 over a two year period, but then one of the software updates either caused a recalibration, or changed the algorithm. No complaints here!

I thought I found it yesterday. When getting ready to run errands, I opened the door to the car to dump my stuff in the car before unplugging. The display said 270 miles (set to 90%), which is more than I've seen before. However when I unplugged and got back into the car (less than 30 seconds), it said 268. How did it lose 2 miles of range in only a few seconds sitting still? After running errands I added the miles driven and the miles remaining and it did come to 269.5.

UPtwjHD.jpg

I think it's in my April 2014 P85. I've gained 1 mile over the past few weeks average 235 for 90%.

Thanks for your comments. I posted my results to the EV Battery Survey and now can fully appreciate that I am the winner of the Battery Degradation Award, despite following the usual recommendations for battery longevity and driving. I will share my story in a few days when I hear from the Service Center. The first recommendation was to charge to 90%, leave the car unplugged, and then drive it for a few days without charging or plugging. I will be surprised and disappointed if they call this much loss "normal."

My 90% had decreased to 163 rated miles at the time and I was worried about it. Some time after my original battery wouldn't fully charge to 100%. I sent an email to Tesla ([email protected] back then, not sure now) and discussed the battery concern with my local service center, and thankfully the SC received word from corporate that they wanted to inspect my battery for issues, and authorized the replacement battery. The new battery has been perfect since.

I'm confident the service center will take care of you; your drop in rated miles seems really excessive. Hope this helps.

My 90% had decreased to 163 rated miles at the time and I was worried about it. Some time after my original battery wouldn't fully charge to 100%. I sent an email to Tesla ([email protected] back then, not sure now) and discussed the battery concern with my local service center, and thankfully the SC received word from corporate that they wanted to inspect my battery for issues, and authorized the replacement battery. The new battery has been perfect since.

I'm confident the service center will take care of you; your drop in rated miles seems really excessive. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your post. I just got off the phone with the Service Center who stated that they reviewed my logs and that there were no hardware issues. They stated that my problems were due to a "firmware bug" and that I should charge to 90% daily (instead of 75%). I explained that I had ranged charged to 145 miles and received low charge warnings after 135mi of driving (~40kWh), which seems to me like reduced capacity of my 60 rather than a firmware bug. I'm supposed to now try a 90% charge on a daily basis to see if it fixes the "bug"...pretty disappointing.

Don't feel bad. I'm at 242 @ 90% in this heat. During our winter, it was pretty consistently 246. I stopped obsessing over it since it puts a damper on the pleasure of owning this dream vehicle.
Right. I don't much worry about it. The last range charge I did (at about 87K miles/four years) showed 293 Ideal miles (~300 Ideal miles when new). Rated miles haven't been as consistent, presumably because Tesla changes the algorithm from time to time, so i don't bother with them for battery health.

• Helpful
Reactions: DanZiz