Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I almost never use Tesla's navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use it regularly, and if I wasn't aware of just how much better other GPS's are, I would be barely satisfied with the Tesla's implementation.

Just a few of the quirks.

The nav system just can't pronounce some street and city names worth a damn! Now, I would understand if it was having problems with pronouncing Lake Kashagawigamog in Ontario, BUT, it's downright unfathomable why it would say Reno as "RENNO"; same mispronouncing Manteca as Mantecca. Listening to it pronounce Junipero Serra in Southern California, and Silverado Ranch in Vegas is horrible. It's also embarrassing when I'm driving people around, and a truly spectacular car mispronounces something as simple as Reno.

More than once, it tells me to turn right or left, and then indicates I turned the wrong way.

Finally, I just want to be able to tap the screen, and set and name the waypoint right there..... Don't see how this very basic gps feature is not available. I don't want to scroll through address based locations, when I use SJC1, SJC2, etc

When I was looking at a Tesla at the dealership yesterday, the map was very slowly painted to the screen, as if it was downloading the map from the internet. Does the car have to fetch the maps from the internet? Or does it have a local map database that it can display. If so, why does it take several seconds to draw the map?

Yes the center screen maps are downloaded on the fly via 3G. It's not very fast but for most daily driving I never found it to be an issue. There are offline maps in the car so it will always know where to go even without an internet connection.

In summary: Tesla's navigation is fine.
It's just no match for Waze. And I believe that is true for every single commercially available navigation system.
Waze is unbelievably good. That's why my car has a phone holder that puts the (tiny looking) iPhone 6 plus right next to the big screen.
And weirdly (I know), I tend to use both at the same time :)

op has clearly detailed all the ways it is most definitely not fine.

it isn't just that wave is that great.

it's also that tesla nav is just that bad.

this is compounded by any range issues.

I'm finding nav more and more useless, and frankly bizarre.

Multiple times over the past few weeks it has asked me to get off interstates, halfway through a trip onto local roads for no reason whatsoever. I've turned off traffic based rerouting, in case that was the cause, but it's still doing it.

It also didn't seem to think that I-75 exists in Naples, FL and Sarasota, FL, and wanted to take me on local roads with tons of traffic lights.

Also, I take the same way home from work every day. Twice last week it tried to take me 5 miles out of the way to get home, requesting that I drive past the house for two miles, turn onto a parallel road, then backtrack to the house. When I made the correct turn, 5 times it asked me to make a U-turn.

I haven't seen a nav system function this poorly since the first one I ever had, about 20 years ago. I sure hope Tesla is listening, because this is really bad.

Hmm...I use the Tesla nav all the time for driving all over California. Works every time. Haven't used it in other states yet.

One might also say the same about most of the Tesla engineering team! I've heard in many threads on this forum that most "oversights" in the car's hardware or software design can be easily explained when you consider the engineering team likely spends most of their time in California (and thus, their circle of knowledge of the expectations of the road world are mostly limited to that environment).

I have no Model S but...
- Tesla's navi has no alternative routes I can pick from. Waze calculates 2 other alternatives. I often look at them and sometimes decide if I prefer a shorter route to save energy even when it's a few minutes longer.
I'm surprised. My 06 Prius' nav system gives alternates along the lines of shortest, fastest, etc. My '13 Leaf's nav (which is generally a step backwards from my 06 Prius' nav), gives 4 choices: eco, shortest time, min freeway, shortest distance.
- Tesla's navi doesn't allow me to tap on a point on the map and use that as a favorite or destination. This is very annoying. I see exactly where it is on the map, but I can't tell it to go there.
Weird. I'm pretty sure both of my above cars let you specify a point as destination. I've definitely done it on my Prius before and pretty sure I've done it on my Leaf.
- Tesla's navi only has one destination, no waypoints.
Odd deficiency. Both of my above cars definitely have that.

And while we are at navigation: there is no excuse for the lack of a data base of public chargers. Elon sais he is not in it for just Tesla, but for a global change. Having a database of public chargers integrated into the navigation system is frankly a no-brainer for any EV. Yes the reliability and accessibility of public chargers is an issue, but there are simple ways to make it work as we can see with PlugShare. I was hoping that would be the update Elon was talking about recently, but it seems the database of chargers is Only Tesla's own chargers and those you visited. That's counter productive and misses the point. When I go on a trip I am very likely to go in an area where I don't know where chargers are.
Leaf's had a database of public charging stations in the car from day 1 (December 2010). All of them have it except for the cheapest trim (S trim that doesn't have nav that came out with the '13 model year). Only problem is, their database is crap and often outdated w/NO crowdsourced info (ala Plugshare). So, who knows how reliable the station is and whether it's frequently ICEd?

The last time I looked in Carwings at charging station data (it's quite worthless for me), it didn't have any cost data. It would only basically say whether it was free or not (I think the verbiage was "charged" or "no/not charged"). It also had no data on the access hours for the stations. Many (most?) dealer L2 EVSEs and CHAdeMO DC FCs are completely inaccessible outside dealer business hours.

I don't use much public infrastructure, but when I do/plan to, I check Plugshare, the web site and their iOS app.

Leaf's Carwings charging station database is good for show, I guess (to see plugs on the map as you drive) and maybe marginally useful for people who don't have smartphones? I did meet a Leaf driver who was quite non-tech savvy and apparently DID use the crap charging station data in the Leaf. I don't think he had a smartphone. IIRC, he mainly used it to guide him to Nissan dealers to charge... He also charges at a set of free J1772s that we both visit (there are 8 of them in 1 location).

Mercedes supposedly did something w/Plugshare: Recargo Brings PlugShare To Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive. Don't know how it is.

Last edited:
When the Model S was launched in 2012, in-car navigation was new territory for Google and Tesla's engineers. While Garmin did play a role, it appears to be a minor one. Makers of stand-alone GPS units, such as Garmin and Tomtom, have been at this for more than a decade. It's no wonder than a $130 Garmin GPS still outperforms the Google-Tesla system in a number of ways. That said, the Model S nav is getting better with each firmware update, and it now features integration with the energy app, offering energy tracking capabilities that take road elevation changes into account. That's a feature you'll never find in a stand-alone GPS. Don't write off Tesla's navigation just yet.

The nav system just can't pronounce some street and city names worth a damn!

A couple of years ago, the TomTom app on my iPhone could pronounce La Jolla, CA properly, but could not pronounce Los Angeles (said los-an-hallies) it was hilarious. An update to the app fixed that, so hopefully the Tesla nav will get better over time too. My Tesla app pronounces Paris (Ontario, Canada) as "pa-ri". Also very odd.

When the Model S was launched in 2012, in-car navigation was new territory ...
I'm not sure why you're defending this on Tesla's behalf - My 2002 cars with nav had waypoints, avoiding toll roads, choice of several routes, choice of fastest or shortest, etc. It's 2015 and our navi system is still missing all of these features. It's hopefully going to improve, but they don't deserve a pass for what we've got today.

Why is it, given that there are plenty of web sites out there that show weather, that Google have not combined weather into Google maps and that no nav that I am aware of, offers this?

Weather on the road is far more important that at my desk ...

Will be interesting to see version 6.2 nav.

And, as for Plugshare ... I would never trust it for reliability but to offer it as an option, fine.

If you are complaining about Tesla nav, please also include your firmware level. Tesla has stated that the various 6.1 updates are getting behind the scenes nav fixes and 6.2 will have actual nav functionality improvements.

A couple of years ago, the TomTom app on my iPhone could pronounce La Jolla, CA properly, but could not pronounce Los Angeles (said los-an-hallies) it was hilarious. An update to the app fixed that, so hopefully the Tesla nav will get better over time too. My Tesla app pronounces Paris (Ontario, Canada) as "pa-ri". Also very odd.

"St. Louis" is "saint lou-eee" according to Tesla as well. Blame the French.

I once had a GPS that didn't know any words, everything was phonetic. So it would have said that like "Low-uh-ih-esss". Good for some laughs. Personally I have muted GPS for a decade as I can't stand the constant interruptions of "turn in a mile. Turn in half a mile. Turn in a quarter mile. Turn in a hundred feet. Turn now. DING DING."

For many uses the on board Navi is fine, but here is the thing: The Model S isn't a Nissan Versa or some cheapo car. It's designed and sold as the car of the future. A navigation system that is at least on par with the current free apps that everyone has on their phone would have been the minimum.

The only thing that Tesla has (after 2 years of delay) is the energy app which is something several random people programmed and published quicker than Tesla themselves. They just weren't able to integrate it into the car because it's a closed system.

The lack of a database of public chargers is in IMHO also unforgivable in an EV. Every other EV has it in some way. If Elon was honest about being in it for the win of the EV not just Tesla, that would have been the first thing to add and support.

Google owns Waze so Google maps should be able to have the info.
The HOV lane thing is a setting in Waze, It doesn't have accurate enough info which lane you are in. Just just tells you to use it and then assumes you do.

Google bought Waze. Waze was superior to begin with in most respects, except for the best feature Google has, telling you about alternative routes right on the map like gray lines with a "3 minutes slower" and "17 minutes faster" and stuff, or the ability of Google to tell you which lane to get in. It will take a LONG time for Google to catch up to Waze. Better yet would be for Waze to integrate the very few things Google does better like the alternate routes and lane options. But my point is that they are two different programs by two different teams. The corporate team just has lower overall quality, and can't shoehorn a good program (Waze) written by good minded souls into small minds. Just because the same company owns both of them doesn't mean anybody has decided to integrate the best of both into one thing and do it successfully. There's a lot of Not Invented Here hurdles to overcome, especially if the people crying NIV are the inferior ones, and won't let go of their inferior work.

I don't have Tesla so I want to know:

One thing that miffs me about just about every single navigator out there: lack of 3D physical space. I mean, there are plenty of places where there are tunnels, bridges, and other height-specific roadways that absolutely make a huge difference as to where you are, especially when there's a different roadway up or down from you. I'm literally surrounded by many such events every time I drive somewhere, and I see most of the navigators suck big time in dealing with this. They need to pay attention to the height. Yes, I know the Earth sloshes about a lot and changes heights constantly, but all it takes is a bit of math to figure out the relative positions of the road you're on to the roads in the database, and presto, it knows which road you're on by tracing lines of you and every other vehicle that's on nearby road. It would get an average current height of the road from all this data, and if you are on or under a bridge, tunnel, or other height oriented road feature, it would exactly know which roadway you are on. This would be relatively easy to program, although if I were a feature-slashing corporation who wants to save money run by knuckleheads and hiring knuckle headed programmers, I might not pay for the proper work in this regard. How does the Tesla navigation stack up? A lot of my navigation programs throw fits every time I cross or go under some bridge or tunnel, or heavens to Betsy, park under a freeway.

Luckily it's rarely given me much problem, because I've been lucky and known my way around when it's happened, but there are a few times I actually drove an extra 15 minutes because I thought it knew what it was telling me.

I use Waze (app), TomTom (iPhone app -- uses GPS, with enhancements by Internet update and Internet traffic), Google Maps (app), my car's builtin GPS-only navigation (2007 data), and the builtin iPhone app. For long drives, I usually get Waze, TomTom, Google. For tight cities, I go for those three + my car's nav. These are the good points of each:

Google: quickest to dial down to destination and get going. Immediately copy to Waze.

Waze: Second one to turn on, since it's a copy and paste string. Immediately get ready for TomTom.

TomTom: it has a clunky interface which I hate, and its colors are hard to understand. But it is as good as Waze in terms of overall quality. I use it for inner city or anyplace where I don't know the speed limit, because it shows the speed limit so I don't get tickets, and I use it in areas without Internet coverage, since it has its maps builtin and never stops working. TomTom tells me which lanes to use, also, which is also very useful in unfamiliar areas with lots of turns. TomTom has a lot of refinement but no polish, or a lot of polish and no refinement, however you look at it: it is a really old old old style of programming that doesn't really integrate its UI very well, and like I said, is very clunky. But it has grown up making this better and better and better, and now is so darn good I like that they haven't abandoned good work for the sake of trying to be fresh and ending up with crap. I forget, but I think TomTom is around $30-$60, and well worth it. (Anybody who can't afford that can eek by with some crappy GPS-only free navigation programs out there -- I whole heartedly recommend this because the no-Internet areas will eat you alive).

Back to Google: it tells me which lanes to use, and in very long distance driving with a lot of heavy traffic, it can tell me some decent alternate routes last-minute with gray lines and text floating on the map, but I have to look to see it.

Car navigation: I fire it up when I just want that extra set of eyes on the navigation. When I'm really unsure of my direction, having all 4 navigators fired up at the same time really helps. The stupid GPS-only navigation without traffic gives me no-stoplight no-traffic fastest routes, which is a good reference point for what all the other navigators are trying to tell me. The voice and user interface is well integrated to the car and well thought out, so it is really awesome when two or more navigators agree and it all helps me out.

Finally, Waze: when everything else settles down, Waze is my main nav app. It often has a more intelligent route than even Google, and just the other day it helped save me 15 minutes over what Google and every other app told me. It tells me of police traps and road hazards, and mostly I like informing other users of road hazards and police traps, and also marking "not there" for cars that are not road hazards (cars that are just parked 15 feet away from the road) that busybodies like to mark as road hazards.

I switch between Waze, Google Maps (for faster route ideas and lane choices), and TomTom, all of which are very good at handling everything, but no one is perfect. I tend to spend about 40% TomTom (I drive in a LOT of no-Internet areas), 50% Waze, and 10% Google (switch in, switch out). I also concurrently use my car's nav about 10% of the time, more like 40% for new or long trips.

My hope is that they all integrate all the above features and carpool lanes with the 1, 2, 3 switchable transponders and my willingness level to pay $20 for an express lane trip to get someplace 20 minutes faster (with less chance of a horrible accident).

But my main question is about 3D: does Tesla's navigator know you're on a bridge or under it? Or in a tunnel or over it?

Last edited: