Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would anyone buy Inventory over CPO or New?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching the ev-CPO prices, and using the price tracking feature on there (I think you need to sign up to see this) I would say that Tesla is well aware of the need to shift the Inventory cars, and has a good pricing model to do so. Seems to me that some of the cars reduce up to $100 per day in price when I was looking (P85D observation). so much so that it can catch you out if you think too mauch about it and wait for the price to drop..I was watching and waiting and missed a couple of cars..

The Inventory cars are not a good deal. They have the old nose, no CC, older head lights and no BIO. For the same price as new, why would someone buy them when it's the same wait as new. Makes no sense.

For those '50' mile ones, I would agree given the new build times don't seem terribly long. I'm sure they'll rush to get as many delivered by end of June. Also, add the slipstream wheels for those who prefer the look of them over the default ones. For the ones that have been used as demos (some have a lot of mileage!), if the discount is enough, it might be worth the trade off.

One question about the new front, watching Bjorn Nyland's youtube video of the new front, he mentioned that the new location of the radar might help out some of the issues the Norwegian's have in winter with snow/ice covering the radar. As I've recently moved to Colorado, but, haven't experienced a winter here yet, I'm wondering if this new placement will result in an improvement with regard to autopilot. If this is true, I would seriously rethink my current search to a new refresh one instead.

For those '50' mile ones, I would agree given the new build times don't seem terribly long.

This is how buying a CPO or an Inventory car works. Once you place your dep, the SC where the car is located has to wait for the car to get back from being used from a loaner if it's out. if it's not the local SC does some minor reconditioning to the car then it sits until it's put on a truck then shipped to your nearest SC. Then that SC goes through the and repairs whatever is needed (might be a wait for parts) then the car is detailed and ready for you. This whole process takes a minimum of 30 days, unless the car you pick is in your town, then its about a week to two weeks.

You can get a new one in the same amount of time or a little longer and get the newest stuff. New is better than buying an Inventory. There are some good CPO deals if you are in the lower price range.

There are some great deals to be had. It looks like they dropped the price on a lot of cars this morning!

There are 144 that have been lowered by at least $5,000. Of those 144, 48 of them have had their price lowered by at least $10,000! I will say that most of the heavily discounted cars are P90D (with ludicrous). The most heavily discounted S90D is $7,500 off.

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

Thanks Erik

There are some great deals to be had. It looks like they dropped the price on a lot of cars this morning!

There are 144 that have been lowered by at least $5,000. Of those 144, 48 of them have had their price lowered by at least $10,000! I will say that most of the heavily discounted cars are P90D (with ludicrous). The most heavily discounted S90D is $7,500 off.

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

Thanks Erik

Anyone who is going to spend $120k+ is going to buy new.

No good deals to me.

Why doesn't Tesla just keep these cars for actual orders that happen to match up with the right combination. Hundreds of cars are probably ordered a day, surely one of those combos match a new inventory car?

If they have trouble moving some like superseded front ends, make it a discounted lease car for a Tesla employee. I think the last thing they should do is start discounting new cars, it's a dangerous downward spiral.

Why doesn't Tesla just keep these cars for actual orders that happen to match up with the right combination. Hundreds of cars are probably ordered a day, surely one of those combos match a new inventory car?

If they have trouble moving some like superseded front ends, make it a discounted lease car for a Tesla employee. I think the last thing they should do is start discounting new cars, it's a dangerous downward spiral.

I was told they discount based on mileage and age. These cars are depreciating every day and they have to move them to make room for the new ones. Also, these are "older style" cars without the new nose, the HEPA filter, etc., so no new orders will match. Most were built to be showroom, test-drive, and loaner vehicles, and I expect they are still in use for that purpose until they can be sold.

I'm told if I cancel my order for a new inventory car, I pay 2000 more. Tesla is not trying to sell inventory cars. They want new orders.
Assuming you have a 60 on order? If so, the price increased $2000 a few weeks ago, so that is what you are seeing. You ordered before the increase, so now going with an inventory car has the $2000 increase included, hence why you are having to pay more.

I don't see why they wouldn't want to sell inventory cars. They are depreciating every day and accruing test/loaner miles and almost all have last generation AP hardware, so no incentive to hang onto them longer than necessary.

Last edited:
Assuming you have a 60 on order? If so, the price increased $2000 a few weeks ago, so that is what you are seeing. You ordered before the increase, so now going with an inventory car has the $2000 increase included, hence why you are having to pay more.

I don't see why they wouldn't want to sell inventory cars. They are depreciating every day and accruing test/loaner miles and almost all have last generation AP hardware, so no incentive to hang onto them longer than necessary.

Depends when the inventory vehicle was built. I switched my custom order to inventory. My custom order had pano @ 2000. The inventory had older pricing of pano @ 1500. So I paid 1500 and saved some cash.

Another thing is "What people don't know, won't bother them".

Explanation: I am a member of several Tesla and Model S groups on Facebook. You'd be surprised how many of current owners still haven't heard about a refresh on the Model S, to this day! And we're talking about existing owners. Now enhance this factor to people, who don't drive a Model S yet. There's plenty of them to go around and making an uneducated decision to buy the "old" model, just simply because they don't know about the refresh.

Explain refresh please, or link? A friendly request of course. I'm aware - generally - that "new" cars come with the necessary hardware for autopilot (you still have to 'upgrade' to autopilot but the new cars are equipped with the hardware) - more effective/efficient batteries? Better seats? Cup holders?

The big one is autopilot hardware though....is that the main refresh?

I didn't read all posts above but I am on my second "inventory" Tesla. Both had substantial discounts.

Two years ago, I bought a 2014 Model S85 that was accurately described as a "Demo." It was used for test drives and as a service loaner. It was very high mileage (16,000km). It's a longer story but I was in the right place at the right time. It suddenly became obsolete when they announced dual motor and autopilot. I got $27,000 off the $99,000 (Canadian Dollars) sticker price and as the first buyer, it included the brand new warranty (adjusted to start at 16,000km and run to 96,000km).

In theory, I knew I could sell that car at anytime for more than I paid. That became reality when Tesla called because they noticed "substantial positive equity" on my account and offered to break my lease if I upgraded.

I just got my 2016 Model X. This was an inventory car and $11,000 off the sticker price of $130,000 Canadian Dollars. The car had 600km which was 'new' as far as I was concerned. I later discovered they no longer differentiate between 'demo' or 'inventory' and this car had been used in some public capacity. Nobody could explain what but my guess was some kind of travelling exhibition car. It was on the road when I signed the papers and had 300km more by the time it arrived back in the showroom.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Explain refresh please, or link? A friendly request of course. I'm aware - generally - that "new" cars come with the necessary hardware for autopilot (you still have to 'upgrade' to autopilot but the new cars are equipped with the hardware) - more effective/efficient batteries? Better seats? Cup holders?

The big one is autopilot hardware though....is that the main refresh?
Refresh = new front fascia that was announced on April 12th, 2016. Originally, the Model S had a black nosecone on the front. Since August or so, rear cup holders and USB ports are installed on the refreshed Model S. More recently, the autopilot 2.0 hardware is included.

This video shows the differences in the Model S between June and December delivery. Both are refreshed models.

I kinda does not make sense for me to buy new, because in a couple months I am moving to MD, and they are offering 3k tax credit, and with the fed tax credit I will be getting back over 10K. I wont get any tax credits on used cars.

Just FYI, Inventory cars do count as "new" for tax purposes, as they've never been registered to an end-customer.

CPO cars, obviously, do not. (Except in a couple oddball states which will issue a state tax credit/rebate if it was previously registered in a different state under a different owner - Colorado, IIRC).