Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3% Price increase across the board

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
translated: Oops, we have leases we can't get out of. Someone should have thought of that... in their defense they probably did but couldn't manage that up. had to let this course of action play out.

That is exactly it. Landlords will only let them out of leases if Tesla pays the balance of the lease. Too bad they didn’t have better front end negotiating to include a kick. They certainly have the leverage as top tier mall tenant.

Keeping the stores is smart. They need that visibility, if only to show the world that they're real, they're stable, and they're not going anywhere.

Now, as for the pricing.... Car companies change pricing all the time. All the time. I appreciate the simplicity of Tesla's pricing - some people will get a better bargain than others.... Just like the people who buy a car at some dealership's Labor Day sale.

Doesn't offend me... car prices change all the time; at least Tesla's pricing is transparent and straightforward.

Update on Tesla Stores and Pricing

All models except $35,000 base model. You have until 3/18 to place your order before 3% price increase!

Good job Tesla another demand lever for end of quarter. Let’s see when you will lower the price again.
This should be happy news for this crowd, based on home many people were throwing themselves through windows on the price cuts.

This looks a little sloppy for those of us that closely follow everything Tesla and are ignorant of price changes as whole within the industry. Luckily that’s a small % of the overall customer base.

I’m glad to see the are closely maintaining margins.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Finally, a rational move. Maybe there’s a method to this madness and these steps were planned all along. The net effect is they need to boost demand by having a sale timed with end of the quarter. Announcing an expiration (price increase) does exactly that.

Now they could have taken a more direct approach and framed it just as a sale, without the store closure nonsense. Though then that may have driven more to speculate that an update must be just around the corner (and maybe there still is for S/X). The approach taken is a distraction, and probably generated more media publicity than otherwise possible.

However, in the end these moves cause collateral damage to employee loyalty and investor confidence. Is it really credible that they can just break 5 year leases at prime locations? No court would ever allow that, short of bankruptcy. Many high-end retail leases also impose additional penalties if a store isn’t open agreed upon hours. For some of these locations that didn’t turn out so great, having just one person there while keeping the store open may very well be cheaper than closing.

That was my first thought (about the leases) too. There's no way they could've just decided to pack up and leave without paying a significant lease break fee. So to me, there's no way they could've not known that. This almost seems like a calculated move on some level. Or so I hope. (But probably not...)

That was my first thought (about the leases) too. There's no way they could've just decided to pack up and leave without paying a significant lease break fee. So to me, there's no way they could've not known that. This almost seems like a calculated move on some level. Or so I hope. (But probably not...)
Definitely not calculated. Their ups and downs are literally crazy.

This latest announcement concerns me in another way. The notice itself seems poorly thought out. For example:

To be clear, all sales worldwide will still be done online, in that potential Tesla owners coming in to stores will simply be shown how to order a Tesla on their phone in a few minutes. ... Stores will also carry a small number of cars in inventory for customers who wish to drive away with a Tesla immediately.

So, are they selling at the stores, or not?

I'm happy for the Store Employees that will remain.

I'm sad for the store employees that got laid off before this "NEW" reversal though.

They are moving to a non-bonus non-commissioned model which means they will basically have near minimum wage people paid to greet customers and answer questions.

Many of the existing employees in sales will leave voluntarily. Some were apparently clearing six figures based on bonuses, etc.

This latest announcement concerns me in another way. The notice itself seems poorly thought out. For example:

To be clear, all sales worldwide will still be done online, in that potential Tesla owners coming in to stores will simply be shown how to order a Tesla on their phone in a few minutes. ... Stores will also carry a small number of cars in inventory for customers who wish to drive away with a Tesla immediately.

So, are they selling at the stores, or not?

They don't "own" any of the stores, they lease high dollar property in high rent areas that generate a lot of foot traffic. They are still closing a bunch of stores just not as many as they had previously announced.

They are moving to a non-bonus non-commissioned model which means they will basically have near minimum wage people paid to greet customers and answer questions.

Many of the existing employees in sales will leave voluntarily. Some were apparently clearing six figures based on bonuses, etc.

Yeah...that's right. I forgot about that. The existing employees are still severely impacted.

I highly doubt that ELON is making these decisions by himself these days. With him being watched like a hawk and all.....the board is probably on board with him - which makes this even more scary.

Some dealership chains/models work on a non commissioned model, although in many cases employees are still eligible for bonuses based on how many cars they can sell.

People loathe commissioned sales people but they serve a purpose. To complete a sale and get a good customer satisfaction survey (which affects their pay a great deal) they need to provide excellent customer service.

Anyone who derides this should spend time in European restaurants and observe the service standards of hourly service people who don't get tip income compared to ones at restaurants in the US where employees are motivated to provide timely service since it impacts their amount of income.

When I was in college I worked a commissioned sales jobs in electronics at a regional electronics chain. Best Buy entering the market we were in (this is mid 90's) actually increased our sales because we got many customers cross-shopping us with Best Buy who appreciated dealing with sales staff who had some education about the products they were selling and took the time to answer their questions. If these customers made a purchase they often picked a higher tier product than they would have selected if they purchased the item at Best Buy.

I went into Best Buy to shop for a new flat screen this weekend and the sales person actually didn't understand the difference between OLED and LCD.

Caveat Emptor.

Yeah it looks like they made a decision and realized it was a bad move but I’m glad the prices are going part of the way back up. It makes way more sense profit wise and stings less for us who bought last year. And the media and naysayers won’t acknowledge this but as others have said, dealers always are changing prices around. Manufacturers maybe not as much but dealers for sure.