Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All in the effort to ensure the wife doesn't door ding me.... She just scraped the front and back wheels on her Land Rover (nearly brand new) and when I questioned her she just said 'really, did I? Oh well' paid a fortune for the upgraded wheels on her car in the black pack...grr

Maybe she doesn't deserve the reservation I have on the X? ;-)

-ECIT

PS oh yeah, a pool noodle doesn't fit, my son is happy because I didn't cut his in half, hahaha

All in the effort to ensure the wife doesn't door ding me.... She just scraped the front and back wheels on her Land Rover (nearly brand new) and when I questioned her she just said 'really, did I? Oh well' paid a fortune for the upgraded wheels on her car in the black pack...grr
-ECIT
You have answered your own question, methinks...

-ECIT

PS oh yeah, a pool noodle doesn't fit, my son is happy because I didn't cut his in half, hahaha
You have it easy! Last 4 brand new cars the wife has caused a repair shop visit in the first month of ownership. All european. Yes she christened her tesla too (although not her fault to be fair), and unlike the bmw near write off, the tesla was more a scratch. Havnt let her drive my tesla yet, and she acknowledges her record on new cars isnt good. Once past the first month, all good from then :mad:

Screenshot_2016-01-27-15-51-54.png

Is this an omen?

I had a ex-postie motorcycle cut in front of me and it seemed invisible to the Tesla so I wouldn't count on it seeing motorcycles, much less bicycles.
I've not seen it display a motorcycle icon on the dash either so I think that's a work in progress.

I don't know about bicycles, but I have had the car successfully identify quite a few motorbikes on the screen and followed them at set distance.

Was looking for something unrelated, and came across a full list of traffic offences and the related demerit points in SA. There are a lot of pages. There is no category or penalty that we could get for using summon. There are so many penalties that there isn't even a catch-all for just plain irresponsible driving. So if there is no penalty, summon by default must be legal?

Was looking for something unrelated, and came across a full list of traffic offences and the related demerit points in SA. There are a lot of pages. There is no category or penalty that we could get for using summon. There are so many penalties that there isn't even a catch-all for just plain irresponsible driving. So if there is no penalty, summon by default must be legal?

I had some pro bono ad hoc legal advice from a lawyer at a BBQ the other day. Apparently SA has rules regarding having the car engine running while the driver is not in the car. This affects cars with turbos which need to run the engine after stopping to cool the turbo. I did point out that given tesla has an electric motor one could argue the point of what it means to have the "engine running." In cold climates such as North America it is not uncommon for ICE vehicles to have remote engine start so you can warm the engine and car before you get in. These may also be illegal in SA for the reason above.

I had some pro bono ad hoc legal advice from a lawyer at a BBQ the other day. Apparently SA has rules regarding having the car engine running while the driver is not in the car. This affects cars with turbos which need to run the engine after stopping to cool the turbo. I did point out that given tesla has an electric motor one could argue the point of what it means to have the "engine running." In cold climates such as North America it is not uncommon for ICE vehicles to have remote engine start so you can warm the engine and car before you get in. These may also be illegal in SA for the reason above.

Having the engine running when you are not in the car is illegal in some places due to emission reasons. That is why Germany won't allow remote start in its vehicles. BMW and other German brands don't put them in because they believe that it is inefficient.

With a Tesla there are no emissions of course. But for pure EVs the border between engine off and engine on is very ambiguous.

Last edited:

Latest VF Calais has remote start, I can't imagine that they disable that for South Australia.

There is no penalty in the very long list of penalties for leaving an engine running. Hopefully soon there will be a penalty for running a fossil fuel engine without a permit.

So there are legal concerns re summons? Each year we hear tragic reports of driveway accidents in cars being driven by people. It must be one of the cruelest events for a parent to run over a child. How safe is summons? Can we assume that the sensors would prevent such an accident. Certainly if you are standing outside the car with the car coming towards you this must be safer than reversing it from in the car as you have a clear line of site. If you are outside the car and the car is moving away from you you must have an unclear line of sight. The ideal of full automation would be to avoid human error and accidents. If the sensors are up to the job then summons may well be safer than a car being driven by a human.

I agree with you 100%. Majority of accidents happen because of driver error. Automation is the key.