Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
webbah, NEVER did I see the rates of Model 3 and Model S are same!

You wrote:

"yes, you could use CHAdeMO with an adaptor or slower Type 2, but the M3 has CCS which is supported on all fast chargers. For me, time is money too and saving time on charging with all the CCS options available was a large driver towards the M3."

I wrote, a Model S ALSO can have CCS ("with all the CCS options available"), not only chademo.

• Disagree
Reactions: webbah
webbah, NEVER did I see the rates of Model 3 and Model S are same!

You wrote:

"yes, you could use CHAdeMO with an adaptor or slower Type 2, but the M3 has CCS which is supported on all fast chargers. For me, time is money too and saving time on charging with all the CCS options available was a large driver towards the M3."

I wrote, a Model S ALSO can have CCS ("with all the CCS options available"), not only chademo.
Don’t cherry pick from the thread. This is how I responded to you a few posts later:

“I’m going to assume it’s an adaptor which connects back to the type 2? In this case sure, but you won’t get the same charging speeds as native CCS. Especially with an older 85 battery.”

The user I was responding to is wondering whether to buy a used Model S or a Model 3 and this is something I consider valuable information for him to understand. Example, if you look at the links I also posted earlier with factual data on charge rates and LIMITS you will see that even with a CCS adaptor connected back to the Type 2 the Model S will get no more than 120 kW and depending on the age of the vehicle often less. The Model 3 on the other hand with NATIVE CCS can pull double that and often more (using iOnity 350 kW chargers).

I have very late model year 2014 MS 85. Literally 90% charge last week was 228 miles. Then this week for some reason 90% only gets us 219. Weather is actually warming here in N Calif so I don’t think weather related. Wondering if there’s something going on especially with the rumor that Tesla is holding back older batteries approaching warranty? I haven’t really researched that thoroughly, I think there’s a Class action regarding something of this nature? Just looking for thoughts from those more knowledgeable or am I being paranoid? Or is this a blip? Just seemed strange. 59k miles on it.

Oh, @tomas, you really are a "doubting Thomas"!

Of course this adapter fits also old cars, but in order to a small hardware must be changed too. For April 2019 on cars, no hardware change is needed. His Model S is 2014.

You don't have to believe me. This is fact, so easy. Cost is including labor 500€ at SeC.

• Disagree
Oh, @tomas, you really are a "doubting Thomas"!

Of course this adapter fits also old cars, but in order to a small hardware must be changed too. For April 2019 on cars, no hardware change is needed. His Model S is 2014.

You don't have to believe me. This is fact, so easy. Cost is including labor 500€ at SeC.
I don’t not believe you. But your only evidence is a friend and a year old article. You are counseling someone making a buying decision. If I were them, I’d want to see some real data showing charge rates on a car similar to their target S.

I don’t not believe you. But your only evidence is a friend and a year old article. You are counseling someone making a buying decision. If I were them, I’d want to see some real data showing charge rates on a car similar to their target S.
I posted in post #180 some factual data points on all Tesla Battery packs. Regardless to whether the CCS adaptor is available now or not it won’t push any more electrons through the Type 2 connecter than without an adaptor. I was dragged into a debate with wodnik7 and I regret feeding his trollish responses. He’s now trying to bait you too.

Please see the links in post #180 for valid reference data on charge rates. This particular part of this thread started with a valid question from user @Michachael considering to purchase a Model S 85 vs a Model 3. Data is valuable to making decisions like this in my opinion. That said, if I already owned a Model S I would seek out a CCS adaptor to be able to have more options available to charge, but this isn’t even close to having native CCS in a Model 3 for charge rates adaptor or not. And this is the main point I was trying to make for him to make an educated decision.

• Disagree
Reactions: wodnik7
I own teslas since 2016. I NEVER state something that is NOT true. If you do not believe me (you don't have to), visit a Service Center in Europe and ask. This is so simple!

Do you believe this?

@webbah: you are repeating yourself. First you wrote, no CCS is available for Model S, when I proved you wrong, you tried to state you were writing about "charging rates". This was nothing I stated.

You wrote: "One more thing to consider (I see you are also in Geneva) is the charging networks in the EU. Yes, you could use CHAdeMO with an adaptor or slower Type 2, but the M3 has CCS which is supported on all fast chargers. For me, time is money too and saving time on charging with all the CCS options available was a large driver towards the M3."

I only corrected stating, you could use ALSO CCS on Model S and getting same speed as on Supercharger on fast CCS chargers with the Model S.

Calling me "trollish" because you have no idea of what you are writing about, is childish. Have a great night!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
OK, so I would like someone to clarify for me.

Yes, the CCS to Tesla adapter exists. But my understanding was this was a EU only item, because the communication protocols for CCS in EU were different than the CCS version implemented in the US. Is that correct?

If that is NOT correct, someone point me to a kind soul that will go buy this adapter in Europe and ship one to me. I would be all game on testing one.

EU cars use a different charge port. Even if it worked electrically, it wouldn't physically fit in your car.

The CCS port layout is the same in the EU and US. That is what I'm talking about. For older Model S's, Tesla sells a CCS to Tesla adapter. That is the subject of this conversation.

EDIT - this is what we are all wondering about:
Tesla presents CCS adapters for Model S & X - electrive.com

The article states there is a hardware requirement, but doesn't go into detail on what that is.

The CCS port layout is the same in the EU and US. That is what I'm talking about. For older Model S's, Tesla sells a CCS to Tesla adapter. That is the subject of this conversation.

EDIT - this is what we are all wondering about:
Tesla presents CCS adapters for Model S & X - electrive.com

The article states there is a hardware requirement, but doesn't go into detail on what that is.
I understand that. But the car's charge port is different. NA cars use the Tesla connector we know and love. EU cars have a Mennekes Type 2 inlet. You can't physically plug an EU cable or adapter into a NA car, so it's worthless to you.

See the picture of the CCS adapter here and you'll see what I mean: Retrofit Tesla CCS Adapter for Model S and X

Bjørn's video shows lots of views of the Type 2 port and cables:

2013 Model S P85 - 123k miles
200-207 miles @ 90% SOC (which is what I charge to daily)
227 miles @ 100% SOC (which was at least 6 months ago)

While my battery has probably degraded more than most folks on here, it's range at 90% SOC charge has stayed stable within that range for over a year.

I very rarely charge to 100 percent but I can verify that at 90 percent charge I originally got 224-225. Now, nearly 7 years later, I get 219-220 at 90 percent. That’s a little less than 3 percent loss. Not bad at all.

I'm assuming to calculate degradation as a percentage is simply converting from percentage to mile on the cars range? Simple math then to subtract the miles noted today from the new car capacity provided when it was new? Otherwise how would one calculate degradation of the battery? I have a 2015 85D with about 32,000 miles.