Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
March 2015 85D 138,000 KM, supercharge occasionally
Original 100% = 432 KM (268 Miles) Now 405 KM (252 Miles) an 8% loss
Note: Prior to "batterygate", fall 2019, I was at 420KM (261 Miles), a 3% loss - which is significantly better than the norm. My supercharge speed was throttled too - which bothers me MUCH more than the few KM of range loss.

I have very late model year 2014 MS 85. Literally 90% charge last week was 228 miles. Then this week for some reason 90% only gets us 219. Weather is actually warming here in N Calif so I don’t think weather related. Wondering if there’s something going on especially with the rumor that Tesla is holding back older batteries approaching warranty? I haven’t really researched that thoroughly, I think there’s a Class action regarding something of this nature? Just looking for thoughts from those more knowledgeable or am I being paranoid? Or is this a blip? Just seemed strange. 59k miles on it.
I see no one replied to this.....

You are probably a victim of "batterygate" and "chargegate" (as was I). There are lots of threads about this, on this forum. It is believed that it came on an OTA update, some time after July 2019. Here's a couple of the threads:
Maximum battery charge level reduced
Sudden loss of charge amount and driving mileage.

Hi All,

My wife's car...

S 85D Mfg date 4/2015 45,000 miles 100% 270 miles

Battery pack 1055519-00-B

Very little Supercharging. I do not have a CANBUS tool to view the amount.
It's too bad that new "additional details" screen does not show total Supercharge kW/hr...

Shawn

Hi All,

My wife's car...

S 85D Mfg date 4/2015 45,000 miles 100% 270 miles

Battery pack 1055519-00-B

Very little Supercharging. I do not have a CANBUS tool to view the amount.
It's too bad that new "additional details" screen does not show total Supercharge kW/hr...

Shawn
Wow! Zero degradation after 5 years!
You should get a CAN bus reader just to document that. That must be pretty rare.

My question is why O why isn’t Tesla do a better balancing the cells on a lower state of charge??? For my e-scooter I make my own battery from dead battery packs and use the best cells into my “new” battery pack. For balancing I use a programmable BMS and here is it possible too do balancing from a state of charge. It is also possible too ‘cap’ the state of charge in full state to 4,19V. At this level the cells are not used by full capacity but it saves the lifetime. For my project I setup the BMS is starts balancing from 4,10 until the end of the charge process.

Attachments

• FBD06AA7-CECB-460D-81F4-D353FDE6BB33.jpeg
    FBD06AA7-CECB-460D-81F4-D353FDE6BB33.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 72
Hope everyone is sitting down for this....
2015 P85d. 92k miles. 100% 205 miles!!
Tesla tells me I am within 3% of the fleet!!
#batterygate
#chargegate
#fml
You're within 3% of fleet average because Tesla artificially degraded/capped many cars in the fleet. That brings down the overall average. I hope Tesla loses the lawsuit and is hit with NHTSA fines for hiding a safety defect.

almost 20% degradation—seems a bit high. I’m at about 3% degradation and about 60% of your mileage.

What’s the cars charging and drive history...?

You're within 3% of fleet average because Tesla artificially degraded/capped many cars in the fleet. That brings down the overall average. I hope Tesla loses the lawsuit and is hit with NHTSA fines for hiding a safety defect.

@BlueOvalFan
Vehicle was purchased in Oct 2018 with 31k miles, hence prior history is unknown.
I purchased the vehicle and have used supercharging very sparingly. No need for it really, have a charger at home and Tesla installed one at my business too. Typically charge to 90% and usually dont get below 20%.Ive tried 0-100% slow charge, 70% slow charge, 0-100% and 5 amps, nothing seems to help. Just charging to 90% now and hope the battery dies soon.
I am really torn about the company as a whole. I love the car but hate the lies.....just like everyone else.

@AmpedRealtor
I understand that but I have not come across a single vehicle that is down to 205 miles, maybe they are out there somewhere but I feel that number was just thrown at me to shut me up....yet another lie.