Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 price cut and 60 upgrade follows!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all of you girly men who are afraid to do the upgrade, just quietly pay the credit card bill next month and she'll never know. I guess I am lucky. It was my wife who weeks ago mentioned that we should watch for a much cheaper upgrade price when she heard the 60 was going away. Naturally I gave her credit for the upgrade last night.
It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Just upgraded from 70 to 75 for $500, so $100/kWh, vs $133/kWh for 60-75 I wonder why the difference?

perhaps because the 60 get the 140 speed upgrade too? 70 already had 140 mph top speed I think (the roads here are so bad I don't even know the top speed barely ever hit 100 once in a blue moon)

At any rate, feels like the best $500 I ever spent on a car

Last edited:
Reactions: David29
Just upgraded from 70 to 75 for $500, so $100/kWh, vs $133/kWh for 60-75 I wonder why the difference?

perhaps because the 60 get the 140 speed upgrade too? 70 already had 140 mph top speed I think (the roads here are so bad I don't even know the top speed barely ever hit 100 once in a blue moon)

At any rate, feels like the best $500 I ever spent on a car

Maybe because the 75 is only 72 kwh, while the 60 is actually 62? So 70 to 75 is actually $250/kwh, while 60 to 75 is really $200/kwh gain....

i'm most sad about the power liftgate... that's the one thing i wish i had, but was unwilling to pay the full premium price upcharge for the one feature i wanted in that package.

only sad.. not mad. wonder if model 3 will have the power liftgate standard... not optimistic though.

1) Model 3 has a normal trunk, so maybe but not really necessary.
2) I've been wondering if all cars came per-wired for the power lift gate and they just don't install the struts on non-premium cars (BMW does this a lot, since changing the wiring harness is a big hassle).
I'd bet the connectors are just tucked away. Question is whether they get power.

1) Model 3 has a normal trunk, so maybe but not really necessary.
2) I've been wondering if all cars came per-wired for the power lift gate and they just don't install the struts on non-premium cars (BMW does this a lot, since changing the wiring harness is a big hassle).
I'd bet the connectors are just tucked away. Question is whether they get power.
There is already a kit available that taps into the latch wiring.

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

Reactions: twonius
Interesting to see what the "price cut" looks like when i compare the prices for a 75D purchased today vs. my 70D ordered in July 2015.

At first glance, the base car would be a better deal -- today's 75D costs $74,500 whereas my 70D cost $75,000, essentially the same price but with 5 kwh more battery capacity in the new car and correspondingly 19 miles more range. Plus the car now has more content in the base model -- center console, power lift gate, glass roof, and some small items such as rear cupholders.

But looking at the car I actually bought gives a somewhat different picture. Selecting the same options (or as close I could), today's 75D would cost $90,800 vs the $87,450 sticker price on my car, a non-trivial difference of $3350. For that difference, I would have gotten:
* 75D vs 70D, with slightly higher range and slightly higher horsepower
* Version 2 of Autopilot vs version 1 (price difference for that option is substantial -- $5000 now vs $2500 then, and I am still not sure if the difference is worth it)
* Premium Upgrades Package that includes the HEPA air filters and Bioweapon Defense Mode plus dynamic LED headlamps with turning feature, but at an option cost increase of $500 ($3500 vs. $3000) and without the power lift gate that was the main reason I purchased the package.
* Whatever tires are now being supplied vs. the Michelin Primacy tires I got (not sure which one is better)
* The styling and other detail differences inherent in the "facelift" design (such as the center console that I paid extra for).

On the other hand, I could not now get my gray leather interior, unfortunately, and the seats are a different design.

The interesting question is, what would I order today? Would I save money by omitting the PUP, e.g., since the power lift gate is now standard, or would I want the HEPA filter and so on? Would I still want a sunroof? (I won't think about this now but will when it is time to decide about my Model 3 reservation!)

So the bottom line is, i think, that the base models are better values that they were 18 months ago, but the options are both more advanced and much more costly, especially Autopilot.

This is a GREAT deal. How could anyone not take it, save the few who do not - ever - need the the range.

If you still are on the fence: go for it. Deals like this don't come often.

Most of the 2,000$ will be easily recovered when (if) you sell the car.

As an investor I don't know what Tesla is thinking.

- was the take rate of the upgrade too low?
- do they want to give away something to their customers?
- ...?

The news of the reduced price battery upgrade just made my day. :D I don't really need the 75 kwh during my normal commute, but it'll really help during the first leg of my road trips.

The upgrade would have no impact on 98% of my driving needs. But that's just me.
I looked at EVplanner to see the impact of driving a 60 vs. a 75 from DC to Orlando. Same number of stops to recharge but about an hour less time recharging.

- was the take rate of the upgrade too low?

I think the answer to this is a big time yes. The price difference was absurd for what you got. From their end the cost is the same to manufacture. It wouldn't surprise me if the 60/75 split was greater than 80/20. At that rate you actually make more money doing what they are doing where you just raise the price by $2k and make them all 75s.

Now that we have a deluge of folks upgrading, can someone perform the upgrade with a "100%" charge on their 60 and then note what the SoC drops to after the upgrade is pushed?
I am doing exactly this. At 10:00, I started charging toward 100% of my 60 kw pack. When full, I'll change the pack to a 75 kw pack and see if I have any more headroom.

btw - whats this about increasing my top speed to 140 mph? Should be the same wiring and amp flow. I don't know what my top speed (capability) is now. Never wanted to test it out. Last time I drove over 100 mph, [in my 1975 turbo Porsche] I did not feel safe. In my current MS, I've hit 98 mph when passing - and only hit that speed when I looked down and WowThatFastThat Soon? The car might be able, but the driver is not.

Dinosaurs by then? The comet has already wiped them out, they just haven't figured it out yet.

RT
Incorrect. While the large dinosaurs died out, the small ones live on to this day. We call them birds.
birds_and_dinosaurs.png

xkcd: Birds and Dinosaurs