Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident for unable to brake efficiently: Tesla's or my fault? [early 2020]

Who is at fault?

• Me

• Tesla

• Hard to tell

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the original footage frame rate 36fps is not high enough to capture a precise 24 ft. I think averaging over a period of time is more accurate.
But I made a rough calculation though. It's about 15 frames per line, which makes 24 / (15 / 36) = 57.6 ft/s = 39.2mph
The advantage of capturing every ~ 24 feet is that you can trend your vehicle speed.

I agree that the frame rate is not high enough to e.g. put a marker at the start of every white line but you do not have to. Just advance the video ~ 15 frames and then pick a spot +/- a frame or two where you can reliably place the car in relation to the road markings so that you know how many feet the car advanced from the last marking.

Don't know the temperature, but it sounded like the OP was anticipating effective regen braking first. In my experience, regen braking is highly variable, at least in colder temperatures. So as a new Tesla driver, one has to be extra cautious until you get to "know the car" and in this case, its braking systems. Certainly before that kind of expectation to brake from a fairly high speed. Under the video conditions, I would have jammed on the real brakes and not trusted any regen braking.
I have been thinking about this being a possibility. The OP was at fault clearly for not stopping at time but I think he could have been caught off guard by this and the bad performing MXM4 tires on wet roads. The ABS noises and tire noises the OP mentioned points to the car functioning properly.

And OP mentions the temp was between 50 and 70? I suggest use something like weather underground historical weather and compare to the time/date of the accident and see what the temp really was.
Do you have any rear footage that shows when your brake lights come on?

OP cut it too close and lost and needs to own it. Tesla is not going to find anything wrong with the car.

I have been thinking about this being a possibility. The OP was at fault clearly for not stopping at time but I think he could have been caught off guard by this and the bad performing MXM4 tires on wet roads. The ABS noises and tire noises the OP mentioned points to the car functioning properly.

And OP mentions the temp was between 50 and 70? I suggest use something like weather underground historical weather and compare to the time/date of the accident and see what the temp really was.
Do you have any rear footage that shows when your brake lights come on?

OP cut it too close and lost and needs to own it. Tesla is not going to find anything wrong with the car.
Checked underground weather report, it was 53F at that hour.
And I can't see brake lights from rear camera.

Checked underground weather report, it was 53F at that hour.
And I can't see brake lights from rear camera.
I didn't think you would see brake lights but thought maybe a car could have been behind you and reflected them back or something. Regen on a car that has set out in 53 F is a lot different than 70 F. I was shocked at first because I thought regen was lost only when it got down in the 30s.

Use regen to brake is how most people drive a Tesla, right?
For me, I'd typically use regen first and then apply brake when speed is lower than about 15mph to come to a full stop. I might have overestimated the power of regen under that road condition.
And 50mph sounds way too fast. If I were at 50, other cars were also speeding. Don't know if there's any way to infer speed from video.
Most people use AutoPilot. AutoPilot would have prevented the crash. People forget that the moment you use the brakes, you lose AutoPilot.
You didn't read the article.
"While every Model 3 currently being produced gets driven on a track, Tesla doesn't expect that policy to continue either. Once the assembly process becomes a known quantity, with inefficiencies and errors ironed out, the average quality of the vehicles will go up, meaning there will be less likely to be wrong with any vehicle that rolls off the line. At that point, Tesla will change over to the same spot checking policy that it uses on Model S and Model X, both of which are by now well established in terms of manufacturing."

It's not happening now, at least not to UK cars I can assure you.

Where's the PM information?
There are screen shots of Tesla Service screens showing that the car tracks the brake usage, and if it has not occurred in a set period of time? the car will use physical brakes instead of regeneration braking to clean off the rotors.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I didn't think you would see brake lights but thought maybe a car could have been behind you and reflected them back or something. Regen on a car that has set out in 53 F is a lot different than 70 F. I was shocked at first because I thought regen was lost only when it got down in the 30s.
Ah there's no car close behind me and I can't see any reflection due to bright daylight...sad
upload_2020-3-2_20-35-19.png

The MXM4 tires are champions of range and efficiency, but literally nothing else. They have no grip which most people might say "they're not racing around corners" but stopping power in emergency braking is compromised too. They skid even in warm dry sunny weather.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoodManFrank
How to use regeneration braking safely? For example, should one start regeneration braking early than one would use regular break. Do you think using regeneration braking may increase the chance of accident as one may misuse it?
Around now, it is jumping around from 20degs to 40degs. And under such conditions and needing to stop, I would immediately take my foot of the accelerator and start real braking. I would try to judge (very quickly!) if regen is doing enough and if not get aggressive with the real brakes. In this winter, regen is hit or miss. Often I try to give it a chance and find it is doing almost nothing, at least for 10-20 car lengths. Nearly every drive/trip, I have to first "discover" how much regen I have, say the first 10mins of the drive, which in many instances is the entire duration of the trip.

Some posts here seem to be blaming the stock tires. I really don't find them that bad at least for such a simple task as facilitate brakes to work as expected. So I doubt the tires are the true issue here. They don't skid for me under typical everyday conditions. I'm fairly certain that if the OP had jammed on the brakes, his car would have come to a screeching stop in fairly short order. But he never did...

Last edited:
Around now, it is jumping around from 20degs to 40degs. And under such conditions and needing to stop, I would immediately take my foot of the accelerator and start real braking. I would try to judge (very quickly!) if regen is doing enough and if not get aggressive with the real brakes. In this winter, regen is hit or miss. Often I try to give it a chance and find it is doing almost nothing, at least for 10-20 car lengths. Nearly every drive/trip, I have to first "discover" how much regen I have, say the first 10mins of the drive, which in many instances is the entire duration of the trip.

You can also tell by the dots on the left side of the regen/acceleration line (below speedometer) to see how much regen you have. If the entire left side of the line is dotted there's virtually no regen. Same for the right side for acceleration though that's rarely limited for me.

Some posts here seem to be blaming the stock tires. I really don't find them that bad at least for such a simple task as facilitate brakes to work as expected. So I doubt the tires are the true issue here. They don't skid for me under typical everyday conditions. I'm fairly certain that if the OP had jammed on the brakes, his car would have come to a screeching stop in fairly short order. But he never did...

I agree the stock tires are fine 99% of the time. But in my hard emergency braking tests during damp and even dry conditions, it reaches its limits much quicker than most other all season tires.

• Informative
Reactions: GoodManFrank
Most people use AutoPilot. AutoPilot would have prevented the crash. People forget that the moment you use the brakes, you lose AutoPilot.

There are screen shots of Tesla Service screens showing that the car tracks the brake usage, and if it has not occurred in a set period of time? the car will use physical brakes instead of regeneration braking to clean off the rotors.
That's nonsense. The car won't apply the brakes itself to slow instead of regen. You have to press the brake pedal to apply the brakes other than when the car goes into hold mode. Even 'drying mode' will only cause the pads to lightly contact the rotors to clear them of water.

Reason I always have cruise control/AP active.

That's nonsense. The car won't apply the brakes itself to slow instead of regen. You have to press the brake pedal to apply the brakes other than when the car goes into hold mode. Even 'drying mode' will only cause the pads to lightly contact the rotors to clear them of water.
1) You've never experienced the car applying brakes while on Autopilot?
2) Why is there a CANBUS signal called "Brake Disc Wipe Request"?

1) You've never experienced the car applying brakes while on Autopilot?
2) Why is there a CANBUS signal called "Brake Disc Wipe Request"?
1) I don't use autopilot so I've no idea
2) That's for wiping water off the discs

If there was some sort of PM mode which kept the discs free of corrosion and pad pick up, why do I see so many owners with discs in bad condition through lack of use?

So much speculation in this thread. i think if an officer were involved, OP would have been listed as "at fault". Tesla's insurance coverage is an interesting piece here. I don't know what kind of driver risk mitigation they are performing to protect themselves as a company/offering. Without mechanical proof that there was an equipment malfunction, OP is at fault for failure to stop/yield in wet conditions and I'm sure the police report would state the same. The vehicles that OP passed were already braking as OP continued to drive. Even if AutoPilot were engaged, OP still has a responsibility to "keep hands on wheel" at all times. These cars are NOT autonomous and I wish people would stop assuming so.

Status
Not open for further replies.