Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 2.20.49 PM.png

I just picked up my MY last week. Drove it for the first time at night (old projector headlights) and they are awesome. Not sure I get the big deal about the new ones. From videos I’ve seen they are maybe a 10% improvement. Not worth all the effort imho. Ohh and to confirm 271xxx still has old headlights.
Just to clarify, the older lights that ship on the MYLR aren’t projector. ;) They’re reflectors while the new global lights are projectors. I think for a lot of people getting the MYLR with the reflectors, their opinions will vary based on what kind of car they’re coming. I had a BMW X3 with fully adaptive LEDs and the lights on my MYLR are a noticeable downgrade — definitely not awesome.

Reactions: Platini
Just to clarify, the older lights that ship on the MYLR aren’t projector. ;) They’re reflectors while the new global lights are projectors. I think for a lot of people getting the MYLR with the reflectors, their opinions will vary based on what kind of car they’re coming. I had a BMW X3 with fully adaptive LEDs and the lights on my MYLR are a noticeable downgrade — definitely not awesome.
At least the fogs are projectors! I remember in 1989, when the 1990 Accord came out, the first car ever to have clear lenses with faceted reflectors, and we all thought it was amazing. There were a few projector lens headlights out there, mostly in BMWs, who called the technology 'ellipsoid beam' and were in housings made to resemble big round sealed beam headlights.

Reactions: Arkbird and JHCCAZ
I’m following this thread because I want to believe that it’s possible to retrofit the new headlights into cars that have the old headlights, but the main reason I want them is the aesthetics. I prefer the look of the projector headlights and their blacked-out interiors (i.e., I prefer this over the chrome-laden old headlights).

I find all the speculation about the new headlights being software-limited matrix headlights to be funny. The Model 3/Model Y don’t even have auto-leveling headlights, nor the sensors to enable that functionality, which is a key part of actual matrix headlights. My $.02: these are just a newer style headlight, with interesting “service menu” functionality. Probably a preview of Tesla headlight technology to come, and nothing more. That or a part of yet another “in two weeks” update that the cars will never get. I’m wagering that actual updated headlight functionality won’t come till a second gen Model Y debuts. If European Model 3/Model Y isn’t even getting the best version of current headlights (they’re not, since output above a certain amount requires auto-leveling and headlight washers), then no way the U.S. will, given our ridiculously outdated FMVSS.