Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I went to Tesla Dublin, there were many MY LR AWD with VINs in the 137xxx-14xxx range and they are all with old
I’ve seen that video and it’s from England with all the matrix light features activated. But here in the US I don’t think all those features are active.

That’s why I said I was hoping someone would make a video comparing these new lights on cars here in the US. So we can see whether they are that much different from the old reflector LED lights.

Reactions: Mrbrock
I agree with Casey (DFW represent) that it is very un-tesla-like to have one set of headlights for 4 of the 5 model 3/Y trims and another for just one. I think the most likely situation is they just decided to use the remaining supply/contract on the MYLR. It is possible they want to improve the cost margin on what will likely be the highest volume car this year by keeping a cheaper headlight, but my guess is it will switch over eventually. Could be tomorrow, could be a year from now.

I think we will also see the door trim change over eventually as well. I don’t think we will see the HEPA filter in the US, because I think that was something they felt was worth the cost to entice buyers in China. I also don’t think we will see an air suspension anytime soon. Just no reason to cannibalize the X.
DFW in the house! I’m with you - from an easier/more efficient production line standpoint it just makes no sense that they’d use the new lights on every M3/Y except one. I think it’s just a matter of time. Also agree with you about the air suspension and HEPA filter. I think in most markets they’ll reserve those for the S/X.

My hypothesis,

These new lights will require a different wiring harness and end connector vs standard/current lights.

The new center console and heated wheel would also require a new wiring harness...

One of these may be true:

1. Tesla will have multiple wiring harnesses for the same model year, and only some can support the new headlight. (euro and MYP)

2. The new wiring harness required for the lights wont go into MYLR or SR, which is why there havent been any. They wouldnt swap the harness mid quarter and jeopardize deliveries with the additional manufacturing headache.

3. The wiring harness is universal, the headlights are interchangeable and you'd be able to swap them aftermarket.

Someone should do a tear down on a MYP w/headlights and the latest MYLR w/o and see if the connectors match. Both should be US market models, not something from Europe or China.

If you are on the Westcoast and delay for lights, you won't get a car until end of 2nd quarter

Also in Europe they have reduced output due to lack of headlight washers. US doesn’t have those regulations so even the old lights are much better than the new ones. Although we can’t use Matrix features so not sure what benefit they are right now
That’s why we need a U.S. model YP or 3 w the new projector vs the old reflector light comparison. It would be hilarious if we find out the old lights are indeed better, although I doubt it.

That’s why we need a U.S. model YP or 3 w the new projector vs the old reflector light comparison. It would be hilarious if we find out the old lights are indeed better, although I doubt it.
The UK comparison video would most likely be identical if done in the US. The headlight hardware itself will be the same. Matrix headlights are not illegal in the US. US regulation requires there be a high beam and a low beam and not anything in-between. Matrix headlights allow for an adaptive driving beam that will dynamically change the beam pattern to adapt to the road and not blind other drivers. However, you could make those same matrix headlights "dumb" by just having a high beam and low beam. All Teslas with the new headlights are "dumb" right now, but could improve with a software update based on US regulations. Not sure if EU Teslas make use of adaptive driving beam yet, but in the comparison video linked in a previous post, there was no on-coming traffic. Both high and low beam "dumb" modes were demonstrated. I am pretty sure the hardware itself is identical, so the comparison holds for US spec.

The UK comparison video would most likely be identical if done in the US. The headlight hardware itself will be the same. Matrix headlights are not illegal in the US. US regulation requires there be a high beam and a low beam and not anything in-between. Matrix headlights allow for an adaptive driving beam that will dynamically change the beam pattern to adapt to the road and not blind other drivers. However, you could make those same matrix headlights "dumb" by just having a high beam and low beam. All Teslas with the new headlights are "dumb" right now, but could improve with a software update based on US regulations. Not sure if EU Teslas make use of adaptive driving beam yet, but in the comparison video linked in a previous post, there was no on-coming traffic. Both high and low beam "dumb" modes were demonstrated. I am pretty sure the hardware itself is identical, so the comparison holds for US spec.
Identical indeed, but not the same. EU headlamp regulations are quite different from US ones, e.g. EU (low beam) requires a sharp horizontal cut-off line and allows asymmetrical patterns (in RHD countries the low beam can shine higher to the right). US allows some light dispersion above the horizontal cut-off. In general those matrix LED headlamps allow the manufacturer to just have software changes to adapt to one or the other, but 'dumb' lights will most likely have different parts for EU vs. US.

There is also the power issue I referenced above Due to lack of headlight washers. Without washer Euro regulations require output to be reduced.

Meanwhile, halogen and LED headlamps do need one if their light sources emit more than 2000 lumens. Indeed, this is required for ECE approval. (Under the DOT regulations in North America headlamp washers are not mandatory at all.) These do not refer specifically to xenon, but as no approved halogen lamp exceeds this threshold value and as this also is the case with most LED systems, only xenon headlamps are, in fact, affected in practice. They emit around 3000 lumens.

Here is the wording why advanced headlight systems are illegal here. From a AAA study.

2. Regulatory limitations to allowing advanced headlamp systems in the U.S.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) developed by NHTSA specify technical requirements for all vehicles sold in the United States. Automotive headlamps are regulated by FMVSS 108. This regulation clearly defines headlamp performance, installed position, luminescence, considerations for glare, and aiming for both low beams and high beams. Although FMVSS 108 does not specifically address or prohibit the use of ADB lighting systems, certain technical requirements have been interpreted to rule out their use. Two relevant sections of FMVSS 108:

• §9.4: Low and high beam headlight beams cannot be energized at the same time. This is a fundamental obstacle to allowing ADB headlamp systems in the U.S.

• §6.1.5.2.1 to §6.1.5.2.3: These sections detail scenarios where high and low beams are allowed to be used simultaneously, but they do not include the basic function of ADB systems.

FMVSS 108 also outlines detailed photometric requirements for both low and high beams. ADB headlamps use a combination of low and high beams at the same time, and deactivate the lights in specific areas to prevent glare. Unfortunately, this dynamic lighting control makes ADB headlamps unable to meet all of the requirements specified in the FMVSS standard.

so what's the consensus
How worth is it to wait for the headlights?

I just checked the IIHS headlight ratings for my vehicles comparing them to the 2019 model 3 headlights and it beat all of them in distance.
For reference: prius prime with those rectangular looking led headlights and the lexus rx350 with triple beam LED which I thought were pretty bright as it is.

However, the lexus with the bi-xeon projector led did CRAZY good and did beat the tesla headlights which makes me assume that the projector headlights will do much better in their headlight rating.

I was debating whether I should wait till April for the MY LR for a possibility that I might get the updated headlights with an April build but per my SA it looks like all vehicles in April will be built in March. Might as well get it now lol.

"The new headlights are still being prioritized for the Performance Model Y. There is no direction for that changing anytime soon. The vehicles that may be available in April are going to be vehicles manufactured in March. Therefore, they would not have the updated headlights until the company announces the change, if ever."

I was debating whether I should wait till April for the MY LR for a possibility that I might get the updated headlights with an April build but per my SA it looks like all vehicles in April will be built in March. Might as well get it now lol.

"The new headlights are still being prioritized for the Performance Model Y. There is no direction for that changing anytime soon. The vehicles that may be available in April are going to be vehicles manufactured in March. Therefore, they would not have the updated headlights until the company announces the change, if ever."
I fail to see how that could be true. They’re suddenly going to stop building Ys in April. Spring break holiday? First 2 weeks they’ll likely be trying to push their leftover March builds, but you can bet they’ll still be making new builds. The real question is how long will it take them to exhaust their supply of older headlight units. That’s the game that many like myself are impatiently playing. I’ve decided I’ll give it till the end of April.

I was debating whether I should wait till April for the MY LR for a possibility that I might get the updated headlights with an April build but per my SA it looks like all vehicles in April will be built in March. Might as well get it now lol. <snip>

Take what an SA says with a bucket of salt. Tesla will be pushing to get every single vehicle out of the door. While there may be some inventory left from March builds, I don't think it's going to last all the way through April. There is way too much demand for the Y in my opinion.