Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on 100D uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reached out via executive escalation to find out if my 90D produced in June of this year could be uncorked and unfortunately, their response was...

"At this time - 100Ds may be receiving an uncorking upgrade. I have reviewed your vehicle though and note that you have a 90 KWH battery. Your battery was not software limited - so you would not be able to upgrade your battery to a 100D and receive the uncorking."

The reasoning here is BS. And here's my data points:

1. Just above we see @boonedocks' 100D produced 2/17 (with old motor configuration, same as 90D) is eligible for uncork. So it's not an issue with the motor.

2. Regarding battery packs limits:

Both 90D and 100D packs are 400V. This is 1.142X the voltage of the 75D pack (350v), some rough math tells me that if the uncorked 75Ds in @Krash 's metric summary are hitting 368KW, then scaling that X 1.142(which maintains the same current limits), the 90D pack should be able to hit 420KW.

420KW is coincidentally in the range of what the uncorked 100Ds are putting out...
*Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Side note: I've also seen that my same 90D battery P/N (1088790-00-A) has been used in P90D configurations. (Which have much higher amperage limits).

Source: 2016 Model S P90D - $92k

As a side note to my above posts, I had emailed several days ago through the “MyTesla” page and asked and also just received this:

Hello Richard,

I am currently working with Project Management regarding the fact that these bulletins are not automatically populating.

Based on your current car's configuration, you should be eligible, but your service center won't be notified. Without hooking up to your car, I can't determine with 100% certainty, so that's why I used "should."

If your service center asks you how you knew that you should be eligible after upgrading, you can show them this and let them know it's because Engineering said that the SENSOR PROTOCOL NUMBER has to be greater than 3, and yours is a 5 - the technicians will know what to look at. Unfortunately, the Engineers haven't created a notification for the customer team members at the service center without having a technician look at your most recent logs and configuration. This upgrade will take about 2 hours at the service center.

Thank you for your time and loyalty to the company!

• Informative
Reactions: Shaggy and MP3Mike
I bought my 100D (showroom car) on 10/31. I'm not certain of the build date, but it's not an early 2017 car.

I emailed Tesla asking about the drive units, Px performance configuration, and uncorking. I got this reply today:

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Tesla and my apologies for the delay in response.

1) Is this car equipped with the newer drive unit DU00? Yes

Is the performance configuration P1 ? Yes

2) Is there anything to the rumors of 100D’s being “uncorked?" Yes, and your vehicle is already "uncorked" as that performance update applied only to vehicles built prior to July 2017.

The reasoning here is BS. And here's my data points:

1. Just above we see @boonedocks' 100D produced 2/17 (with old motor configuration, same as 90D) is eligible for uncork. So it's not an issue with the motor.

2. Regarding battery packs limits:

Both 90D and 100D packs are 400V. This is 1.142X the voltage of the 75D pack (350v), some rough math tells me that if the uncorked 75Ds in @Krash 's metric summary are hitting 368KW, then scaling that X 1.142(which maintains the same current limits), the 90D pack should be able to hit 420KW.

420KW is coincidentally in the range of what the uncorked 100Ds are putting out...
*Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Side note: I've also seen that my same 90D battery P/N (1088790-00-A) has been used in P90D configurations. (Which have much higher amperage limits).

Source: 2016 Model S P90D - $92k

Thanks for the detailed points. I want to dig deeper into my config and understand what my current config state is. I agree it makes sense that 90D batteries should be able to deliver the power. Just not sure if there is some kind of fuse limiter.

My car is currently in the Service center, so I text them to ask about the upgrade, they said my car is a DU00, and:

"... as for the performance increase you vehicle build date is actually after the cut off date for the service bulletin. What this means is your model X (I actually own an S), came with the software from the factory floor. As your car is set up you have duel small drive units front and rear with a 100 kilowatt hour HV battery pack..."

He then goes on to say the S is 0-60 in 4.1 seconds uncorked. Does it sound like I got an uninformed tech?

My car is currently in the Service center, so I text them to ask about the upgrade, they said my car is a DU00, and:

"... as for the performance increase you vehicle build date is actually after the cut off date for the service bulletin. What this means is your model X (I actually own an S), came with the software from the factory floor. As your car is set up you have duel small drive units front and rear with a 100 kilowatt hour HV battery pack..."

He then goes on to say the S is 0-60 in 4.1 seconds uncorked. Does it sound like I got an uninformed tech?

It sure will be nice to get some official communication as to what is eligible and what is the performance before and after

It sure will be nice to get some official communication as to what is eligible and what is the performance before and after
Well it isn't "official" but as William Gibson would say "the future is already here, it just isn't evenly distributed". If your car was built after July 1 your car has the latest performance. non P 75Ds and non P 100Ds are eligible. Lower cars need to be upgraded to at least 75 in order to be eligible. 75RWDs are mostly not upgradable, the exception being a rare DU00 drive unit car built in late June that missed upgrading at the factory. Some 85s can be hacked by experts here to be uncorked but the impact is minimal and Tesla will likely revert your car and reprimand you. No 90s have been uncorked. One SP100D got an offer to get uncorked but didn't pursue it. (We suspect that the P100D impact would be negligible but if anyone uncorks a P100D, please do a quarter mile runlog for us before and after.) If you want to check if your car is eligible, ask your service center to check your VIN. If you get a no then ask the service advisor to check if your SENSOR PROTOCOL NUMBER is greater than 3 which would allow you to schedule to get the latest performance. If that number is 3 or lower you are out of luck. Alternatively you can check the google spreadsheet on VINs which is not exact but a good leading indicator. If you are outside of the US then the service centers may still be getting up to speed. As for exact performance you can check here.

What we really need is an FAQ so everyone doesn't have to dig through thousands of posts. Unfortunately you have to be a moderator or pay a lot to have rights to continually edit an FAQ. Otherwise it just ends up a long thread through which everyone has to sort misinformation.

Last edited:
To add to others, I emailed Tesla as well and their Executive Care team checked my car and said I was also already uncorked. The system notes: 'Perf Add On: Uncorked'.Car is a July build. So. I guess I need to get my SOC charge up and see if the times and power peak I observe is purely related to SOC.

Do we know what is the actual performance difference between a corked vs uncorked 100D?
I know the 75D is supposed to get a significant boost, is the improvements on the 100D significant?

DragTimes was able to get a lower 0-60 time, but from data collected by @Krash it seems like the 100D uncorking has more to do with maximum power at higher speeds. Think better passing speeds on the highway, where before the car would back off probably related to a current limit (max amps)

DragTimes was able to get a lower 0-60 time, but from data collected by @Krash it seems like the 100D uncorking has more to do with maximum power at higher speeds. Think better passing speeds on the highway, where before the car would back off probably related to a current limit (max amps)
The faster 0-60 is really reliant on SOC. Past 90%, I feel a significant difference in the acceleration and have clocked 3.5-3.7s repeatedly. Below about 85%, upper end acceleration remains pretty similar but the launch is more subdued and 3.9-4.1s.

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
I have a Sept 17 build S90D. Asked the uncorking question to Exec Escalation l, and they confirmed that my vehicle has already been uncorked from the factory. 0-60 in 4.0sec with 60% SOC per PowerTools.

Wow this is really promising news for us 90D owners.

If they can uncork a 100D built 2/17 and they can uncork a 90D built 9/17, then it would seem that a 90D built 2/17 can also be uncorked....

@vthomas Could you share your 90D Powertools logs with @Krash so he can add them to his collection here: Upgraded performance Metrics Summary