Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any US Model 3 Performance deliveries in 2019?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something really shady going on.. sadly.
When I got the call with the possible replacement car option, I specifically asked the gentleman two questions: 1) Is the VIN 2019? 2) Can you confirm this is NOT a demo car?
He said it was a 2019 VIN and NOT a demo car. After my OK he proceeded to match to said VIN.

I later receive the contract with a 2018 VIN and marked as "Service/Demo". The IDA now is saying also that I am no longer able to cancel my order because I had a VIN assigned.

Extremely shady practice. After they noticed that I was inclined to cancel, they misled me into accept a VIN when I clearly asked the question above. Just lost a lot of faith in the company. If you are in the same spot where I was.. on the fence about waiting with no ETA for VIN, please be careful when you get a call about a possible match. Make sure you get in writing all details before accepting it.

You can also refuse the 2018 VIN and request a 2019 VIN, as others here have done. That would be a totally reasonable request they should honor.

Reactions: neroden
For now, that's what I've done Marc, but the fact still stands that by using this shady method they basically removed my right to cancel the order and can let me wait for a car for months..
As for returning it for a full refund, it only applies for the cost of the car, and you add up doc + transport, etc.. you are still down basically 2k.

For now, that's what I've done Marc, but the fact still stands that by using this shady method they basically removed my right to cancel the order and can let me wait for a car for months..
As for returning it for a full refund, it only applies for the cost of the car, and you add up doc + transport, etc.. you are still down basically 2k.

Sorry to hear, yeah that’s not cool.. I would try to escalate this issue to the executive team, if you’re really serious about canceling. I’m sure they don’t want the bad publicity and would want to know that what their team is doing is being perceived as playing shady tricks, even if it’s just a perception issue.

Damaged in shipping. P3D
Same thing has happened to me. My delivery date was set for tomorrow 3/18/2019. The local showroom called yesterday to tell me when it arrived they noticed damage. They said they use open transport trucks from Freemont that are out in the elements. He said they see this often. And that my delivery will be delayed.
I went into the showroom then & walked the lot to find the car to inspect it. Went into service to ask about it. I met the service person that called me. He greeted me & said "Are you the customer with the cracked windshield?". I said, No, you told me paint damage. He said it had already been sent out to a Tesla authorized body shop.
He said the front hood has specs in it. They will remove the hood, paint it & reinstall. He promised that it will be of the highest of standards. None of the mechanicals are bothered.
This is crazy. How does this happen? I know there was a big weather storm this week in upper Midwest that it probably went through. If the hood has specs (that means chips), what about the fenders, nose, windshield as well.
Not sure what to do. I told them I used to work at a body shop & that I’m very particular (which I did & I am).
Whenever it’s ready, I guess take an hour or so to inspect & tell them No if it looks bad. They should discount it as well. I know they charge the transport company back to pay for damage & then I get stuck with a defective car.

• Informative
Damaged in shipping. P3D
Same thing has happened to me. My delivery date was set for tomorrow 3/18/2019. The local showroom called yesterday to tell me when it arrived they noticed damage. They said they use open transport trucks from Freemont that are out in the elements. He said they see this often. And that my delivery will be delayed.
I went into the showroom then & walked the lot to find the car to inspect it. Went into service to ask about it. I met the service person that called me. He greeted me & said "Are you the customer with the cracked windshield?". I said, No, you told me paint damage. He said it had already been sent out to a Tesla authorized body shop.
He said the front hood has specs in it. They will remove the hood, paint it & reinstall. He promised that it will be of the highest of standards. None of the mechanicals are bothered.
This is crazy. How does this happen? I know there was a big weather storm this week in upper Midwest that it probably went through. If the hood has specs (that means chips), what about the fenders, nose, windshield as well.
Not sure what to do. I told them I used to work at a body shop & that I’m very particular (which I did & I am).
Whenever it’s ready, I guess take an hour or so to inspect & tell them No if it looks bad. They should discount it as well. I know they charge the transport company back to pay for damage & then I get stuck with a defective car.
Hey man, I know your pain... my first P3D in December came with some paint chips, paint discolorations, scratched taillight, misaligned glass roof, panel gaps and misalignment, and a scratched bumper but they didn't even hold it back from me taking delivery! Sounds like they've improved at least on the delivery center side in inspecting the car before giving it to the customer. I ended up with a nightmare scenario in which the car went to the body shop two separate times and came back both times with additional scratches and some slightly mismatched paint, so if I were you I would pay very close attention to the details when it comes back. Just an FYI, if the body shop hood paint doesn't look great, request a factory painted hood as I was given the option when my fender came back mismatched and the hood was scratched.

I ended up going through a buyback because of all of the issues but not recommended if you can help it as it takes a while, is a pain with the lending component, and is just a mess to deal with.
(2018 P3D went into service 12/27, buyback process started 1/25, new 2019 P3D order 2/26, final buyback signoff 3/15, final buyback payment pending, 2019 VIN assigned 3/18, delivery est. 3/20)

Good luck with your car and hope the body shop does a perfect job. FYI they likely won't discount but could offer service $ or alternate options of replacement as I mentioned.

Thanks Z P3D

Update: I went into the Tesla Service center today & asked for a manager. I started talking about my experience with Auto Body shops & that I want a different car instead. It didn't sit right with me to pick-up my new car that was damaged & it's already been to the Repair shop. He said it should not be a problem & that he agreed with me. I said I don't have a problem waiting because I have another car.

I knew there was no way they could force me to take the vehicle. So the delivery continues.

Reactions: AtlantaMCR
I was able to get a Dec 2018 build dual motor with delivery miles for $3650 off yesterday. No discounted P3Ds available in Atlanta. It was a struggle not waiting for my P3D order to come in, but the $14k difference won out. The P3D is an amazing car as I had one and drove it for 2200 miles in Oct/Nov. Enjoy that neck snapping acceleration everyone!

Ok, here the update,
Pickup the 2019 3P+ yesterday and the car had zero issues. (Red color)
There are a few improvements over the 18 model.
1. The rear plate has a mount so you don’t scratch the paint.
2. You can program the new keys from the outside. No longer have to use the center console.
3. The adaptors for charging you phone are longer, so it will work with a case.

There is probably more improvements, but that’s all I know for now.
Aslo NO Spoiler, they said the mobile team will reach out once they have it in stock.

• Informative
Reactions: outie and Nrazar
Ok, here the update,
2. You can program the new keys from the outside. No longer have to use the center console.

Aslo NO Spoiler, they said the mobile team will reach out once they have it in stock.

Congrats! What was your order date? I just switched my paint color from white to red earlier this morning...looking at the order tracker it seems like more red P3D's have been delivered recently than white.

**edit - just read back a few posts, saw your order date was 2/14.

Ok, here the update,

It is just ridiculous they dont have spoilers yet on new cars. It's a piece of carbon fiber with tape, how hard can it possibly be?

Finally got my car! Almost 2 months of waiting.
The car was mostly good except for the trunk being slightly misaligned, and then the front left fender has a larger than expected gap from the A pillar. The delivery guy took some pictures. I hope he sent it to service or something.
Happy to have the car!