Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting... In your video @ 4:40, you can't even turn on Autopilot. I see that it is the final, "straight" bit of Fuglefjellvegen.
I pulled the map tiles from Tesla. Viewing the stretch in DamianXVI's ADAS Map Viewer, I see that the particular stretch is packed full of spline nodes - 82 units! I wonder why that is... DamianXVI? verygreen? scottf200?
It doesn't make any sense to me why there is so many spline nodes there. NOTE that in the other lane that there are 52 spline nodes.
J8PvysU.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
No they can't. Drones are in the air with zero obstacles on a dedicated high bandwidth satellite up link on one of the world's most advanced networks.

If my car had to stop and wait for my GSM connection to give someone time to make a decision, I would literally die.
Well, right and wrong. Remember 186,000mi/sec, it's the law! Drones don't just send the commands 3,000mi line of sight, but to space and back. Adds a little distance. I'm sure they have some sort of algorithm to reduce the latency to nearly zero, but if they can do it, Elon can do it.

Well, right and wrong. Remember 186,000mi/sec, it's the law! Drones don't just send the commands 3,000mi line of sight, but to space and back. Adds a little distance. I'm sure they have some sort of algorithm to reduce the latency to nearly zero, but if they can do it, Elon can do it.
The take off and landing are done by a local drone pilot then when they are high enough up it switches to the pilot on the other side of the planet. Since they can fly for a long time it doesn't take a lot of local pilots to handle all of the take off and landings.

I pulled the map tiles from Tesla. (...) I see that the particular stretch is packed full of spline nodes - 82 units! I wonder why that is...

It doesn't make any sense to me why there is so many spline nodes there. NOTE that in the other lane that there are 52 spline nodes.

This is a minor thing, but you are confusing two concepts - you are talking about spline nodes/points, but highlighting on the screenshots the number of elements in Local Speeds list. Those two does not have to be related. There are 18 and 46 nodes on those splines, which is still a lot.

I don't know why exactly there are so many nodes and speed points, but I may have one hint. In both those cases the spline needs to be divided into segments of equal sizes. For spline nodes I think it is needed to simplify the calculation of the position along the spline. For speeds list this is just how this list works. So if for any reason the entity creating this map decides, that it needs a short segment to properly describe the geometry of the road or the distribution of speed, than it needs to divide the whole spline into equally short segments.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Run into it. At least for the foreseeable future. Eventually it may avoid or come to a stop but now.

Ouch ;) Do you suspect that the HW2 platform can capture enough info for future s/w algorithm enhancements to achieve avoidance? I really wonder if HW2 will achieve full autonomous travel... many times we engineers don't know what we don't know, until we get out there and try... I suspect HW2 is a huge step forward, yet possibly Try2 of a couple more HW iterations to come over the next several years as new challenges are uncovered by real-world testing. Somebody has to do it and have loyal customers willing to assist along the way... keep up the great work Tesla!

[ btw, sorry for the typos in the original question... child distracted at home... kind of like child distracted while driving at times... all the more reason for AP assistance ]

Ouch ;) Do you suspect that the HW2 platform can capture enough info for future s/w algorithm enhancements to achieve avoidance? I really wonder if HW2 will achieve full autonomous travel... many times we engineers don't know what we don't know, until we get out there and try... I suspect HW2 is a huge step forward, yet possibly Try2 of a couple more HW iterations to come over the next several years as new challenges are uncovered by real-world testing. Somebody has to do it and have loyal customers willing to assist along the way... keep up the great work Tesla!

[ btw, sorry for the typos in the original question... child distracted at home... kind of like child distracted while driving at times... all the more reason for AP assistance ]
Purely speculation at this point, since FSD is speculation at this point, but I wouldn't see why the camera's and/or radar couldn't "see" enough to mitigate or avoid this type of collision. The NN "just" has to be trained to identify road debris, but probably more challenging is the driving policy has to be taught when to avoid it (no obstacles in adjacent lanes) or just run over it, if that is the lesser of evils so to speak. As we all well know, sometimes you just don't have a choice but to run over debris if there aren't any other options.

Reactions: brkaus
btw I was exploring this whole cars display in the past couple of day and it seems that AP itself is pretty aware of the cars in adjacent lanes, just not communicating this info to IC. But it all changes when you try to change a lane, then it sends the relevant data there and you can see it on IC.

Internally this can be see in debug variables (ic/cid side) as:
Code:
DAS_autoLaneChangeState,InProgressR
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicle2Distance,51.000
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicle2ID,63
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicle2LatPosition,-1.400
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicle2RelVelocity,2.000
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicle2RelevantForControl,false
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicle2Type,Car
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicleDistance,20.000
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicleID,10
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicleLatPosition,-0.400
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicleRelVelocity,2.000
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicleRelevantForControl,true
DAS_cruiseLeadVehicleType,Car
DAS_cruiseRightVehicle2Distance,@invalid
DAS_cruiseRightVehicle2ID,@invalid
DAS_cruiseRightVehicle2LatPosition,@invalid
DAS_cruiseRightVehicle2RelVelocity,@invalid
DAS_cruiseRightVehicle2RelevantForControl,false
DAS_cruiseRightVehicle2Type,Unknown
DAS_cruiseRightVehicleDistance,29.500
DAS_cruiseRightVehicleID,74
DAS_cruiseRightVehicleLatPosition,2.800
DAS_cruiseRightVehicleRelVelocity,-2.000
DAS_cruiseRightVehicleRelevantForControl,true
DAS_cruiseRightVehicleType,Car

So here we can see that there's a car to the right that IS relevant to control and then ape communicated its existence to us.

I realize there's nothing groundbreaking as it was known for awhile the IC displays adjacent cars when you are changing lanes. Just showing some underlying mechanics. vehicle IDs are interesting, I am sure there were no 74 cars around me at just that moment, so there's probably some sort of memory in the system for that? Sides are still blind spots too as right about when this snapshot was taken the car tried to change lane into a car to the right of me that was not seen by the front cameras.

hm... I was examining a snapshot I accidentally made just a minute or so before the above data and noticed an interesting thing...

2901564303776.img.data.jpg 2901566826976.img.data.jpg 2901590520160.img.data.jpg 2901597351328.img.data.jpg 2901610687968.img.data.jpg 2901613515264.img.data.jpg 2901616793248.img.data.jpg 1145812431360.img.data.jpg

So I looked around and found a snapshot from a couple of days ago that had an even more interesting one
backup4.jpg

The timestamp is different from all the other cameras (a lot more in the past) so ape realized something is amiss I guess.

hm... I was examining a snapshot I accidentally made just a minute or so before the above data and noticed an interesting thing...

View attachment 266145 View attachment 266146 View attachment 266147 View attachment 266148 View attachment 266149 View attachment 266150 View attachment 266151 View attachment 266152

So I looked around and found a snapshot from a couple of days ago that had an even more interesting one
View attachment 266153

The timestamp is different from all the other cameras (a lot more in the past) so ape realized something is amiss I guess.

Can you explain what is interesting, I’m not seeing it =(

Reactions: StefanSarzio