Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Tesla Service Centers bad enough to cancel my Model 3 order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you a hypochondriac?
Cause most people don't buy a brand new car & automatically think it needs to be in the shop .
Well it could be buyers remorse. All the problems something has seems to be exaggerated mentally after you finally pulled the trigger. As soon as the return period is done, you enjoy the product a lot more BUT I don't know if that's how it would work for a car.

@Socomm203

In a collective 3 years of Tesla ownership I have visited the service center once. To fix a flat tire.

Also, you should be aware that Tesla now uses mobile service (at your house or work) to handle as much as possible. I did get a “house call” to change a 12V battery once, which was pretty cool.

Mobile service is an awesome perk of Tesla ownership that many people are not aware of until they own one.

It's safe to assume that, in the event of an accident, a Tesla will be in the shop longer. If the other drivers fault, you'll get a loaner (thought I very much doubt it will be another Tesla); if your fault, then it depends on the coverage of your insurance.

That's my opinion. It didn't dissuade me from taking delivery of my 3. You have to decide what's best for you.

I cancelled my plans for a 3 and will wait for the Y.
The nearest serviced center is 900km away.
Hey Elon, what about Saskatchewan? You lived here when you were young remember?
I really wouldn't worry much about the 900 km. Mobil service really does work. I once had it work over 1000 km from the nearest SC.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
I can only speak about the SC in San Diego in Kearny Mesa, I didn’t see any Auto Body work being done, I went in to have my Homelink module installed. These guys are TOP NOTCH! The customer service I Recd was amazing, they even offered to give me a Model S Loaner to get home which I declined. The one tech worked with Tesla for 6 years and knew what he was talking about and I hit him with every question possible including firmware...If Auto body is your main concern then go to a reputable Auto body shop. That’s what I would do. Have the car back in less then 2 weeks instead of 6 months.

Fred

I ordered a Model 3 about a week ago and it is scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday (5/21/19). I've seen some threads where people are describing the horror of taking their Model 3 into a service center (Mainly for body repairs). On more than one occasion there was someone who was without their car for 6 months+.

After reading so many people telling the same story this got me a little concerned. I am not really willing to be without my car for half of a year while it sits idle at a service center.

So what I am curious about is others experience with this, and mainly with how it went regarding body panels. How did Tesla handle your repairs?

Thank you in advance for your input!

250,000 Model 3 owners may be your answer.

Stop assuming that a forum is a representative sample of a community and realize that it is the sample of the negative portion of a community. For every bad post, there are probably 1,000 people without the issue.

If you need a serious service it could take a few months but it's not much different than many other car manufacturers. I had a hydrolocked Mercedes and it took over 2 months with my insurance calling them daily and they'd just never respond at all. The thing with Tesla is, there's a lot more of the same cars and people like sharing their stories because there's an audience who wants to read. That can't be said about many other cars so stories about Teslas tend to be amplified.

Reactions: jerry33
I don't have much experience with SC but if your car ends up in a crash (even a minor fender bender) it may takes from a week or two to few months in body shop, subject to the availability of parts. If you are at fault with the collision you may end up driving a prius loaner for that few months.

I cancelled my plans for a 3 and will wait for the Y.
The nearest service center is 900km away.
Hey Elon, what about Saskatchewan? You lived here when you were young remember?

Is there no ranger coverage? I'm only 200kms from the service centre but I've never been there. I've had three ranger visits, all for relatively minor warranty things and they were excellent. I think the list of things that require the SC over a ranger is pretty small i.e. major, unusual issues.

Reactions: EinSV
If you've spent any amount of time reading this forum, you'd get a really clear picture that a large % of cars end up needing service for something (typically related to poor QC).

I think it's more that a large percentage of people who post new threads on here do so in relation to problems. That does not make it representative of the amount of problems amongst owners, at all. For every person complaining about some issue there are thousands of us with zero issues, enjoying ownership. Same for any vehicle and any internet forum.

I live in the Bay Area, CA, supposedly "ground zero" for Tesla ownership. I have several (10s) of acquaintances at work with Teslas and no complaints on service and praise for Tesla's mobile service units.

I've been on several forums for different vehicles, read lots of horror stories,never experienced one. Forums from a data perspective are far from robust or representative.

Our S has required the most service of any car we've owned in several decades. However, I'd still buy it again knowing all that, it's a really excellent vehicle that we both enjoy driving every time we take it out. Tesla, the company, leaves a lot to be desired, but the car, IMHO, is worth it.

If you are a car enthusiast even to a small degree, I'd strongly recommend going for it. If you view cars as merely transportation, maybe not.

• Disagree