Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-steer does not slow down at curves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am driving 2021 MY with FSD. When using auto-steer it enters tight curves at full speed, it manages to stay in lane but makes a very uncomfortable ride. Things fly around in the car. Are all cars like this?
I am wondering how Tesla team did not consider a solution for such a common problem? What else have they not consider? I can't trust a product developed by people who would miss such an obvious issue.

Reactions: X-pilot
I am driving 2021 MY with FSD. When using auto-steer it enters tight curves at full speed, it manages to stay in lane but makes a very uncomfortable ride. Things fly around in the car. Are all cars like this?
I am wondering how Tesla team did not consider a solution for such a common problem? What else have they not consider? I can't trust a product developed by people who would miss such an obvious issue.

It's beta. Sometimes it works fine. Other times not so much. You can get into very bad trouble if you let the system drives you instead of you driving the system.

I know it is beta, but handling curved roads properly should have made to the beta. Curved roads are everywhere.
It has been this way ever since I fully paid FSD in 2017. It has worked for some curves and not others. People have bought Autopilot longer than I did since 2014 and after 7 years, the "beta" behavior is still the same so you are welcome to tell Tesla to hurry up and make it right with the curves maybe in another 7 years (that's 2028 or maybe we should round up to 2030).

Last edited:
Most Interstates (which is the main use case for Autosteer) don't have curves sharp enough that you need to dramatically slow. There are exceptions (I-95 in Providence RI, for example). Many of us (myself included) use it on secondary roads at times but it isn't really intended for that. And you do need to be in control of the car all the times.

Similar to what @DanDi58 says, if you are going the posted speed limit, it should be expected that the car will hold the curve while maintaining its speed. Do you have roads where the speed limit cannot be maintained in the curves? I'm not talking about taking a turn to change to another street, just bends in the road. IF so, the speed limit of that road seems wrong (under normal conditions).
I have personally found the car to be too afraid and slow down too much on those curves since I know the car can take them at the set speed. I guess everyone's different :) That means a setting is required.

My YLR also slowed down in my last long trip (last May). Not sure if it still does now after many software releases.
Does it slow down when there are no other cars in front of you? Are you using auto pilot or auto steer?
Similar to what @DanDi58 says, if you are going the posted speed limit, it should be expected that the car will hold the curve while maintaining its speed. Do you have roads where the speed limit cannot be maintained in the curves? I'm not talking about taking a turn to change to another street, just bends in the road. IF so, the speed limit of that road seems wrong (under normal conditions).
I have personally found the car to be too afraid and slow down too much on those curves since I know the car can take them at the set speed. I guess everyone's different :) That means a setting is required.
many highways curve so much that going a little above speed limit can be very dengerous.

A common scenario I have is a 55 MPH rural two lane road with a yellow 35 MPH warning sign for an upcoming curve. On FSD beta, the car *might* slow down slightly prior to the curve but still enters the curve well above the posted 35 MPH warning speed. As the car enters the curve, it adjusts the speed downward as the lateral g-forces increase. But, the g-forces are still quite aggressive.

If it's an inside curve, it's common for the car to come very close to and possibly slightly cross the center line.

I can understand not slowing down to the warning speed. Those speeds are significantly lower than required for a passenger vehicle. But if the car cannot stay centered in the lane, it's taking the curve too fast.

I know it is beta, but handling curved roads properly should have made to the beta
Just making sure, you did get into FSD Beta? Your previous posts were about how you hadn't gotten into the beta yet. If so, what does the visualization show for the curves it's not slowing down for? Is it multiple curves or specific ones that might be more odd?

We are discussing the old autopilot, while the new one (FSD Beta 10.X) has been tested for quite a while now.

Is the old one still worth discussing at this time? Tesla will probably not concentrate on improving the old one while the new one is nearing roll-out.

We are discussing the old autopilot, while the new one (FSD Beta 10.X) has been tested for quite a while now.

Is the old one still worth discussing at this time? Tesla will probably not concentrate on improving the old one while the new one is nearing roll-out.
Actually the new one is not for highways it is for city. Even with the new one when you get on the highway it switches to the old one. They are two different stacks. So yes they do need to improve highway stack.

I drive at full speed around corners because that's how I drive. I suspect Tesla needs to have a choice on the screen to let the car know who's driving. My wife could use "female" mode, as she'd be upset with "Granny" mode. Then there'd need to be a mode for inexperienced drivers, hot rod drivers, experienced drivers, etc. I would have felt perfectly safe letting the car drive, though I always have a hand on the wheel and eyes on the road, so this would not have happened.

And I don't use FSD much at all. I like to drive, not to nanny.