Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm telling you how it rings to me - how it seems to me.

What? Okay, assuming "rings" and "seems" have the same meaning, which they do not, but even accepting they do for the sake of argument, here's the change:

I doubt anyone is ignoring it, we've just seen it before and it rings hollow. A PR stunt if you will,

I doubt anyone is ignoring it, we've just seen it before and it seems hollow. A PR stunt if you will,

I never asked you about the last part of the sentence -- only the first where you say: "we've just seen it before". I asked for one example. The way you said you've "seen it before" I expected at least one example and many more. Actually, I knew you were just blowing smoke, and making things up, and your answer based on semantics only proves my point.

It's nice of you to basically call the Tesla rep who posted here a liar based on having "seen it before" but now we find out you've actually seen nothing, but you "seem" to have seen something... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
First of @Canuck, to put this response in perspective, this is what motivated me to respond to you:
I also find it telling how the Tesla bashers completely ignore your post and your efforts to make things better. But please know that a lot of us here appreciate your efforts and your posting here. I've been on other forums, including the GM Tahoe hybrid forum in 2008 when I bought one when they first came out. Service was also an issue, and you'd have to wait for service until the hybrid trained tech was working, or they brought one into town, but no one from GM ever posted on that forum when we complained about that.

I felt this warranted a response to explain why I feel I and indeed IMO many ("bashers" included) ignore such posts. I think there are some valid reasons to not place too much value on such posts.
What? Okay, assuming "rings" and "seems" have the same meaning, which they do not, but even accepting they do for the sake of argument, here's the change:

I know we get along overall, so I'm just assuming you're coming from a place where you got my message wrong instead of intentionally twisting it. And maybe I was unclear, so that is why I am clarifying. I hope you really read my clarification and try to get what I'm trying to say.
It's nice of you to basically call the Tesla rep who posted here a liar based on having "seen it before" but now we find out you've actually seen nothing, but you "seem" to have seen something... :rolleyes:

This here is a big accusation from you, which I don't agree with at all. I never "basically called" anyone a liar. I was - and am - saying two things:

1) Unfortunately mere posts on the Internet from Tesla no longer mean we can assume the issue really is taken care of. I will explain below why this is not at all a lie (or at least I wouldn't know if it were and am not assuming it is), though.

2) Even where this particular issue of body shop escalations is taken care of as said (which it may well be), what still bugs me about it is its reactive nature. Someone shouldn't have to escalate their body shop and spare parts experience somewhere to get results, let alone escalate it to the public eye. Yet that, unfortunately, has been the history in many cases. Suffer in silence, get results through publicity. I hope they will fix this and promised to acknowledge when they IMO have, which is hopefully not too far in the future...
I never asked you about the last part of the sentence -- only the first where you say: "we've just seen it before". I asked for one example. The way you said you've "seen it before" I expected at least one example and many more. Actually, I knew you were just blowing smoke, and making things up, and your answer based on semantics only proves my point.

I thought it might be more important for you to actually understand my message than dissect one piece of text? You know, intent vs. interpretation. :) But if we must, let me explain.

Here is what I said:
I doubt anyone is ignoring it, we've just seen it before and it rings hollow. A PR stunt if you will, to fix the problem for the public few. And Tesla having blamed the body shops for this in the past was just bad form...

Once they fix the underlying cause, and we start seeing evidence of this being history, I promise to sing their praises.

So far it does seem Tesla prioritizes parts for new production vs. repairs.

So you asked about "we've just seen it before"? Well, the first point is, we have literally seen this message many times before, so I'm sorry if I (and for many, I assume we) am/are not so excited about it anymore after months of the same. You said people were ignoring the message, IMO this is a big part of why people are ignoring the message. Months of copy-paste messaging is not terribly exciting.

Tesla has posted that same message or one very similar here at least on June 29th, July 13th, July 21st, July 25th and October 10th:

Search Results | Tesla Motors Club
We can help -- we have a team of Body Repair case managers at your disposal. Email your name and VIN to [email protected] and they will hop right on your repair. We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order and there's no reason for a repair to take this long. Let us help!

We can help -- we have a team of Body Repair case managers at your disposal. Email your name and VIN to [email protected] and they will hop right on your repair. We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order and there's no reason for a repair to take this long. Let us help!

We can help -- we have a team of Body Repair case managers at your disposal. Email the name and VIN to [email protected] and they will hop right on therepair. We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order and there's no reason for a repair to take this long. Let us help!

We can help -- we have a team of Body Repair case managers at your disposal. Email the name and VIN to [email protected] and they will hop right on the repair. We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order.

There, of course, there are promises such as this on TMC from Tesla representatives:
Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to everyone throughout this thread who had faith in us that we were doing the right thing. Your support is always greatly appreciated.

So, what’s going on… This thread started as the result of a change to our website specs page and a response from one of the Tesla Team about rear seat reading lights and the desire to increase visibility for tall customers. The following highlights exactly what we’ve been working on.

The beta Lighted Vanity Visor that first showed up in Model S was not acceptable to us from an appearance, function or size standpoint. So we rejected it and immediately started working on another version. In the meantime, we started delivering cars. We did not want to be delivering cars without Lighted Vanity Visors when our webpage specs said otherwise…so we changed the specs page to be more accurate at that moment in time.

The removal of 2nd Row Reading lights from the specs page is also an “accuracy of the moment” issue. We removed these from the specs page because we were working on another initiative that might impact what type of light we could use in the back seat for a reading light. Basically, we found a way to potentially add a few millimeters of additional headroom in the back seat. As part of that initiative, we didn’t know for sure if we would be able to use the same light fixture, or even the same type of reading light going forward…so we deleted it from the specs page to be more accurate at the time.

Both of these issues are temporary issues, and for those of you who have been following us for a while, you know how we operate. When something doesn’t meet our expectations, we dive right in to fix it. We work hard to find the best solution possible, then we implement it. We try to keep all information as up to date as possible, but in today’s world, that sometimes causes problems from a communication standpoint. Nevertheless, we always feel as though it is better to be as accurate and up to date as possible, even if it makes things a little tougher for us from time to time.

You will soon see another change to our specs page. You will see the addition of 2nd Row Reading Lights. We have been able to accomplish what we set out to do with the rear seat headroom, and will be able provide reading lights in the same place as originally planned. We focused first on the headroom adjustment because that is more complicated within the car itself, then we focused on the lights and placement. To avoid any further questions about what will happen next, let me be perfectly clear... there will be a few early cars delivered that do not have 2nd Row Reading Lights. However, we will be happy to install them in the future (at no charge of course). The wires are already in place so this is not a major event.

You will not see the Lighted Vanity Visor back on the specs page for a little while longer because we are still working on getting the form factor and functionality exactly the way we want it. It will be lighted, it will have a mirror, and it can easily be retrofit into all cars. In fact, we will be encouraging everyone to get the retrofit.

So just to be clear, all cars that get delivered are set up to have reading lights in 2nd row seats and Lighted Vanity Visors. Those that don’t have the latest and greatest when they receive their car can have these items retrofit at no additional cost.

I hope this helps clear up all questions regarding this issue. Please understand, we are very, very serious about everything that goes into Model S. We are doing all we can to make every millimeter count while still listening to what our customers and future customers want. We are going to have lights in the right places, a shelf that was asked for by customers in the console area, and a lighted visor mirror that you can look into and smile. And when all is said and done, that is what we are really striving for…you smiling.

GeorgeB

All Model S promised retrofitted lighted vanity mirrors, free of charge, by a Tesla rep on TMC. That one obviously never came true, though in theory they still could fulfill it. It is just that after five years many people who it was targeting can no longer benefit from it as they've moved on to new cars...

Second:
Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon

This one resulted in Tesla actually limiting the power of all Performance Ludicrous vehicles, instead of removing the limiters. Technically it does say they are only removing "all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage", because they went on to remove performance tied to, well not frequent, but all max power usage. :) It became a lawsuit on the P90DL recently and Tesla was "encouraged" by a judge to reconsider, which they did... (Some limitations may still exist, but less so on P90DL.)

I think these people posting for Tesla are very likely 100% truthful when they do (though probably aware of the PR nature of their text when formulating or copy-pasting it). One problem is the PR nature of the texts themselves, that is an issue with any corporate comms as it becomes a bit hard to interpret reliably sometimes. The second problem is, these posters appear to be a part of an organization that IMO seems to have a history of showing these promises on TMC can not be taken at face value. Third, IMO just fixing body shops through escalations is not satisfactory, they should fix the parts supply overall.

And then, of course, there is this and this.

So adding all this IMO up, eventually results speak for themselves, not the messages. Once the spare parts/body shop situation truly is solved, it will show up in people like the OP posting different original experiences and all will be well IMO. Until then, personally, I am watching and waiting before singing anyone's praises. That was my point.

I hope this helps to understand why I wasn't as appreciative of that message from TM Ownership account as you were. What I do appreciate is OP getting results of course. But I what am really rooting for is this to get resolved overall...

• Helpful
Reactions: croman