Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if I do a reboot if it will bring the sensors back online lol. I didn’t want to believe it would take that long either, but there’s only one body 3 shops all over 60 miles for me, and there was a dark model s hanging out in the back front end pretty messed up, that they said was there for a long time. Wonder if that owner visits these forums?

after a year of babying my car, it finally took its first whack in a parking lot. The hit, although seemingly far away from the sensor, made parking assist disabled. Certified Tesla body shop says 6 months to fix, and Tesla can’t look at it without double dipping insurance. So as a PSA here’s what happens to autopilot when your sensors are out: car stays centered in the lanes - dead center in fact , but lane change is gone. Barriers also go unseen. No summon and no park assist. On the plus side there’s no crazy beeping when I pull into the garage lol. Looks like I’ll have limited function for 6 or more months while I wait for the parts to come in, then who knows how long to fix, So I’ll be living vicariously through everyone on here getting updates that improves auto pilot well mine hangs out at 50% capability LOL. View attachment 252877

This seems odd. We are currently getting both front and rear bumper replaced on an MS with an estimated 3-4 weeks to be completed. I would contact Tesla body shop team -

Body Shop Support

could it be that tesla is not focused on making replacement parts? their focus, right or wrong is on making parts to keep the production line moving.
True. But right now, it's the body shops word. Others are claiming much faster for similar looking repair. Of course, we are all arm-chair repair folks and haven't seen the exact details.

OP - Here is the Tesla page on body shop help -

Body Shop Support

• Helpful
Reactions: fasteddie7
You guys are just used to the old ways of the dinosaurs in the auto industry...like repair parts supply. Squares!

#misrupt

/s
for one thing tesla is very different than the old line manufacturers in the repair parts game because in the case of tesla there are no aftermarket parts made for a tesla, you must buy any replacement parts from tesla but maybe you're right, however I bet your tune would change if it were your car sidelined for months waiting for tesla to deliver a replacement part.

As others have noted, it's probably worth calling the Tesla Body Shop Customer Advocates to see if they can shorten your repair interval. Its not clear where the bottleneck really is from what's been shared; there have been previous instances where the body shop said there was a delay in the parts, but that was not the case - the delay was the queue at the body shop. Not defending Tesla, just saying I'd want to validate what I was told, unless I was fine with the interval.

Thanks for sharing the behavior of Autopilot in your situation.

• Informative
after a year of babying my car, it finally took its first whack in a parking lot. The hit, although seemingly far away from the sensor, made parking assist disabled. Certified Tesla body shop says 6 months to fix, and Tesla can’t look at it without double dipping insurance. So as a PSA here’s what happens to autopilot when your sensors are out: car stays centered in the lanes - dead center in fact , but lane change is gone. Barriers also go unseen. No summon and no park assist. On the plus side there’s no crazy beeping when I pull into the garage lol. Looks like I’ll have limited function for 6 or more months while I wait for the parts to come in, then who knows how long to fix, So I’ll be living vicariously through everyone on here getting updates that improves auto pilot well mine hangs out at 50% capability LOL. View attachment 252877
How comfortable are you getting your hands a little dirty and doing a little temporary DYI repair? You could take the rear bumper cover off and see what happened. It doesn't even look like the damage is at the sensor. If the shop is saying they need they need the harness, it's just wiring, probably can be spliced together while you wait the 6 months. It takes about 15 minutes to drop the rear bumper cover (ok, the first time I did that it probably took closer to an hour, but that's because I was going really carefully as I am not a car mechanic, that and one of the screws in the wheel well took me over 15 minutes to locate, while I unscrewed a wrong screw at first). Who knows, maybe the harness just disconnected due to the collision? Maybe a wire is torn and could be spliced back. Below is what my car looked like when I took the bumper off to install a rear radar detector antenna under the bumper skin. It really helps to have the little ramps to drive onto to access the bolts under the car. Check out Model S tow-hook installation videos or how-to instructions online which describe the procedure of taking off the bumper skin (that's what I did the first time around, once I did it once though I could do it again without any instructions). Disclaimer: Attempt at your own risk, don't if you don't think you can put it back together, not feeling comfortable with it, or don't know how to do it safely (crawling under a 4500lb has to be done safely). Also consider the risk that there might be more damage under there making it hard to put back together.

PS> The sensor harness connects on the right side of the car, near the wheel well. I once forgot to connect it back and was able connected it only partially peeling the bumper skin or the wheel well lining off (don't remember exactly, but I didn't have to remove the entire bumper to do it.

PS2> If you have one of those inspection cameras on an end of a flex tube that you could stick in there, you can get access to stick one of those under the bumper from the wheel well and at least take a look. Way harder to manipulate and see things that way but you could do it by removing only a couple of clips in the wheel well instead of the entire bumper.

TeslaRearBumperOff.png

for one thing tesla is very different than the old line manufacturers in the repair parts game because in the case of tesla there are no aftermarket parts made for a tesla, you must buy any replacement parts from tesla but maybe you're right, however I bet your tune would change if it were your car sidelined for months waiting for tesla to deliver a replacement part.

Sorry Kort, I was being sarcastic. I agree with you completely.

For years now, I have watched Tesla say they were going to revolutionize various aspects of this industry. MOST of the time these ideas were driven by either: lack of scale to do things like the industry (i.e. we are going to drive little vans around and fix cars on your driveway,) or ignorance of the reasons the industry acts in certain ways (Elon talking about car output per cubic meter of factory volume come to mind)

No doubt Tesla has shown the public EV can be a practical vehicle...but 5+ years later, zero parts department? customers with damaged cars are literally fighting against the factory for the parts they need?!?

I hope the profit calculation for Model 3 wasn't based on the same childish naivete, or heaven help us all...

Reactions: Just a Reader
We can help -- we have a team of Body Repair case managers at your disposal. Please contact Body Shop Support and they will hop right on the repair. We're shipping 95% of parts within 4 days of order.
Someone reached out to me. I felt bad reaching out because I have a drivable vehicle and didn't feel right complaining about a part when folks have vehicles that are disabled and cannot drive at all. I was just hoping the 6 month timeframe was a worst case given as the shop said they were new to Tesla certification. Looks like Tesla is on it anyway!

Body shop called today wanting to know where I got the six months timeframe, almost in an accusatory fashion. I explained when I sat down I recall them saying backordered parts could take weeks 6 to 8 I recall, and that they were new and had no idea how long parts can take to come in but it could be a long time and when the vehicle was being repaired if something else was found it could take even longer with 60-90 days being thrown around. They then explained that that was worst case scenario they were preparing me for as not to set incorrect expectations. I appreciated that and had no expectations. I don’t believe I misheard the timeframe but they seemed upset that I came on here to discuss it even though I was trying to help with autopilot functionality not complain. I apologized to them if I misunderstood what they were trying to convey to me timewise and that my intention wasn't to bus roll them as I added both timeframes for worst case scenario. I'd hate for there to be bad blood between the shop and myself before they work on my car, makes me a little uneasy, but it's amazing to know Tesla is out there looking out for us and holding shops accountable.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mal_tsla
Wiring harness? Did it get dented? :rolleyes: Or are the sensors attached?

I still wish My Tesla page had any info on parts ordered from Tesla by a body shop and the status. Interesting to know who is telling the truth. Perhaps the body shop is just overbooked.
Yeah, there is no reason (other than priorities/attention constraints to date) why the car itself wouldn’t, after obvious opt-ins, send all the failure data it has, provide recommended service centers or ranger schedules, and order the parts and provide ETAs automatically.
You could even get that on your app/screen before you even got out the car to check on the ding... and get an alert with “oops! A non-disabling failure happened with your car. A loaner can be at your location in 30 min, do you need one today/tomorrow/no thanks/talk to someone/ask me in 15 mins”:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My hope is that with higher profitability the company will be able to invest in improving and innovating the experience of the whole lifecycle; and hope the laser focus required to achieve their mission to date doesn’t push the average customer base too far beyond tolerance. Leapfrogging the traditional repair and integrating the car, helpdesk and CRM is something no other manufacturer does imo but can yield efficiency and satisfaction. Here’s to hoping!

My hope is that with higher profitability the company will be able to invest in improving and innovating the experience of the whole lifecycle
I'd say Tesla is on their way. They called me seemingly based on this post even though I wasn't complaining about timeframes and only looking to provide my experiences with autopilot without ultrasonics. I mentioned on the phone to Tesla that I had no complaints about the body shop and I believed they were giving worst case scenarios as to not set me up for disappointment and that I wasn't going to reach out to them until I felt an unreasonable amount of time had passed as my vehicle was still drivable and there are others stuck without and it wasn't right for me to complain after a few days when others had be waiting for way longer. Tesla appreciated it but let me know all their customers are valuable and they are looking out for us no matter what. I know Tesla called and talked to the shop as they called me and we're professional but concerned/upset about my postings. It was weird to explain to them I added worst case scenarios up and the tesla community is very passionate about their Tesla family and everyone was looking to help, but I'm sure they were trying to help also. Through this whole thing Tesla has been super proactive and I'd say that's a good sign. I honestly feel like a valued customer of Tesla and the whole experience of ownership thus far with 3 to 4 interactions with the service center for warranty work and annual services, and this insurance claim, I'd say my experience has been top notch.

That's ironic, do you explain the basis of every disagree that you give? What about when you're wrong, do you go and undo the disagree?

That's a lot of disagrees you'd have to be accountable for ;)

View attachment 253301
as a matter of fact I usually do express my point of view and back up my reasons for disagrees, which in turn sometimes generate even more. exactly what is the point that you're trying to make other than being plain old disagreeable?

Thread De-railers bitch about each other here.

So what is the time required to receive components of the rear bumper according to Tesla?
95% of parts are shipping within 4 days according to them. Based on my conversation with Tesla I'd say they are working hard to leave the image of having body shop horror stories behind them. I'm super impressed with my experience so far

UPDATE: just got a call from the body shop all parts are in except one part for the sensor. It literally took only 3 days, we'll see how long the sensor takes. I have no doubt Tesla is taking customer concerns with time very seriously and getting issues handled.

Reactions: ibdb
UPDATE: just got a call from the body shop all parts are in except one part for the sensor. It literally took only 3 days, we'll see how long the sensor takes. I have no doubt Tesla is taking customer concerns with time very seriously and getting issues handled.
it's my squeaky wheel theory in practice once again. IMHO sometimes you need to be that annoying squeaky wheel to set things in motion when dealing with tesla.