Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so frustrated because I was told my my delivery date ap2 would be much better thank my ap1 car. So I went all out checked every box $160,000 and now my model x is here. It is not even close to what I was told not even parity! Not Tesla says take the car it will be updated soon. I was told that before and it's not!! I fell completely stuck! I traded in a car already so now I don't even have that

Regardless of what the sales people told you, parity should arrive in the near future. At least we have functionality because when I took delivery of my car on 11/30/16, NOTHING worked. Not even basic cruise control.

Why do you say that? According to ev-fw 91 have gotten it vs. 197 that got 17.5.28. So almost 50% of the people reporting... I would call that more than "not many".

Numbers for the latest are fairly high, yes, but both the latest update and 5.36 seem centred on US and Canada, which is annoying for the rest of us! Although the tracker now shows someone in the Netherlands getting 17.7.2, so hopefully it will go wider.

Local autosteer is what I expected. Not perfect but about what ap1 did. I'm actually satisfied with the current implementation. It requires a lot of supervision but under the advertised conditions it does deliver. On sharp or long curves it will cross double yellows which is the biggest flaw. I was able to use on unmarked local road and it did great using the middle of the road and curb as guides without a lead car or any cars around. Impressive.

I used 17.5.36 for a couple miles when returning from a 500+ mile road trip yesterday. I thought it did well on the winding road (non-divided, 35 MPH) and was impressed when it chose the correct lane when I was in a single lane that split into three lanes (turn lane on each side).

As for highway autosteer, it did great dealing with traffic headed up the mountains on I-70 west of Denver. There was a 15 mile traffic jam where I let the car drive an entire hour with speeds averaging 5-10 miles per hour. After the traffic thinned out, it continued to do fine with speeds up to 50 MPH.

I used TACC for approximately 95% of the 500+ mile trip and it did very well. There were a few minor hesitations when acceleration was decreased very slightly due to overhead signs. They were just slight pulses and no measurable change in speed. There was a more pronounced deceleration (but still only a few MPH) when approaching the first tunnel while driving west downhill through Glenwood Canyon on I-70. Also it slowed down a few MPH when heading east through Idaho Springs where the interstate was heading downhill at a turn and there were large signs off the road and an overpass just after the turn. I did notice that TACC would automatically decrease speed before some turns.

Overall, it did quite well but I'll be glad when speeds of 55+ are allowed as that would permit me to use it almost all the time on road trips.

After the recent update, I noticed my AP 2.0 works on city streets up to 35 mph. So far so good, it looks to be working okay but I found out it doesn't detect red lights or stop signs. As I was approaching an intersection, I had to hit the brakes as the car wasn't slowing down. Tested it again at the next light and had to hit the brakes again.

After the recent update, I noticed my AP 2.0 works on city streets up to 35 mph. So far so good, it looks to be working okay but I found out it doesn't detect red lights or stop signs. As I was approaching an intersection, I had to hit the brakes as the car wasn't slowing down. Tested it again at the next light and had to hit the brakes again.

Read the owners manual. You are using this incorrectly. Even if you bought full self driving, that is a year away or more. We'll see if and when Tesla starts that journey.

All that has been released so far is (1) TACC (traffic aware cruise control), which is nothing but cruise control that controls longitudinal acceleration and deceleration based solely on vehicles in front of you in your lane, and (2) limited, low-speed autosteer which attempts to help you keep the car centered in its lane on roads with clearly marked lanes. There are some other features like forward collision warning and blind spot detection that are passive systems which have been enabled, but do not actively brake or steer the car.

All that has been released so far is (1) TACC (traffic aware cruise control), which is nothing but cruise control that controls longitudinal acceleration and deceleration based solely on vehicles in front of you in your lane, and (2) limited, low-speed autosteer which attempts to help you keep the car centered in its lane on roads with clearly marked lanes. There are some other features like forward collision warning and blind spot detection that are passive systems which have been enabled, but do not actively brake or steer the car.

Ah, ok. I didn't notice this available before so I just assumed it was limited autopilot. It does auto steer and adjust speed accordingly.

This update seems vastly improved with corner turns even within marked sharp (ish) corners. Very hard to test with the 35 mph restriction but this seems really close to AP1 already.

Does ap1 regularly cross double yellow lines?? I think it's not horrible but it's also not safe. AP1 seemed far safer to me but also not intended for these roads as @disagree stated. I'm cautiously optimistic they will continue to roll out features but I also hope and expect that they function safely.

I tested a lot more this evening and only had issues in sharp corners or blatantly difficult to make out roads. By issue I mean having to manually take over control. I would not allow the autosteer to cross the double yellow on a tight turn into oncoming traffic. I've been following the guidelines Tesla gave us and disabling the system/overriding it when needed. So no, I have not experienced it crossing the double yellow as I would not let my car do that.

I would still hold on to what I said about it being close to AP1 for non sharp cornering. AP1 isn't perfect either in those conditions on local roads. I think we'll see this system work a lot better on the freeway where lanes are well-marked, turns are far more gradual, etc.

That said, another note I have is that it does lean to the left a bit on right turns.

Reactions: OBX John
I have the recent update to 17.7.2 on AP2. Much improved! City street driving is significantly better and the car even made some good decisions on certain lanes that were not great on AP1 for the same stretch of road (a tricky intersection in Chicago). The highway driving is better too - less searching in the lane and also more controlled when someone cuts in front of me within the lane. I tried the parallel parking and it also performed as well as AP1. THE DREAM IS ALIVE! We are getting there for AP2 and I am hopefully optimistic (maybe this is the spring-like weather?!).

I've become confused.

is this new update only for AP2 cars with FSD?

I haven't gotten this update (my WiFi doesn't get out to my garage well) but I only bought EAP and not FSD.

I bought another router just to act as a wireless bridge/repeater for just my Tesla. Works great and my updates come on the first wave now. I'd recommend doing that -- its a bit of a pain but if you plan on having the car for a while, it will pay dividends in terms of getting software updates without hassle. We have a lot of updates to come this year (I have even more with FSD).