Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don’t change your settings in 4 years, yet behaviour changes dramatically, either something else changed the settings, or something changed in the software

Or the setting choice you made, 4 years ago, is now triggering the poorer behaviour - i.e. some incompatibility between the settings and the current version

Still comes back to some people seem not to have the problem / not to the same extreme, so there must be some difference between Group-A and Group-B

Or the setting choice you made, 4 years ago, is now triggering the poorer behaviour - i.e. some incompatibility between the settings and the current version

Sounds like you are saying something has got worse due to change in autopilot.

But hey, let’s not say that it’s a Tesla software change but blame it on the driver eh?

I rarely have phantom braking and it’s normally quite predictable so have learned to avoid/cover some of those scenarios, but I don’t go blaming others for their circumstances when they have it because that’s what many seem to do instead of admitting that in some circumstances, Autopilot performance (which includes always active safety features) can be pretty poor and for some have seen a change in behaviour often for the worse.

Anyone who road the rollercoaster FCW changes on the infamous 2021.4.15.x (?) branch will understand this.

Last edited:
I still don’t think it’s unreasonable. By blocking the camera the computer can’t assess whether you’re paying attention to the road or not, so it assumes the worst and gives you earlier warnings.

No different really to paying more for insurance because you have a history of claims.
It was not the case for oast year and issue started to be with few updates only

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
You can turn off overtaking prompts. Not the prompts to move back into the slower lane. I don’t what to do that when I can see the next car 200m ahead that I’ll be over taking again in 12 seconds time.

I paid particular attention to this today. Whilst I got visual on screen prompts, there was nothing audible. If I hadn’t glanced at the screen, I wouldn’t have known it was suggesting me to move back across.

Agree though. Had I moved back across as suggested, I would moved back pretty much immediately as it was suggesting that I moved back behind a slower moving vehicle. Perhaps that is the real issue? It suggests you moving back behind a vehicle doing 60 when you are travelling at 70.

Yea there is no audio (my bad) but there is a distraction especially if the camera comes on to show you the lane. I find myself constantly farting around with the screen turning prompts off. It’s an irritating distraction.

The car never used to suggest a lane change when the on-screen lane division was red. Now it does.

"UK roads are different to USA"

Agree. Having driven in West Coast USA the road layouts and conventions have many fundamental differences. I believe these are the root of some of the anomalies we see in the UK.

they do have something like this for the side cameras when condensation is covering them but don't know if it applies to the forward facing screen camera.

I have by chance experienced and documented a lengthy period over a day of driving where condensation appearing and disappearing repeatedly caused completely perplexing, random and dangerous behaviour. The fact that condensation on b-pillars and to a lesser extent the a cam forward facing camera windows is a fairly common issue for some owners calls into question how any critical systems can depend heavily / entirely on camera function.

when the car transitioned to vision only.

Tesla agents seem to regard the move to vision only to be linked primarily to complaints about ultra sonic sensors etc. They pretty much ignore / deny the whole wipers / lights / radar topics.

false alerts are common now where as they use to be rare.

I think there are two different systems triggering alerts. The grey / red warning is the more recent for me, and the one that has become progressively more common. Even though the message says that the car is taking corrective action, I have yet to actually detect any intervention.

I’m convinced there is nothing “wrong” with my car.

I too doubt there is a specific and unique fault with your car. Imo the cars have certain sensitivities and probably design flaws that make them prone to certain effects (like camera window condensation) which do occur differently between cars, use patterns and environments.

it moved to vision only the automatics deteriorated significantly.

My MS is still on 20.8, believed to be latest radar version. Tesla have indicated they won't honour wty on my car while it's on this version, despite me having been trying to get condensation issues sorted since the car was new.

Even on this old version, my feeling is that certain traits such as the onset of invalid emergency corrections were already evident.

Other incorrect behaviours for UK road layouts is the 'change lane to continue on your route' which imo is a purposeless translation of the US 'Through Traffic Merge Left' convention.

I’m not sure what’s going on, but since installing 2023.32 auto pilot ohantom breaking is almost unbearable. On a motorway in clear weather as I’m overtaking it’s either hesitant or slams on the brakes on about 10% of the cases. It has never been this bad ever.
I had my first motorway drive today since upgrading to 2023.32. The AP is now incredibly sensitive to cars in the lane to the left moving closer to their line markings. I wouldn't say the car is phantom braking but it lifts off & won't pass a car in a lane to the left sometimes if they move even slightly towards it. Happened 10+ times during two 90 minute drives today on the M25.

Prior to this update I'd always been quite impressed at how my car had been handling proximity to cars in other lanes, even in narrowed lanes in roadworks. Now it's just a lottery on whether I can pass a car in a regular lane without needing to intervene. Very frustrating, to say the least...

On my journey from Manchester to Birmingham this morning in the middle of the night in good weather, I counted no less than seven phantom breaking/severe hesitations when passing other vehicles or on clear stretches of the motorway.

I can’t believe this is now the norm. I think I am going to schedule a service call because this cannot be right.

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
On the return journey from Birmingham to Manchester in the daylight in good weather, the car did five phantom brakes in the fast lane at 70 miles an hour for absolutely no reason whatsoever when passing another vehicle. This is really beyond a joke and taking the piss. I’ve made contact with Tesla for a service visit.

If I was being tailgated, this would cause a serious crash. It really is a pile up waiting to happen and that’s not being dramatic.

On the return journey from Birmingham to Manchester in the daylight in good weather, the car did five phantom brakes in the fast lane at 70 miles an hour for absolutely no reason whatsoever when passing another vehicle. This is really beyond a joke and taking the piss. I’ve made contact with Tesla for a service visit.

If I was being tailgated, this would cause a serious crash. It really is a pile up waiting to happen and that’s not being dramatic.

Do you find it is when the vehicle you are passing is casting a shadow into your lane?