Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. I’ve made a service appointment. This started to happen about 3 software updates ago.
Sounds like an issue with either your particular car or the combination of settings & I hope they can resolve this quickly.

I've only had .32.6 for a few days (not driven a motorway or dual carriageway yet) but used the previous two updates extensively over hundreds of motorway miles in different conditions without any instances like this.

Sounds like an issue with either your particular car or the combination of settings & I hope they can resolve this quickly.

There are several of us with this issue in this thread and the 2023.32 one. It could be a certain combination of factors like specific car hardware or config, yes.

After a few more motorway drives, it seems this hesitancy happens when a car on the left moves closer but not if it's close to the line to begin with. Even passing lorries driving almost on their lane marker is completely fine, so long as they are keeping a steady distance from it. My car will still happily drive much closer to a car/lorry/coach in the next lane than I would, if they are driving straight. But if a car moves slightly closer, even if they are away to the left of their own lane, AP slows or backs off & will not pass unless overridden. It seems to be overreacting to slight distance changes to the side.

This started happening for me with the same update that made the cameras clearer. Could be a coincidence, but entirely possible that an increase in the image resolution could cause some different behaviour.

My S with 2023.32.6 on AP collided on left side with curb stones unexpectedly yesterday, to a sudden double lateral judder and manual takeover. Right where a dropped kerb was between the standard others from saved Dashcam clip. Thankfully only tyre scuff and alloy rim edges remain smooth. The opposite traffic was close, but not concerning so.

I’ve also experienced notable lateral hesitancy even on today’s city driving where there was no evident need or concern from my own oversight.

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
There’s a few places where previously it would brake quite hard when passing an exit on the A road near us, still does that.

Today was a new one as it always wanted to violently change direction and steer me down the exit. Clearly thought that was still the A road and not the well marked bit I’d been travelling on straight for until that point.

Just another day in Tesla paradise 😉

This morning’s drive in the middle of the night again from Manchester to Birmingham in Clearwater, the first car, I overtook the Tesla swerved back into the fast lane as it was changing lanes. I’ve also noticed the Tesla is now hesitant at even crossing the lined carriages of the motorway on many occasions, when there are no other vehicles around. The car now seems scared of it and shadow literally.

I drive for 20 minutes on UK rural roads to get to the motorway iand every time I do it at night time the left camera door pillar says it’s blocked or blinded. It says it blocked or blinded because I’m driving past a row of trees! How this car is ever going to obtain autonomous driving in the United Kingdom is totally beyond me. Sad thing is a year ago aitopilot was leaps ahead of where it is on my car now.

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
I drive for 20 minutes on UK rural roads to get to the motorway iand every time I do it at night time the left camera door pillar says it’s blocked or blinded.

That’s been around since day 0 for us, 4 years so nothing new.

I had always put it down to ultrasonic sensors picking up something (ie trees, shrubbery etc) that the cameras could not see. Drivers side didn’t seem to suffer, and USS was not showing anything on screen being detected.

For newer users benefit, a similar message will also show more regularly this time of year due to condensation on the cameras. But not the same circumstances as above.

After coming off the motorways, I have some quite rural A roads (a15 and a17) before a single track road and then arrive at work. Multiple cameras are “blinded” (or just can’t see) every week. This even happens on some stretches of motorway and dual carriageway. It really affects the auto lane change but I tend to manually drive on the other roads. No idea how this is going to get better - without a psychotic amount of investment in additional lighting.

(The above is in reference to night driving only which I do weekly)

Will I ever get a refund for purchasing it twice then 🤔
giphy.gif

Not entirely related to AP alone, but I am getting really concerned about a side effect of never ending software 'updates'.

Having decided to stick on 20.8, I still get a staggering array of issues that I haven't noticed previously. I drove a couple of hundred miles today and had multiple random nonexistent traffic lights that brought the car to a complete stop.

IMG_20231001_171438.jpg

Today, I had 3 stops for traffic lights that were not there. This is on a route that I drove twice in the same day in opposite directions. Only stopped on the return journey. A couple were on the A6 on a stretch I have driven many times without the issue.

On the A38 around Burton / Derby, I had random auto lane changes permitted or just cancelled.

I always get speed changes on on / off ramps and certain sections of motorway, but today there seemed some new ones thrown in.

When I pressed the key fob to open the door, the alarm went off and wouldn't stop until I started driving.

My app has started reporting that I need to enable remote access otherwise it won't show me anything.... not even service appointments. For a while after the car is powered up, the app works fine.

It feels like a never ending churn of issues - even when you don't update the software.

Is there an accurate list (for the UK) of how current software is supposed to behave in certain situations? For example:

Specific motorway interchanges or sharp bend, speed reduced to 50mph.

When passing certain junctions with heavy merging traffic volumes, reduce speed.

Catagories of auto Lane change not allowed? (some situations my car just cancels indicator).

Situations when speed of traffic in lane to your right effects your speed.

For example, the car has always erroneously advised to move right to follow your route. This happens for prolonged periods when in road works. I get the impression that the car behaves differently wrt passing slower cars to your right (under taking) compared to when there are no road works.

Without a detailed spec of whet the car is actually supposed to do in a myriad of fractionally different scenarios, it is near impossible to know if it's behaving 'correctly'.

Last edited:
Today, I had 3 stops for traffic lights that were not there. This is on a route that I drove twice in the same day in opposite directions. Only stopped on the return journey. A couple were on the A6 on a stretch I have driven many times without the issue.

I’ve turned that feature off as ours would prompt to override a stop for lights in tunnels or occasional lighting on motorways. But there have been an obvious , albeit mistaken reason for those - Hindhead Tunnel lighting on A3 almost guaranteed to detect flying traffic lights that would have triggered.

But your photo there is none of that. Absolutely nothing obvious lighting wise although cannot see any signage that might confuse it. I’m guessing it’s in the mapping - does it show a stop line if you aren’t using TACC? Worse still is if it’s new behaviour.

I’ve started to get pedestrian collision avoidance, even when the pedestrian is on the other side of the road and safely on the pavement.
Mine has always done that on roads with bends where a pedestrian is somewhere vaguely in front of the car, but yes, it has become more sensitive recently. Similarly for parked cars on the side of the road on a bend, where the Tesla seems to think they are stopped in the road. I've had a few of those on straight roads recently, too.

I think some of these issues could well be due to the increased resolution of the cameras, where it's seeing more detail than it used to.

Reactions: MrBadger