Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome iOS App called Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi @rawmean - Can you tell me what the "keyless driving" feature is? I already have my phone set up and it works flawlessly. What does your feature do, that's different than what Tesla does once your phone is set up as the "key"?

Also, though I have about five days worth of data (bought the app five days ago), I don't get the phantom drain summary bar on the "home" page. Is that something that will appear after more data is collected? I think I recall you telling another that the dotted line on the phantom drain histogram doesn't show up until it's got ten data points. Same for this summary bar on the home page?

Thanks!
"keyless driving" mean that you can turn on the car without the fob (it requires TouchID or FaceID). The same feature exists in Tesla app.
I don't recommend it because if you go somewhere and Tesla servers go down or if you park the car somewhere without internet access, then you wouldn't be able to start the car.

• Informative
Reactions: FSKT
@rawmean The latest ride the lightning podcast had a caller requesting the Tesla app notify you if you have a door left open. I called the 800 number and told the host ryan about your app and how it does this already as well as some of the other features your app has. If he likes my call he will play it on the next podcast and be heard by lots of people. Fingers crossed he hears my call and shares it.
@SpudLime You are so cool.
I'll try to reach out to him as well. Thank so much! I owe you one.

Reactions: SpudLime
Lot's of questions...
It logs all charging events (unless you charge every 10 minutes or so). I've designed it to make sure it doesn't impact phantom drain and iPhone battery while catching all the events.

What about efficiency data? So do you solely use the data collected at charging events...wh/mile, miles driven, kw used/charged to then calculate efficiency numbers since the last charge?

92322161-877D-49DC-9CC3-63C868FD959C.jpeg

Does it actually work this way for you? Or is this a Photoshop suggestion? Never seen the sleeping cat..

I’m on a beta version of the app maybe that’s why idk...

My app (Stats for Tesla) does renew the token automatically. In order to renew the token, password is necessary.

This is not true. A standard feature of OAuth is to use a refresh_token to generate a new access_token. This is also the case with the Tesla OAuth api, you can use the refresh_token grant type to get a new access token and new refresh token and keep doing this forever without needing the password.

curl --include --data "grant_type=refresh_token&client_id=81527cff06843c8634fdc09e8ac0abefb46ac849f38fe1e431c2ef2106796384&client_secret=c7257eb71a564034f9419ee651c7d0e5f7aa6bfbd18bafb5c5c033b093bb2fa3&refresh_token=XXXXXXXXXX" --request POST 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token'

This api call will give you a new access token and new refresh token

Actually one suggestion I have for the app's UI is to ditch the harsh grey color inside the app as well as the notification. These tones are reminiscent of old phones with iOS4 where they relied on that grey. I think the UI would look a lot more modern if you lightened / translucent things up a bit.

In general, I have noticed that the app could be more compliant with Apple's iOS Human Interface Guidelines. For example, tab bars in iOS are at the bottom of the screen, not at the top. Sliders in iOS are a different style than the app's. There are a few more subtle differences between the Stats app and a textbook style iOS app.

rawmean's priorities are probably not in trying to make the app look and feel more iOS'ish. That's fine. I'm not complaining. He has done a great job in putting together this useful app.

Rawmean, is there any negative aspect to having Stats installed and accessed on multiple iOS devices for the same vehicle? (iPhone and iPad for me.) I see that even old data appears to be sync’d up but wanted to be sure that having two copies of the app doesn’t impact vampire drain. (By the way, great app and thanks for being so forthcoming and proactive!)

In general, I have noticed that the app could be more compliant with Apple's iOS Human Interface Guidelines. For example, tab bars in iOS are at the bottom of the screen, not at the top. Sliders in iOS are a different style than the app's. There are a few more subtle differences between the Stats app and a textbook style iOS app.

rawmean's priorities are probably not in trying to make the app look and feel more iOS'ish. That's fine. I'm not complaining. He has done a great job in putting together this useful app.
The standard tab bars in iOS would have been much easier to use, but those don't allow the user to swipe to switch smoothly between tabs.
Regarding color scheme: It's not possible to satisfy all tastes and I'm sure the minute I change the color scheme, I'll get a whole bunch of 1-star reviews in the App Store from some people who didn't like the change (remember the fiasco when Tesla changed the color scheme of the map in the car?)

Rawmean, is there any negative aspect to having Stats installed and accessed on multiple iOS devices for the same vehicle? (iPhone and iPad for me.) I see that even old data appears to be sync’d up but wanted to be sure that having two copies of the app doesn’t impact vampire drain. (By the way, great app and thanks for being so forthcoming and proactive!)
I have installed the app on three devices (my iPhone and iPad and my wife's iPhone). My average drain rate is ~0.2mph (I'm in Southern California where weather is mostly moderate). The impact on phantom drain is virtually zero and is in the noise.

This is not true. A standard feature of OAuth is to use a refresh_token to generate a new access_token. This is also the case with the Tesla OAuth api, you can use the refresh_token grant type to get a new access token and new refresh token and keep doing this forever without needing the password.

curl --include --data "grant_type=refresh_token&client_id=81527cff06843c8634fdc09e8ac0abefb46ac849f38fe1e431c2ef2106796384&client_secret=c7257eb71a564034f9419ee651c7d0e5f7aa6bfbd18bafb5c5c033b093bb2fa3&refresh_token=XXXXXXXXXX" --request POST 'https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/oauth/token'

This api call will give you a new access token and new refresh token
I don't want to turn this into a technical discussion about oAuth, but:
While refresh tokens have a longer lifetime, they do expire too (by design and for obvious reasons). Once they expire, then credentials are needed to restart oAuth.

For people who know enough programming to write their own code, I suggest writing their own app. It's definitely fun and certainly addresses any potential trust issue. That's what I did, anyway.

Reactions: mswlogo
My app (Stats for Tesla) does renew the token automatically. In order to renew the token, password is necessary.

I don't want to turn this into a technical discussion about oAuth, but:
While refresh tokens have a longer lifetime, they do expire too (by design and for obvious reasons). Once they expire, then credentials are needed to restart oAuth.

For people who know enough programming to write their own code, I suggest writing their own app. It's definitely fun and certainly addresses any potential trust issue. That's what I did, anyway.

Agree that the refresh tokens expire, which is why you need to use your valid refresh token to get a new refresh token before it expires. In any case, the app is nice and I'm not hung up on the password grant. Just letting you know *how* you could choose to support refresh tokens if you wanted to...