Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big new autopilot rewrite update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After watching nearly all of the FSDBeta videos, I'd say we are still quite far off, so no new promises seem likely. There are still way too many disengagements to release FSD to the Gen Pop. Maybe they'll do something like allow turns on city streets with confirmation, but I'm not hopeful.

I bought FSD before the public beta came out and the public release at the time was to be at the end of 2020. I wish I would have waited. I'd never buy it based on what I've since seen. Reminds me of what someone said about the dogs that can bark the song "Jingle Bells". "It's simply awful, but the fact that they can do even that is amazing!"

Elon’s consistency in committing to a timeline and failing to deliver is likely going to lead to an investigation. If there is even a hint that he’s knowingly misrepresenting Tesla’s ability to deliver, then he should be worried since that’s fraud
Slightly OT but I thought about this (fraud) this morning on my morning commute in the rain. Did an experiment and tried to leave the wipers on auto just to see if it's my own personal problem with hating water on the windshield, or if the auto setting for the wipers truly is insufficient. It's not me - the wipers just don't cut it in highway driving - they don't respond to the combo of dark and fog and mist and changing rain levels I experienced this morning. I won't get into how poorly EAP acted (I've made a recent thread on that).

Anyway I think the auto wipers are a serious safety hazard. The reason I think it could amount to something serious like an investigation of fraud is because the wipers (and FSD and AP) are software features, not hardware, and Tesla has marketed itself and its value based on its ability to solve problems using software ("OTA will fix it..."). Based on the years of wiper issues, I just don't see software solving that anymore. Seems like it should have been one of the most important software issues to solve ASAP and yet mine seem worse than ever. I think Tesla needs to seriously consider incorporating functionality to the left stalk to include the ability to change the wiper speed without looking at the screen, but because of their insistence on software and now an obsession with FSD, I don't think they want to "admit defeat" by adding more hardware.

Not trying to be a doomsday type of person but my issues with EAP and the wipers just seem to be getting worse. It's frustrating.

After watching nearly all of the FSDBeta videos, I'd say we are still quite far off, so no new promises seem likely. There are still way too many disengagements to release FSD to the Gen Pop. Maybe they'll do something like allow turns on city streets with confirmation, but I'm not hopeful.
Do you have a sense of what has improved from the early betas to now? Maybe that will give an idea of what Tesla is focusing on to prepare it for general release as I don't think people expect the initial release to work perfectly for every situation. E.g., is it consistently detecting and giving space to pedestrians and cyclists so Tesla can definitely say FSD keeps vulnerable road users safe.

And similarly for situations that FSD beta hasn't improved much on, e.g., yields and unprotected left turns as maybe Tesla intends the initial release to require confirmation like stopping at green lights.

Last edited:
Do you have a sense of what has improved from the early betas to now? Maybe that will give an idea of what Tesla is focusing on to prepare it for general release as I don't think people expect the initial release to work perfectly for every situation. E.g., is it consistently detecting and giving space to pedestrians and cyclists so Tesla can definitely say FSD keeps vulnerable road users safe.

And similarly for situations that FSD beta hasn't improved much on, e.g., yields and unprotected left turns as maybe Tesla intends the initial release to require confirmation like stopping at green lights.
Those are good questions, but I suspect no-one outside Tesla knows the answer. It’s also important to be careful about how much to read into the various FSD videos. First, the testers are (quite rightly) testing the car in tricky situations, where you would expect more disengagement’s etc. Second, posts on YouTube are unlikely to show “yet another boring no problem FSD trip to the grocery store”. So it’s tricky to judge how FSD would behave in day-to-day use, until Tesla widen the beta.

One thing that is noticeable is how many of the errors appear to be traffic rule related, rather than vision related, which frankly I feel is an amazing accomplishment. The car seems to be very good at identifying cars, pedestrians etc (which it would have to be). Most of the errors seem to be related to it choosing a bad lane and other driving decisions, rather than randomly driving off a cliff or into a street light.