Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue exterior - any comments from those who have seen or purchased?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a few days before I push the confirm button, and I've chosen the Blue color. I've seen the sample in the showroom, but I'm wondering how it shows up on the whole car, Is it dark and just looks like black, or can you tell pretty easily it's a metallic blue?

Thanks for your thoughts,
David

If you're in bright sunshine, it's a beautiful blue. In many other types of light, it looks black -- I can only tell a blue car in a garage if it's next to a black car.

I can also say that blue is one of my two favorites -- multi-coat red being the other.

Last edited:
I was certain I wanted pearl white for my MS and went over to the local service center to see if they had one around so I could see it before placing the order. Turns out they did have one - but they also had a blue one as well (and red, and brown, and black... ). I thought the blue was very nice. I almost changed my mind (thinking I could save some money in the process) but in the end finally decided on the pearl white, but the blue was definitely my second choice. I only got to see it in the sunlight, so I don't know what it looks like in the dark as others have mentioned.

I have blue and it is like a royal blue in most daylight conditions. In shade or night it is close black/midnight blue. I was a little concerned when I saw one on a very cloudy day after I placed my order. I have absolutely no regrets and LOVE it.

I'm getting a blue without seeing one in person. Blue has always been my favorite color so it was a no brainer choice for that reason. The fact that it can look blue or black depending on lighting is pretty neat, it's like a bonus color! The only issue will be keeping it clean looking...I think it will be well worth it!

I originally ordered the Blue, then switched to the Silver after seeing it in person, due to concerns with it being "Almost Black" and "Hard to Keep Clean". I do sometimes regret it... though the Silver is easier to keep clean and I like how it looks without it screaming out for attention.

However my biggest regret was going to TESLIVE and seeing the few Green Models out there. I've never been a fan of green for cars, though on the S it is severely underrated... if you have an opportunity to see it in person, before making a choice; you should... (online pictures do not represent it well).

I finalized my White MS on 6/21. I was utterly sure of my choice. I've seen an occasional blue on the road, but none really up close. Just 5 days ago, I saw a Blue in the Tesla showroom. I was blown away. It looked so much more aggressive, that I immediately called my DS and asked if it was possible to change. Several hours later, my dashboard showed my Blue being sourced for parts.

The one in the showroom had the grey 21"s. They looked incredible!!! However, I am sticking with 19" for practicality. If business is good this year, I will upgrade to 19" aftermarket rims in a darker tone.

One last comment: Get a good detailing with some type of paint protection. I plan to make this my first task after delivery. The Blue does indeed easily show swirl marks, fingerprints, etc. Being inherently lazy about washing compared to when I was a teenager, I was concerned about this. My passion is really high for this car, so babying its appearance will not be a problem for me. If you park on the street a lot, your car, along with black, will look dirty more often then it will look clean.

Here are some photos of a blue and a white Model S in the underground garage in Yorkdale, Toronto. Ignore the red Beemer. I don't know why it was there.

Richard

IMG_4575.jpg
IMG_4577.jpg
IMG_4579.jpg

I have the blue, ordered it without even seeing a sample. First thing I did was wash and put a couple of coats of Zaino polish on it. It stays parked outside, and it's rainy season. Polish makes all the difference in the world. I haven't washed her in a couple of weeks (raining pretty much all weekend, and water restrictions make it illegal for me to wash a car any day other than Monday, sigh), but it's still nice and shiny. Yes, dirt up close but you'd see that up close to every color. It's incredibly beautiful in any light, I think, and I don't regret my choice. I wanted to get out of my silver rut... Nearly every car I've owned was silver!

Love my blue. Amazing in the brilliant sun... looks "mean" in the low light, especially with the tinted windows.

Wife suggested gray, as it's easier to maintain... which is probably true... but I'd rather expend a little more effort and have a color that truly catches my eye...

I love my blue MS. However, if I were to do it again, I'd go with the black. Black everything. Dark wheels. Tint. There is no other color that shows as deep a gloss and reflection as does black. Because of this, it is the hardest to maintain. I'd be up for the challenge. But, like others say, the blue gives you a beautiful car that lives two lives: radiant and metallic in the bright day and deep and mysterious in the shadows.