Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUY FSD TODAY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could they be rolling in what used to be FSD features with the Autopilot option in future cars so there is no longer a differentiation so when you buy Autopilot you get everything?

They likely priced the initial full self driving feature at a higher price, as they knew that they would have to replace the hardware and that would incur a cost. With the new hardware about to come out, no hardware replacement is needed so they can just charge the $5K for Autopilot plus FSD features rolled into one option.

So much people taking out of their ass here. Uggh

Those who pre ordered FSD and didn’t lease their cars are ahead of the game - full stop.

Secondly FSD isn’t binary. It’s not go coast to coast with your eyes closed or nothing.

It grows incrementally over time. FSD is just incremental autopilot. That incremental growth is worth 3000. Coast to coast? 30,000 maybe 300,000 depending on your value of time.

Lastly, Tesla has been testing AP3 even before the Q2 conference call.

Every 3000-5000 retrofit is an obligation to Tesla. They already owe tens of thousands of installs.

Smart thing is to just pull it for now and sell it again later for 5000 or more.

Technically all Tesla has to do is offer one more feature over EAP and FSD is live. Something as simple as stopping for red might and stop signs.

Tesla does NOT want to retrofit your AP2/AP2.5 car for only 3-5K.

Last edited:
FSD is coming — and not just from Tesla. Regardless of whether it is 2 years, 5 years, or 12 years, so long as Tesla is still in business, they are legally and financially obligated to provide that functionally to FSD purchasers at some point. People who bought FSD essentially paid for unlimited hardware and software upgrades until full FSD is available.

Tesla is a public corporation and the removal of the FSD option is a business decision, pure and simple. Tesla’s beancounters determined that offering the option now will make the company less money than offering it in the future. Offering the pre-pay option now, especially at a lower amount, makes questionable financial sense when Tesla knows that at least one more hardware upgrade (and possibly more upgrades) will be required to accomplish FSD.

My prediction? Once the new FSD hardware is available and Tesla implements the first round of “FSD features” (e.g., level 3 on-ramp to off-ramp high driving with no driver intervention, park-seek mode where the car finds a space and parks automatically using cameras), they will increase the price to $5K at the time of purchase and $7-8K for owners of older cars. People who buy today are no longer guaranteed the $5K future upgrade price, and future FSD buyers will undoubtedly be paying for the installs for those who prepaid.

Last edited:
So much people taking out of their ass here. Uggh

Those who pre ordered FSD and didn’t lease their cars are ahead of the game - full stop.

Secondly FSD isn’t binary. It’s not go coast to coast with your eyes closed or nothing.

It grows incrementally over time. FSD is just incremental autopilot. That incremental growth is worth 3000. Coast to coast? 30,000 maybe 300,000 depending on your value of time.

Every 3000-5000 retrofit is an obligation to Tesla. They already owe tens of thousands of installs.

Smart thing is to just pull it for now and sell it again later for 5000 or more.

Technically all Tesla has to do is offer one more feature over EAP and FSD is live. Something as simple as stopping for red might and stop signs.

Tesla does NOT want to retrofit your AP2/AP2.5 car for only 3-5K.

Ass talking here as well. Lots of it. :D:D

I see a two tiered FSD in the future. One that makes improvements along the way to FSD yet more features than EAP. Maybe that costs more than one down the road that gives you no features now until FSD is ready.

Either way if it is years off for complete FSD. Which I think it is. Mainly to legal and regulatory issues. Tesla couldn't or maybe shouldn't be selling something it can deliver on for the foreseeable future. Maybe someone said. You can't keep doing this. Even though the numbers of purchases might be small.

I think the ramp of the 3 created so many unknown costs if they all opted in that they could have a couple hundred thousand 3's out there and a big burden of retrofit even if possible.

Reactions: aronth5 and MXWing
FSD is coming — and not just from Tesla. Regardless of whether it is 2 years, 5 years, or 12 years, so long as Tesla is still in business, they are legally and financially obligated to provide that functionally to FSD purchasers at some point. People who bought FSD essentially paid for unlimited hardware and software upgrades until full FSD is available.

Tesla is a public corporation and the removal of the FSD option is a business decision, pure and simple. Tesla’s beancounters determined that offering the option now will make the company less money than offering it in the future. Offering the pre-pay option now, especially at a lower amount, makes questionable financial sense when Tesla knows that at least one more hardware upgrade (and possibly more upgrades) will be required to accomplish FSD.

My prediction? Once the new FSD hardware is available and Tesla implements the first round of “FSD features” (e.g., level 3 on-ramp to off-ramp high driving with no driver intervention, park-seek mode where the car finds a space and parks automatically using cameras), they will increase the price to $5K at the time of purchase and $7-8K for owners of older cars. People who buy today are no longer guaranteed the $5K future upgrade price, and future FSD buyers will undoubtedly be paying for the installs for those who prepaid.

Of all the posts on this subject, I believe this one is the best and most likely to be proven correct.

Sort of, but not really... Here's a quote:

They support the current networks running today in the car at full frame rates with a lot of idle cycles to spare. So, I think we're all really excited about what Andrej and his team will be able to do with this hardware in the future.

I think like one little anecdotal story was I gave a talk to his team on Hardware 3 last month explaining how it worked and what it was capable of, and then afterwards, one of the researchers came up to me. He was really excited, and he said, this is so exciting.

So the hardware team has been testing it on current autopilot, but it hadn't even been played with but the autopilot team yet. They were just learning about it a month before the call.

Full self-driving has a meaning, defined in the description of level 5 autonomy. Full self-driving means the car drives itself. Period. When the Model 3 came out, Tesla, or at least Elon, were talking about things like sending your car without a driver to pick someone up and take them somewhere. Your kids to/from wherever, or using your car as a driverless ride-share. I did not believe then and do not believe now that this would be available in less than a decade or that it would be available with the sensors currently in the car. So I did not pay for it.

Now it seems that when Tesla says "FSD" it does not mean a full-self-driving car. It means a package of driver-assist options that will gradually be implemented at some unspecified time in the future, at some unspecified rate, with the goal of achieving full self-driving at some unspecified future time. This as distinct from EAP, which is a lesser package of driver-assist features that is presently available and which Tesla is presently improving on from one firmware release to the next, and which will not reach full self-driving capability.

I bought EAP and I am delighted with it. I might pay for Level 3, depending on how widely or narrowly geofenced it is. I would be delighted with level 4.

IMO, Tesla made a big mistake promising FSD, and then trying to backtrack from full self-driving to "FSD" as a package of options with a misleading implication that it would become mature before most owners have traded in the car for something newer in five to eight years. That's the crux for me: FSD will not be mature before most 2018 Model 3 owners have traded their cars for something newer as their cars approach ten years old.

The Model 3 is, for me, the best car on the road. It's unfortunate that Tesla over-promised on what was already, without the FSD promise, a truly amazing car with an unparalleled set of industry-leading driver-assist features. Elon Musk's optimism borders on irrational. OTOH, that's probably what has enabled him to accomplish what he has, including building such remarkable cars and rockets.

It sounds to me like FSD and autopilot will be combined in the future. All cars will probably be offered with FSD eliminating EAP.

“Autopilot advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving. Model 3 comes standard with advanced hardware capable of providing Enhanced Autopilot features today, and full self-driving capabilities in the future.”