Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUY FSD TODAY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made sure to get FSD ($3k is a cheap chauffeur) at purchase just b/c by the time the loan (3%) is paid off it would have been rolled out, avoiding the 40% jump in price. No brainer.

Who wants a car that can't drive itself? (whatever level 3.5/4/5 that may end up being).

Unless you plan on paying it off for 10+ years, I don't see FSD coming before your pay it off. Just my opinion.

So for us ordered a car but didn’t purchase FSD, rather had the buy later at $5k option, do you Tesla will honor the 5K for the complete package in the future when FSD becomes a reality?

Or they’ll say, yeah 5K for the software, plus extra now for the new CPU hardware, etc?

I know, speculation but wondering if anything concrete has been written about it.

It sounds to me like FSD and autopilot will be combined in the future. All cars will probably be offered with FSD eliminating EAP.

“Autopilot advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving. Model 3 comes standard with advanced hardware capable of providing Enhanced Autopilot features today, and full self-driving capabilities in the future.”

The day will come when all cars are full self-driving. For the next decade, plus or minus a few years, autopilot systems like EAP will gradually improve. Tesla may or may not split its driver-assist packages into a lower level (EAP) and an upper level that costs more and is intended to become full self-driving eventually (FSD package). But the statement that Model 3 comes standard with the hardware needed for FSD turned out to be mistaken. It will be interesting to see if the new "FSD-capable" hardware gets put in all new Teslas after its introduction, or if there will be different trim lines with and without the faster computer. It will also be interesting to see if EAP performs better with the faster computer.

So for us ordered a car but didn’t purchase FSD, rather had the buy later at $5k option, do you Tesla will honor the 5K for the complete package in the future when FSD becomes a reality?

Or they’ll say, yeah 5K for the software, plus extra now for the new CPU hardware, etc?

I know, speculation but wondering if anything concrete has been written about it.

My understanding (though I'm not at all certain) was that the $5,000 price was the current price to upgrade after the sale. IOW, they have the right to change that price at any time. It's $3K at the time of sale, and it's $5K after the sale at the present time. I don't think they guaranteed that the after-sale price to upgrade to FSD would remain $5K. And in fact, I believe that true full self-driving will require not only a faster computer, but more sensors as well, and Tesla will take a big loss upgrading hardware on any Model 3 cars that paid for FSD and remain on the road when it finally becomes a reality.

I don't believe I'll still own my Model 3 when that time comes. I expect I'll be on my 3rd or 4th Tesla when that time comes, if I'm still alive. (The Model 3 is my second.) At my age, I could kick the bucket at any time.

Elon’s twitter says you can buy prepaid fsd for one week as of yesterday.

Everything else is speculation.

My opinion:

Buy FSD TODAY!!!

IMO, Tesla removed the option to get your $3k now, because they are VERY close to getting it out, as the new chip and other news incl. the drive by nav that almost ready, suggest!

Very likely that you Will want it sometime next year, and the price incl. upgrading the chip, will be very likely much more than $5k.
This is horrible advice. If you actually believe that Tesla is about to solve FSD then you should take the money and buy Tesla options. You'll make enough money for a brand new Model 3.

They don't need to solve Level 5 FSD for me to pay $3,000 FFS.

No nag Level 3 is good enough for now.

There was a video a few years ago (may have been from Delphi) that showed a driver getting on a freeway, pressing a button and the driver would no longer be required to monitor the drive. As the car approaches the final freeway exit, it would notify the driver it was time to take over control.

Naturally, would love to have Level 5, however, if Tesla can do the above scenario, $3k would be a steal. While Level 5 is probably some time off, Level 3 can be achieved much sooner. IMO, Level 3 could be considered "Full Self Driving." It just happens to be FSD on selected roads during selected times as opposed to FSD Level 5 which needs to be 100% of the time and 100% of the roads.

I agree. Though I paid for FSD I am already so happy with the car as it stands. I am on my 5th major road trip since getting the Model 3 in March. VAST VAST majority of my driving is done by the car. Friends who ride with me have not heard of this capability making it to cars and are AMAZED at what it does already. Even my wife is starting to talk positively about letting the car drive (give her time).

I often wonder what I would do if Tesla takes a dirt nap. It would be tough if I couldn't use the google maps to guide me, but my phone still will have directions, and the car will still drive itself as it does now. It would suck that there would be no more updates to the software, making it just like EVERY car I or most others have ever owned.

-Randy

Here's the thing .Around January Tesla will start putting the AP3 hardware in all their cars in production, right? Most agree FSD isn't ready YET. So, at some point in the future FSD will begin to deploy in a fashion that starts to entice people. Regardless if that is in 6 months, 2 years or more, Tesla will have been cranking high volume out on the AP3 hardware the entire time! That tells me that by the time I want to add FSD that the scales of economy are in my favor regarding the cost of that hardware upgrade. Who knows what Tesla will then charge.... But it won't be high because of the hardware.

This is horrible advice. If you actually believe that Tesla is about to solve FSD then you should take the money and buy Tesla options. You'll make enough money for a brand new Model 3.

This is right on the button! If Tesla solved full self-driving and started to sell cars that required no driver input, the stock would jump tenfold. $3,000 would become $30,000 overnight.

They don't need to solve Level 5 FSD for me to pay $3,000 FFS.

No nag Level 3 is good enough for now.

I might pay $5,000 for level 3, depending on how much of the time it's active, but I think that even level 3 within three years is optimistic.

I'll repeat what I've said before: The Model 3 is the best car on the road. Buy it for what it is, not for what the world's biggest optimist thinks it's going to be next year. Or in five years. Because in five years the Tesla Model ? is going to be even better and you might as well trade up to get features and hardware we haven't thought of yet.

Tesla is going to roll out FSD features. Just like they are doing EAP features.

Look in your car....EAP is still beta. Its not out yet.

Sooooo….. will we have FSD features before 10 Years from now? Absolutely.

Tesla is going to roll out FSD features. Just like they are doing EAP.

Look in your car....EAP is still beta. Its not out yet.

What are the FSD features? EAP + stop light/stop sign detection? That would be way too dangerous.
All the EAP features they've rolled out were advertised as being part of EAP since they first first started selling the option.

What are the FSD features? EAP + stop light/stop sign detection? That would be way too dangerous.
All the EAP features they've rolled out were advertised as being part of EAP since they first first started selling the option.

That's what I said. That's all I said.

Maybe "Drive on Nav" will be FSD.

Here's the thing .Around January Tesla will start putting the AP3 hardware in all their cars in production, right? Most agree FSD isn't ready YET. So, at some point in the future FSD will begin to deploy in a fashion that starts to entice people. Regardless if that is in 6 months, 2 years or more, Tesla will have been cranking high volume out on the AP3 hardware the entire time! That tells me that by the time I want to add FSD that the scales of economy are in my favor regarding the cost of that hardware upgrade. Who knows what Tesla will then charge.... But it won't be high because of the hardware.
When was the last time Tesla charge at cost? It will be more when FSD feature is finally available.

Reactions: Ulmo