Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUY FSD TODAY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you just described is the reason being suggested that they're removing the FSD stuff from the offering right now.

So that they're not bound to that promise on 2.5 cars they build/sell after it's removed.

And thus can charge more for the HW upgrade on 2.5 cars they sell after said promise is removed.

I've yet to hear any actual reason for pulling the feature given by anybody who thinks otherwise... do you have one?

I'm pointing out that even after pulling FSD, they are still promising that all their vehicles have the hardware for FSD pre-installed.

Tesla can't charge for the HW upgrade separately because of that, the car is already supposed to have all FSD hardware installed. Not sure why you cut that portion of my post, but it says it right on the website.

I believe Tesla pulled FSD because it is not ready and won't be for a very long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK
I'm pointing out that even after pulling FSD, they are still promising that all their vehicles have the hardware for FSD pre-installed.

It's not uncommon for Tesla to announce a change and then take weeks to actually update all the parts on their website to reflect that change.

What the site says right now is directly contradicted by their own public statements on the HW coming in the car, so obviously it's wrong and they need to fix it but haven't done so yet.

I
I believe Tesla pulled FSD because it is not ready and won't be for a very long time.

Then why would they say you can still get it "off menu" for another week or more? And why now, given it hasn't been ready for a couple years now and they've kept selling it?

The only recent actual change is the HW3 announcement- which presents a specific, financial, benefit to pulling it now that I've already described.

Clearly, people who have already paid for the FSD package, get any necessary hardware for no additional cost. Tesla offered the package on a pre-paid basis at a discount because they wanted the cash flow. Tesla gets the money sooner, which they needed, and the buyer gets the options package at a lower price, which benefits them if the package ever materializes. The realization that new hardware is needed means that those who pre-paid get an even better deal on the options package, and Tesla spends more upgrading the cars than they originally anticipated. I don't believe they are obligated to honor the $5,000 post-purchase price for the package, so for future cars they can set a higher price for it if they think people will pay it. They could even set the price so high that nobody who has not already paid will want to upgrade a 2018 car.

But FSD is still a pig in a poke. To date, people who have paid for FSD have exactly the same driver assist features as those who paid for the cheaper EAP. And while we know that full self-driving (driver optional) is the ultimate goal, which Elon promised to buyers of "FSD," there is no date on which even super-optimistic Elon will speculate that it will be available. And although we now know that Tesla intends to offer some driver assist features to "FSD" buyers that EAP drivers won't get, Tesla has not said what those features will be or when they will come to the cars.

This is the best car on the road. It's unfortunate that Tesla chose to make promises they might not be able to fulfill during the lifetime of this model year.

Reactions: pilotSteve
i am amazed by the number of people here who think they can just throw out the post-purchase price as if it doesn't exist.

My understanding (and I'm open to being corrected) is that the $5,000 price was the current price for after-purchase upgrade, but that it was not promised as a fixed price. It's not a question of "throwing out" a price. It's the price when it was quoted, and just like a jar of peanut butter, the price will go up when the manufacturer decides to raise it.

I'm too lazy to look for my contract, because I don't expect to want to upgrade before I trade in the car. But this question would be settled if someone who took their car without the FSD package wants to post an image of the relevant portion of their purchase contract.

My understanding (and I'm open to being corrected) is that the $5,000 price was the current price for after-purchase upgrade, but that it was not promised as a fixed price. It's not a question of "throwing out" a price. It's the price when it was quoted, and just like a jar of peanut butter, the price will go up when the manufacturer decides to raise it.

I'm too lazy to look for my contract, because I don't expect to want to upgrade before I trade in the car. But this question would be settled if someone who took their car without the FSD package wants to post an image of the relevant portion of their purchase contract.

i've looked at mine...it's not in there. however, given that they have always honored the price that was in effect when people ordered and it's still available as an upgrade in my account (AND elon has already tweeted that the upgrade price is $5k), i don't think it's unreasonable to assume they'll honor it now as well. apparently that's an unpopular opinion around here, although i'm certainly not the only one who has it.

i've looked at mine...it's not in there. however, given that they have always honored the price that was in effect when people ordered and it's still available as an upgrade in my account (AND elon has already tweeted that the upgrade price is $5k), i don't think it's unreasonable to assume they'll honor it now as well. apparently that's an unpopular opinion around here, although i'm certainly not the only one who has it.

My expectation would be that they probably WILL offer to honor the post-purchase price if one asks- but that they're not at all required to- especially having given a week or more of warning that the option was going away for now so nobody can claim they didn't get the chance to avail themselves of the price with notice.

In earnings call, I believe that Elon said "buying FSD now off menu ultimately gives you a discount on future capability". As in, I think he was being pretty explicit that the price *will* go up once HW3 or FSD features roll out.

Yup- he also made clear it was removed strictly because new buyers were confused between EAP and FSD, and that it will continue to be available to all new buyers off-menu going forward.

So not really "pulling" the offering at all, just requiring an extra step to buy it- and making clear it'll be cheaper to do it sooner than later (and by not putting the item on the menu anymore nobody going forward can argue they were "promised" the lower price post purchase when they wait and the price goes up)

Sounds like for now it's still $5,000. That does not mean it will stay $5,000 forever.

For all the talk from folks about Tesla pulling FSD from their site as a hedge, on the earnings call they weren't backing down at all on delivering FSD in the first part of next year.

They won't be delivering full self-driving. At most they'll be delivering a feature or features to "FSD"-package cars that EAP cars don't get.

Interesting that they talked about "confusion" when Elon himself in the past talked about being able to send your car off without a driver. And then they chose to use "FSD" for the name of an options package that will not achieve full self-driving ability for several years at the very soonest.

FWIW, my Tesla Account web page is still giving me the option to upgrade to FSD for $5,000. I'm not doing it. I was just curious if it was still an option. Maybe the week's not up yet, or maybe it's only new orders that won't be able to order it. Wondering what would get me to upgrade. The one thing I can think of would be traffic light and stop-sign recognition. If it would reliably stop for red lights and stop signs I might upgrade. Otherwise true in-city drive on NAV. I.e., now it will tell me where to turn. If it will make the turns for me AND recognize stop signs and red lights I would definitely pay the $5,000.

Called Tesla yesterday. They told me they would honor my 4K price since my car was delivered pre June. I had to pay the 5k upfront and 1k would be sent back to me.

Leap of faith I guess. If they upgrade me to new hardware and I get some cool features I’m happy with the 4K price tag.

Sounds like for now it's still $5,000. That does not mean it will stay $5,000 forever.

They won't be delivering full self-driving. At most they'll be delivering a feature or features to "FSD"-package cars that EAP cars don't get.

Interesting that they talked about "confusion" when Elon himself in the past talked about being able to send your car off without a driver. And then they chose to use "FSD" for the name of an options package that will not achieve full self-driving ability for several years at the very soonest.

FWIW, my Tesla Account web page is still giving me the option to upgrade to FSD for $5,000. I'm not doing it. I was just curious if it was still an option. Maybe the week's not up yet, or maybe it's only new orders that won't be able to order it. Wondering what would get me to upgrade. The one thing I can think of would be traffic light and stop-sign recognition. If it would reliably stop for red lights and stop signs I might upgrade. Otherwise true in-city drive on NAV. I.e., now it will tell me where to turn. If it will make the turns for me AND recognize stop signs and red lights I would definitely pay the $5,000.
To be clear, i called Tesla main sales number on Monday to order FSD "off menu", and was told explicitly that i could not. I could change my order to LR RWD "off menu" as Elon mentioned in his tweet, but not FSD.

Called Tesla yesterday. They told me they would honor my 4K price since my car was delivered pre June. I had to pay the 5k upfront and 1k would be sent back to me.

Leap of faith I guess. If they upgrade me to new hardware and I get some cool features I’m happy with the 4K price tag.

Hm. This is frustrsting. I’m continually being told that it is impossible to get the original $4k price for my X that I bought in 2017.

This is with my local service center. Does anyone have recommendations of what I should do? Some other number I should call?

This is the response I’m getting from my local service center after showing 4 different cases of people saying their $4k price was honoured:

“Sorry I have no answers. We would need to figure who the OA is and speak to them. OA = Owner Advisor = Sales person. I suspect It only applies to those who were waiting for their Tesla delivery when the price went up.”