Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Tesla on Friday and it was the worst pick up experience ever. The staff were dismissive and condescending. They turned what should have been a fun and enjoyable experience into a miserable one. I nearly refused delivery just based on that experience alone. Alas once I sat in the car I figured I’d just let it go and drive the thing home.

Anyways, I ordered a new outdoor cover for it and I don’t need it anymore, it’s brand new in the box. Tesla is currently sold out. Anyone want it for what I paid for it?
Congrats! Can you provide more details on the experience why it became miserable.

Reactions: jpy1980
I picked up my Tesla on Friday and it was the worst pick up experience ever. The staff were dismissive and condescending. They turned what should have been a fun and enjoyable experience into a miserable one. I nearly refused delivery just based on that experience alone. Alas once I sat in the car I figured I’d just let it go and drive the thing home.

Anyways, I ordered a new outdoor cover for it and I don’t need it anymore, it’s brand new in the box. Tesla is currently sold out. Anyone want it for what I paid for it?
Please elaborate! We all want to know what went down!

Congrats! Can you provide more details on the experience why it became miserable.

Please elaborate! We all want to know what went down!
This is what I wrote when they asked for my feedback about my purchasing experience.

“The product itself is quite nice and I enjoy the car, however the delivery expectations (understanding the difficulties of covid and manufacturing) could have been a lot better than they were. It was difficult being quoted a cars arrival window and having that fluctuate by relatively large swings consistently. Barring the delivery expectations, the delivery experience itself was abysmal.

The day before my delivery I came into my local dealer to confirm that all my payment details had been squared away and that I was all set to pick up my car at the scheduled time the next day. The guy behind the counter was very pleasant, took my phone number, checked my account and said “you’re all set! We’ve got your payment and we’ll see you tomorrow”. Great!

The next day rolls around and I show up a little late to my delivery apt. It was scheduled for 11 I was there at 11:15. I walk in and walk up to a group of employees, say hi and state that I’m there to pickup my vehicle at the scheduled time. This is then followed up with “did you get a text saying that it was ready? They aren’t ready until you get a text saying that it is”. I wasn’t greeted with, “oh great! Welcome! Let’s look up your account and see where it’s at”. I got greeted with “did you get a text”. Annoyed I responded that I was not aware that I needed to wait to receive a text message, and that if I was supposed to wait for that, it should have been communicated to me. While I’m staying this one of the employees sternly, and obviously dismissing my concern interrupts me and asks me for my last name. I give it to him. Turns out the car is ready. Meaning that had they of just greeted me, and asked for my name when I got there, this entire negative interaction could have been avoided.

They tell me which spot my car is in and assign me an employee to help me add the car to the Tesla app so that I can unlock it. He walks me to the entrance of the dealer, helps me add the car to the Tesla app, shows me how to unlock it, points to where the car is, tells me there’s paperwork to sign inside of it, tells me to find him if I have questions, and then just leaves. I walk over to the car and start checking out the features, checking for panel gaps, scratches etc. I’m out there for about 40 mins before anyone comes to actually help me or ask me how it’s going or ask me if I had any questions. I was approached by a taller gentleman, skinny, longer curly hair. I’m blanking on his name, but he was EXTREMELY helpful! This is my first Telsa and I had lots of question on how to set charge limits, how to pair Bluetooth, how to get a door alignment fixed etc. I had lots of questions about a lot of different topics and this guys hung out with me for a good 30 minuets and answered every question I could throw at him. He was kind, attentive, caring, charismatic, and most importantly didn’t behave as though I was wasting his time. Which was the feeling I got from all the staff the moment I arrived at the dealership.

I left the dealership upset with the way that I had been treated initially by the staff. And it’s really affected my ability to enjoy the car as much as I could be. I was really excited to pickup the car, I had shaved, and changed into nicer clothes because I wanted to have someone take my picture of me picking it up. My excitement and joy was quickly snuffed out the moment I was “greeted” in the showroom. What should have been an exciting fun filled experience was quickly turned into a negative experience, one that could have easily been avoided. I am a pretty easy going person, easy to get along with, but oh man, the way I was treated by the staff when I got there, no way, it was absolutely unacceptable. To add insult to injury I noticed all the other customers picking up their cars had a staff member accompany them the entire time, to share in their enthusiasm and answer their questions. It made me feel pretty awful about the whole thing. Thank goodness the taller gentlemen with curly hair came when he did, he was able to breathe back a little joy into what was otherwise a dull, depressing and demoralizing experience. Buying my Chevy pickup truck was 1000% a better experience. And it shouldn’t be that way. I’ve never had such a negative experience buying a car ever. Knowing Tesla, me writing this was nothing but a waste of my time, because I’m nearly 100% positive that no one is ever going to read this, ever. There’s more that I could say about emails not getting answered, phone calls going unreturned, the dealer not answering the phone etc. Buying the car from a vending machine would have been more of a personal experience, hell, buying the car from a manikin with an iPad for a face would have been more enjoyable. At this point I’m just going to try and focus on enjoying the vehicle. As time goes on I am hopeful that the shadow of my delivery experience will not cloud my perceptions of my new vehicle. 🤞🏻

TLDR they profiled me because of my age and treated me like crap. I’m 30 FWIW

This is what I wrote when they asked for my feedback about my purchasing experience.

“The product itself is quite nice and I enjoy the car, however the delivery expectations (understanding the difficulties of covid and manufacturing) could have been a lot better than they were. It was difficult being quoted a cars arrival window and having that fluctuate by relatively large swings consistently. Barring the delivery expectations, the delivery experience itself was abysmal.

The day before my delivery I came into my local dealer to confirm that all my payment details had been squared away and that I was all set to pick up my car at the scheduled time the next day. The guy behind the counter was very pleasant, took my phone number, checked my account and said “you’re all set! We’ve got your payment and we’ll see you tomorrow”. Great!

The next day rolls around and I show up a little late to my delivery apt. It was scheduled for 11 I was there at 11:15. I walk in and walk up to a group of employees, say hi and state that I’m there to pickup my vehicle at the scheduled time. This is then followed up with “did you get a text saying that it was ready? They aren’t ready until you get a text saying that it is”. I wasn’t greeted with, “oh great! Welcome! Let’s look up your account and see where it’s at”. I got greeted with “did you get a text”. Annoyed I responded that I was not aware that I needed to wait to receive a text message, and that if I was supposed to wait for that, it should have been communicated to me. While I’m staying this one of the employees sternly, and obviously dismissing my concern interrupts me and asks me for my last name. I give it to him. Turns out the car is ready. Meaning that had they of just greeted me, and asked for my name when I got there, this entire negative interaction could have been avoided.

They tell me which spot my car is in and assign me an employee to help me add the car to the Tesla app so that I can unlock it. He walks me to the entrance of the dealer, helps me add the car to the Tesla app, shows me how to unlock it, points to where the car is, tells me there’s paperwork to sign inside of it, tells me to find him if I have questions, and then just leaves. I walk over to the car and start checking out the features, checking for panel gaps, scratches etc. I’m out there for about 40 mins before anyone comes to actually help me or ask me how it’s going or ask me if I had any questions. I was approached by a taller gentleman, skinny, longer curly hair. I’m blanking on his name, but he was EXTREMELY helpful! This is my first Telsa and I had lots of question on how to set charge limits, how to pair Bluetooth, how to get a door alignment fixed etc. I had lots of questions about a lot of different topics and this guys hung out with me for a good 30 minuets and answered every question I could throw at him. He was kind, attentive, caring, charismatic, and most importantly didn’t behave as though I was wasting his time. Which was the feeling I got from all the staff the moment I arrived at the dealership.

I left the dealership upset with the way that I had been treated initially by the staff. And it’s really affected my ability to enjoy the car as much as I could be. I was really excited to pickup the car, I had shaved, and changed into nicer clothes because I wanted to have someone take my picture of me picking it up. My excitement and joy was quickly snuffed out the moment I was “greeted” in the showroom. What should have been an exciting fun filled experience was quickly turned into a negative experience, one that could have easily been avoided. I am a pretty easy going person, easy to get along with, but oh man, the way I was treated by the staff when I got there, no way, it was absolutely unacceptable. To add insult to injury I noticed all the other customers picking up their cars had a staff member accompany them the entire time, to share in their enthusiasm and answer their questions. It made me feel pretty awful about the whole thing. Thank goodness the taller gentlemen with curly hair came when he did, he was able to breathe back a little joy into what was otherwise a dull, depressing and demoralizing experience. Buying my Chevy pickup truck was 1000% a better experience. And it shouldn’t be that way. I’ve never had such a negative experience buying a car ever. Knowing Tesla, me writing this was nothing but a waste of my time, because I’m nearly 100% positive that no one is ever going to read this, ever. There’s more that I could say about emails not getting answered, phone calls going unreturned, the dealer not answering the phone etc. Buying the car from a vending machine would have been more of a personal experience, hell, buying the car from a manikin with an iPad for a face would have been more enjoyable. At this point I’m just going to try and focus on enjoying the vehicle. As time goes on I am hopeful that the shadow of my delivery experience will not cloud my perceptions of my new vehicle. 🤞🏻

Glad you’re looking at the positives! Like finally owning that Awesome car! Damn, customer service is far from Tesla’s strong point. Hope they’re reading these and take a serious look at changing their culture. If not, eventually it will catch up with them because people will have so many more options for EV’s. I’m calling it now, if customer service does not significantly improve Tesla’s future will not be in selling cars but as a super charging service provider only.

Glad you’re looking at the positives! Like finally owning that Awesome car! Damn, customer service is far from Tesla’s strong point. Hope they’re reading these and take a serious look at changing their culture. If not, eventually it will catch up with them because people will have so many more options for EV’s. I’m calling it now, if customer service does not significantly improve Tesla’s future will not be in selling cars but as a super charging service provider only.
I agree entirely. I have their solar panels as well. The customer service is absolutely non existent on that side of the business. I’m eager for other manufactures to start making better EV’s that care more about their customer. I’ve been a long time Chevy customer and even when I had a lemon, I was ALWAYS satisfied with their customer service. Oh well, I’m just going to drive the thing and be happy about it haha.

Reactions: Where’s my car

They have great products like Apple but non-existence customer service. If the customer is not happy with delivery experience, how would their customer service would be if there are any issues. Hope they address soon. Congrats again! hope soon this experience is behind and you enjoy your MY.

Reactions: Daget24

Don’t let them spoil it for you…I always find it annoying when people who work in service, are total aholes. Why go into that field to make us all miserable?!

My friend who just got her car said that she loves driving it so much that she’ll never go back to a non-Tesla car.

So sorry that the experience was so bad….made me sad that you were so excited only to have them spoil it. Hope they read your email and at least speak to the employees. If enugh people complain, the’ll have to address it.

• Love
Reactions: Daget24
I scheduled another test drive today and too it out for 90 minutes.

the last two test drives I had with the 20” wheels—uncomfortable. This one felt more uncomfortable than the performance one I test drove previously. The 19” wheels, although test drove in May, felt the best but that’s a distant memory.

My Edd shows 8/14-9/2. When I asked the lady for my “soft date” she said November but they could “put a note in asking I get it by end of September.” She was a bit of a dunce and appeared clueless.

alas, the wait continues. I’m still borrowing a friends Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible with a 6-sp. it’s way more fun to drive than the Tesla but not child seat friendly and is 15 years old.

If it wasn’t for the supercharging network, which EV would you opt for? The E Tron looks nice but the price tag of the Kia is enticing as a commuter car.
A Tycan. Super comfy ride and the ev engine sound is fun.

Don’t let them spoil it for you…I always find it annoying when people who work in service, are total aholes. Why go into that field to make us all miserable?!

My friend who just got her car said that she loves driving it so much that she’ll never go back to a non-Tesla car.

So sorry that the experience was so bad….made me sad that you were so excited only to have them spoil it. Hope they read your email and at least speak to the employees. If enugh people complain, the’ll have to address it.
That’s a good outlook! I am enjoying the car. It’s just hard to give your hard earned money to a company that treats their customers like garbage. If there were any other companies that made a similar product at a similar price point, there’s no way I would buy anything from Tesla ever again.