Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California VINs: are you still waiting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe someone screwed up and pushed the wrong button and opened up all the San Diego orders (including online) at once by mistake?

They were trying to find the "incoming missile attack warning button" but clicked the wrong thing?

:p

Reactions: Pkmmte
I suspect they spreading deliveries to as many different delivery centers as possible so that no one center is a bottleneck. If they tried to cram all their Feb/March production into CA centers, those centers would likely be overwhelmed. The delivery experience for employees and owners has been relatively brief compared to what while happen to first time Tesla owners. Employees/owners are already familiar with Tesla.

So is it possible then that the CA delivery centers are already completely scheduled through the end of March which is why other states seem to be getting more vehicles?

So is it possible then that the CA delivery centers are already completely scheduled through the end of March which is why other states seem to be getting more vehicles?

If anything, it's the opposite. CA delivery centers don't have anyone to schedule. Almost all owners already took delivery, and no non-owners got VINs.

According to The Spreadsheet, the last time anyone took delivery in San Diego was on 2/9, and no deliveries are scheduled. Even allowing that we only have data for a small fraction of customers, that should show how busy delivery centers are. (Not.)

Maybe someone screwed up and pushed the wrong button and opened up all the San Diego orders (including online) at once by mistake?

They were trying to find the "incoming missile attack warning button" but clicked the wrong thing?

:p

Yeah. Twice. On the 22nd and then again on the 28th.

If the goal is to deliver as many cars to as many customers by 3/31, then I don't see why delivering to NC as opposed to San Diego is a benefit. Is there nobody closer than NC that wants whatever configured car is available? Of course there is, so delivering farther away doesn't help increase deliveries.

Delivering both places increases deliveries. However, to deliver in NC before the end of the month the car needs to go into transit now since it is shipped by train. To deliver in San Diego before the end of the month the car can go on the truck later. To deliver in the Bay Area they can take the last bit of production and have somebody just come pick it up. So it's just that the VIN for the further away place gets assigned earlier, because the VIN to delivery time is longer. In the end I predict there will be more California deliveries than elsewhere this month.

That's only the Model 3 but what about S and X deliveries?

That I don't know.
But if they were fully booked with S and X, that would make even less sense. Why send out a thousand+ of invites for the Model 3 to San Diego, if their sole delivery center is booked solid delivering S and X for a month in advance?

A poster above quoted 50 cars/day/site as a realistic delivery rate. The delivery center in San Diego would be lucky to do even that many. It doubles as the only service center for Tesla south of Costa Mesa/Irvine, and they don't even have room to put an additional 50 cars at once.

Google Maps

I'm a current owner and still don't have my car (2/4 config). I imagine there are hundreds more in CA waiting, too.

Let me guess. Pearl white/aero, no VIN?

That I don't know.
But if they were fully booked with S and X, that would make even less sense. Why send out a thousand+ of invites for the Model 3 to San Diego, if their sole delivery center is booked solid delivering S and X for a month in advance?

A poster above quoted 50 cars/day/site as a realistic delivery rate. The delivery center in San Diego would be lucky to do even that many. It doubles as the only service center for Tesla south of Costa Mesa/Irvine, and they don't even have room to put an additional 50 cars at once.

Google Maps

Let me guess. Pearl white/aero, no VIN?

Nope. Black, aero, EAP.

Nope. Black, aero, EAP.

I see. Aero wheels are the problem, most likely.

My point is, something like 90% of all CA owners had already configured by 2/1. Even configuring on 2/4, judging by the spreadsheet, you probably would have taken delivery by now if you opted for 19" wheels. Hindsight is 20/20, they say. The last batch of owner invites, the one that came on 2/14, is just as stuck as the first batch of non-owner invites on 2/22.

Only a few people report that they have VINs but they did not get their cars yet.

I see. Aero wheels are the problem, most likely.

My point is, something like 90% of all CA owners had already configured by 2/1. Even configuring on 2/4, judging by the spreadsheet, you probably would have taken delivery by now if you opted for 19" wheels. Hindsight is 20/20, they say. The last batch of owner invites, the one that came on 2/14, is just as stuck as the first batch of non-owner invites on 2/22.

Only a few people report that they have VINs but they did not get their cars yet.

Perhaps the bigger issue is paint color. I believe that if I chose any other color than black or white, I’d have my car by now considering the pattern of how Tesla is producing batched colors. Maybe...

Or they’re prioritizing 19s to pocket an extra $1.5K in the short term.

They appear to be making primarily 18's, but the ratio of 18s to 19s they put out is still too low compared with what their buyers actually want. In the last batch of orders (2/22 and later), customers ordering 18s outnumber customers ordering 19s 3 to 1.

Where? I haven't seen any CA cars in the last two days. (Google sheet) Nothing for today. Sooooo disappointing

In the linked thread, there's a report of a VIN today for someone who configured on 2/14. In the spreadsheet, there's a report of a VIN on 3/8 for someone who configured on 2/22. Both in SFBA.

I'd describe my present state as 'cautiously optimistic'.

I took another look at the Kearny Mesa site in San Diego; it is exactly as empty as before, and the only way they'll be doing any deliveries there before the end of March is if they drop fully prepped cars off the truck directly into the parking lot and then hand over keys to new owners. There won't be any maintenance or charging facilities in place any time soon.

My own ISA told me explicitly during the initial call that I'd be taking delivery at the "Miramar site". Although I'm not sure how much ISAs really know.

I grew frustrated enough with the San Diego permit search system that I wrote a 50-line script that basically pulls permits from the system sequentially by the thousand using a lower-level API, and put it to work. Crashed the system at least twice. Got as far as October. Found 20+ permits for SolarCity installations and powerwalls, two supercharger sites (one in Rancho Bernardo and one downtown, both previously mentioned on this forum), several SDG&E chargers, but nothing to indicate any work being done on a new Tesla delivery center anywhere other than 5600 Kearny Mesa.

Can't rule out a new delivery center elsewhere (e.g. Chula Vista).

Last edited:
Reactions: mjp462
In the linked thread, there's a report of a VIN today for someone who configured on 2/14. In the spreadsheet, there's a report of a VIN on 3/8 for someone who configured on 2/22. Both in SFBA.

Can't rule out a new delivery center elsewhere (e.g. Chula Vista).

The ideal Tesla service/delivery site would be the old Seaside Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealership off of Miramar near the 805, (6435 Miramar Rd, San Diego, CA). Full dealership facilities (garages, lifts, lots of parking, showroom/delivery area), easy access, and essentially vacant now (only used as a parking lot for commuters) and centrally located in San Diego.