Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Blue Long Range Y today. The entire car with the exception of one panel had overspray on it and felt like sand paper. Lots of scratches with couple of them deep, paint blemishes, rear doors not closing properly, paint drips under the clear coat and roof panel exposing cables. After 3 hours we agreed that they will put everything in writing and the issues will get addressed in nearly 3 weeks. Their paint guy came out and said BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, etc have same exact issues with paint blemishes at deliveries.......hmmm no. Delivery person pretty much said FU, reject delivery and we will have no problem selling the car. Wow, what a poor experience after picking up couple M5's at the Welt in Munich.

Reactions: enzoshadow
UPDATE: Got a call from the factory saying they are going to go over the car thoroughly... even re-run it through robotic equipment that checks door and hatch alignment... and “fix everything and deliver the car in perfect condition tomorrow”

I’m going to give them a chance to make it right. Stay tuned.

Reactions: Wrcthree
Underwhelmed today with delivery set for tomorrow.

The day before I received notice for delivery, I had called to ensure one last time everything was set and my TA said that I was, with a zero balance. Next day (Yesterday) I received the text to set delivery which had no problems until later that night I received a text that I had a $4k balance and that the terms of my loan had changed my monthly payment also. Needless to say I was perplexed so I had to wait until today to handle this.

So this morning I finally get a hole of someone from Tesla finance who has no clue how this happened and frankly didn’t believe me until I told him I had screenshots of my previous agreements. He said he will investigate and so a few hours later I get a call from the bank asking me questions regarding my finances and asking if I can upload requested documents. Basically had to redo my whole loan.

It took me a few hours to send over everything as I was not prepared to do this today and was out of the house doing errands. While I am waiting for a response from Tesla finance to confirm they received my documents, the delivery center calls me to move my appointment because I did not have my loan setup yet. I kindly explained the situation but he was adamant and rude that there was no way they would allow me on the lot without this done.

I told him that this was set a few days ago, and that my appointment was still 20 hours away, and that it would be extremely rude to move my appointment so prematurely when the delay was not caused in any way by anything that I had done. Finally received word from Tesla finance that everything was set again with zero balance and now the delivery center agent is gone. My delivery date and time still says the same on the website, but I’m going to be very upset if they move it tomorrow ...

Took delivery yesterday.... some panel gap issue on the rear hatch, and rear door trim is not aligned. Also driver window misaligned, not flush on the top edge with the weather stripping. Scheduled a service appointment for 2 week of October. Overall, very impressed with the car, just a little irritated.... Driving it removes those feelings though.

I don’t have enough posts to add pictures... but we’ve all seen the issues.

VIN: 53xxx

What delivery center? Buena Park told me they would not be able to adjust the upper door trim. Same with door gap. Not 53764 right?

Last edited:
Underwhelmed today with delivery set for tomorrow.

The day before I received notice for delivery, I had called to ensure one last time everything was set and my TA said that I was, with a zero balance. Next day (Yesterday) I received the text to set delivery which had no problems until later that night I received a text that I had a $4k balance and that the terms of my loan had changed my monthly payment also. Needless to say I was perplexed so I had to wait until today to handle this.

So this morning I finally get a hole of someone from Tesla finance who has no clue how this happened and frankly didn’t believe me until I told him I had screenshots of my previous agreements. He said he will investigate and so a few hours later I get a call from the bank asking me questions regarding my finances and asking if I can upload requested documents. Basically had to redo my whole loan.

It took me a few hours to send over everything as I was not prepared to do this today and was out of the house doing errands. While I am waiting for a response from Tesla finance to confirm they received my documents, the delivery center calls me to move my appointment because I did not have my loan setup yet. I kindly explained the situation but he was adamant and rude that there was no way they would allow me on the lot without this done.

I told him that this was set a few days ago, and that my appointment was still 20 hours away, and that it would be extremely rude to move my appointment so prematurely when the delay was not caused in any way by anything that I had done. Finally received word from Tesla finance that everything was set again with zero balance and now the delivery center agent is gone. My delivery date and time still says the same on the website, but I’m going to be very upset if they move it tomorrow ...
Where did you find a Tesla finance number? Having a similar problem and all the numbers I’ve found kick me to Tesla brick and mortar location. Then I’m told my info is being forwarded on...then nothing.

Last edited:
I picked up my Blue Long Range Y today. The entire car with the exception of one panel had overspray on it and felt like sand paper. Lots of scratches with couple of them deep, paint blemishes, rear doors not closing properly, paint drips under the clear coat and roof panel exposing cables. After 3 hours we agreed that they will put everything in writing and the issues will get addressed in nearly 3 weeks. Their paint guy came out and said BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, etc have same exact issues with paint blemishes at deliveries.......hmmm no. Delivery person pretty much said FU, reject delivery and we will have no problem selling the car. Wow, what a poor experience after picking up couple M5's at the Welt in Munich.

I was basically told the same thing... reject the car and they would sell it to someone less picky.

So.... they just pulled into my driveway. I refused delivery. Here’s the issues with the exterior (didn’t bother looking inside:
  1. 2 red sticky tape arrows on the hood pointing to large chips like something was dropped on it.
  2. Missing paint on the A-pillar clear as day.
  3. Rear hatch was so off where it meets the roof on the drivers side it was sticking up higher than the roof glass and on the passenger side it was contacting the bumper.
  4. Both front doors where they meet the rear doors were almost touching with huge gaps by the front fenders.
  5. Rear bumper where it meets the tail light was disconnected. We tried pushing it in but no go.
  6. Large scrapes down to the metal on the A-pillar.
  7. The rear hatch at the bumper had a collection of black specs UNDER the paint and several areas touched up (poorly)
The guy who delivered it was really nice and was actually mortified when I pointed these things out. He immediately called the factory and put me on speakerphone with a friendly guy who apologized up and down and said I had 2 choices: refuse and try to match with another car in a day or two. Or refuse delivery. The employee who dropped it off said this was his 12th and final delivery for the day and many were an hour from the factory. He was exhausted and said this was his first day doing this and that he was actually a software guy. Before he left he asked the fellow on the phone “should I bring it back to the tent where I got it?”

UGH
wow.. thats a lot of issues.. good thing you refused delivery.. what was your VIN?

What delivery center? Buena Park told me they would not be able to adjust the upper door trim. Same with door gap. Not 53764 right?
Costa Mesa... I showed him the gaps and he told me to take pics, make an appointment with the service center within 3 days/100 miles.

Hope he wasn’t blowing smoke up my a**.

My thought is it should be covered for realignment as there are plenty examples of MY’s that are even.

Reactions: rijc99
Question guy,

whats the CA sale tax rate?

My MY is 53k. Sale tax is $5100!

I was googling it. I see 7.25% for new cars. what am I missing?

TIA!

Sales tax is determined by what city it will be registered. ie Most of OC is 7.75. But there are cities like Santa Ana that has special add ons to bring it to 9.25. LA has cities that goes up to 10.25.

California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates - Cities, Counties and Tax Rates - California Department of Tax and Fee Administration

Reactions: yellowr6
For those of you who have picked up your vehicle at the Fremont Factory, were you able to inspect the car before accepting or did you have to accept immediately? This disclaimer was in my delivery instruction email:

"You will be required to pick-up your vehicle immediately upon arrival. Due to our high volume, we need to clear all spaces for incoming customers. Please perform any inspections at the comfort of your home. Any service concerns can be addressed and uploaded through your mobile app within 24-hours of your pick-up."

For those of you who have picked up your vehicle at the Fremont Factory, were you able to inspect the car before accepting or did you have to accept immediately? This disclaimer was in my delivery instruction email:

"You will be required to pick-up your vehicle immediately upon arrival. Due to our high volume, we need to clear all spaces for incoming customers. Please perform any inspections at the comfort of your home. Any service concerns can be addressed and uploaded through your mobile app within 24-hours of your pick-up."

Yeah I personally spent about 45 minutes inspecting the car in Fremont before accepting it. Also spoke with a couple delivery people there as well about issues I found and there wasn't any rush. I imagine it would be hard for them to actually rush you to accept once you're there in person as it would seem a bit shady.

Reactions: Wrcthree
For owners that have picked up at the Buena Park delivery location, do they try and rush you to accept the car or do they give you free access to inspect it? I'm not super picky but I'm not just going to do a 5 minute walk around either.

Also, they don't allow you to inspect the inside of the car?