Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, new to forum.. any Bay Area folks waiting without a VIN for a while?
I ordered a Y LR / white/black /19", no tow /no FSD on 9/27, forgot to add the no-trade in option that enables the Blue Submit order button but too care of that and arranged a Tesla Loan by 10/6. I’m still waiting to see a VIN assignment and our SC agent said it might take until December, seems very long

How long after being assigned a VIN did you receive the text to schedule pick up. Also what was the latest date available for you to pick up?

Ordered 9/28 (Blue Black , FSD, 19 in)

9/30 - 2020 VIN assigned. Too early as I wanted it around Oct 22 so rejected VIN.
10/5 - 2020 VIN assigned. Rejected too early and its a 2020 VIN.
10/15 - 2020 VIN assigned. Rejected as its a 2020 VIN.
10/20 - 2021 VIN assigned (666xx). Made full payment.
10/26 - received text for pickup. Earliest is tomorrow 10/28 at Burbank CA SC.

Hi All, new to forum.. any Bay Area folks waiting without a VIN for a while?
I ordered a Y LR / white/black /19", no tow /no FSD on 9/27, forgot to add the no-trade in option that enables the Blue Submit order button but too care of that and arranged a Tesla Loan by 10/6. I’m still waiting to see a VIN assignment and our SC agent said it might take until December, seems very long

I ordered almost same build as you but with tow hitch on 10/1... Completed everything and still no vin or any contact from Tesla.

I'm not surprise he said December, they usually push most of the California or West Coast orders towards the end of each quarter. Some people are getting theirs here and there. Just hope they get to yours before then. I don't mind waiting and hoping they release more upgrades by December, like hepa, new center console, and usb glovebox.

• Helpful
Reactions: sleepies
I ordered almost same build as you but with tow hitch on 10/1... Completed everything and still no vin or any contact from Tesla.

I'm not surprise he said December, they usually push most of the California or West Coast orders towards the end of each quarter. Some people are getting theirs here and there. Just hope they get to yours before then. I don't mind waiting and hoping they release more upgrades by December, like hepa, new center console, and usb glovebox.

I too don't mind waiting for those sweet updates but going through the loan application if it expires within 60 days would be so annoying grrr. I also have an inkling that those updates will show up next quarter and not for us (most likely) December deliveries...

Ordered 9/28 (Blue Black , FSD, 19 in)

9/30 - 2020 VIN assigned. Too early as I wanted it around Oct 22 so rejected VIN.
10/5 - 2020 VIN assigned. Rejected too early and its a 2020 VIN.
10/15 - 2020 VIN assigned. Rejected as its a 2020 VIN.
10/20 - 2021 VIN assigned (666xx). Made full payment.
10/26 - received text for pickup. Earliest is tomorrow 10/28 at Burbank CA SC.

Picked up my DEVIL'S CHILD (yes thats what I named my Y) a few minutes .. 3 minor issues 1) Charge port not aligned to body when closed 2) The rear passenger sets don't align by about 1/4 in (I can skip this if not being very picky). 3) 2 dings/depressions about 1/2 in on the trim behind the passenger seat. I opened a ticket on the app...

Bay Area, Fremont to be exact. Ordered 9/19 LR MSM 19" still waiting for VIN. I was told not to complete the financing part until the VIN is assigned if I don't want my credit to be run twice.

Picked up my DEVIL'S CHILD (yes thats what I named my Y) a few minutes .. 3 minor issues 1) Charge port not aligned to body when closed 2) The rear passenger sets don't align by about 1/4 in (I can skip this if not being very picky). 3) 2 dings/depressions about 1/2 in on the trim behind the passenger seat. I opened a ticket on the app...

How smooth was the pickup? Did they give you plenty of time to look it over? I pick mine up Saturday.

How smooth was the pickup? Did they give you plenty of time to look it over? I pick mine up Saturday.
yes as much time as you need.. It took me about 40 minutes though I really did not check some of the lights... it was so bright I couldn't make out.. so will check tonight and they are all covered under warranty anyway... One senior couple came to pickup and they were next to me and they just spend 5 minutes and drove away in new car.

...I've been meaning to ask about this but I'm new and I thought there was an obvious response so I shied away from asking...

So I understand that this logic works for the Model S/3/X since they're global products and there are only two factories in the world that can make them. Therefore the factories would be working diligently to produce those vehicles rapidly to on board them into the ships that will carry them into their respective destinations.

However, unless I am mistaken, the Model Y is currently only available in North America - US, CAN, MEX (Just tried changing the regional stores and in each respective language, it seems PRODUCTION begins in 2021 - so not building vehicles for those regions as of today)

So how does the end of December time frame still fit here? Are there really that many sales of the Model Y or do the production lines at Fremont change between different vehicle types?

Sorry for the newb question if this is obvious

Thanks for the feedback, I’m also not in a huge rush and would love to get the glovebox USB. It looks like we both will probably get the double pane glass windows. I just don’t want to push it too far and miss the PGE rebate or the 2k incentive application deadline. Plus I’m sick of buying gas for my current SUV..Hope we both get some extra goodies on our MYs