Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery yesterday. Fortunately came with AMD, front mud flaps, rear PPF.
One of the rims was deformed but I had it replaced with a new one.
Unfortunately, there was a small paint scratch on the top rear side of the car that I need to book an appointment to get it fixed.
Also, there are some panel gaps which I think is an issue but the Tesla advisor didn't think the same! the good old "within spec" response and it's supposed to be this way.
For example, the tail lights' gaps were clearly different, the gap between the lights on the left one was much wider than that of the right one but if I remember correctly, Tesla advisor told me because the power liftgate is on the left side of the trunk this difference is normal. There were some other misalignments and gaps which I'm not sure if it's normal.
I'm not too sensitive by any means! I'm the opposite but I was expecting better quality and I thought they got better on the gap issues.
I still didn't want to wait longer for another one and accepted the car.
Tesla really needs a solid and powerful competitor to make them fix their quality control problem faster.

Reactions: Rennei and iQueue
I took delivery yesterday. Fortunately came with AMD, front mud flaps, rear PPF.
One of the rims was deformed but I had it replaced with a new one.
Unfortunately, there was a small paint scratch on the top rear side of the car that I need to book an appointment to get it fixed.
Also, there are some panel gaps which I think is an issue but the Tesla advisor didn't think the same! the good old "within spec" response and it's supposed to be this way.
For example, the tail lights' gaps were clearly different, the gap between the lights on the left one was much wider than that of the right one but if I remember correctly, Tesla advisor told me because the power liftgate is on the left side of the trunk this difference is normal. There were some other misalignments and gaps which I'm not sure if it's normal.
I'm not too sensitive by any means! I'm the opposite but I was expecting better quality and I thought they got better on the gap issues.
I still didn't want to wait longer for another one and accepted the car.
Tesla really needs a solid and powerful competitor to make them fix their quality control problem faster.
Where’d you pickup? How can they not catch something like a deformed wheel? Do they not do any sort of QA before customer delivery? It doesn’t feel like it.

Where’d you pickup? How can they not catch something like a deformed wheel? Do they not do any sort of QA before customer delivery? It doesn’t feel like it.
I'd rather not disclose the location because I believe it's not that location's employees' fault.
As for the rim's issue, to be fair it wasn't too obvious but it was there. I believe they do QA but it might not be as thorough as it should be and it's not surprising, the manufacturing process itself seems like doesn't have a proper QA yet after all these years.

To be completely fair, the car is amazing and I really like it and it's like nothing else I've driven before but the QA problem needs to be solved if they want to remain in the competition.

I didn't receive this and my delivery process was exactly like this, no orientation and in the rain, it really wasn't easy to check the exterior of the car.
As much as I like efficiency, the whole luxury experience won't be there when taking delivery of these Tesla vehicles now. I know, the Model Y doesn't fall under luxury, rather the premium market as it's more so tech than luxury. I'm not saying I want the traditional "feel like a king" treatment, but it helped with the confidence of purchasing a shiny machine on four wheels upwards of $80K.

Reactions: rezla
May I ask which checklist app you’re referring to? I was just going to use a checklist I found online.
I used this one

also express pick up is" you walk in , show your license they give you the key, you find your car " do a walk around" open it , check inside , sign the papers, take pictures of any concerns, once your done go to the express pick up section, drop off the papers, payment and void cheque and your done. They release the car and off you go. There was a guy walking around helping but it was minimal. Its not a Luxury experience. They dont rush you, you technically can sit in the parking lot all day looking at every detail.. you decide the pace . The staff at the Lawrence location were super nice and answered my questions.

• Helpful
Reactions: iQueue
Anyone looking for amazing ppf and a solid price in west GtA? This owner and his shop are incredible. Location in Oakville…just check the reviews. He’s done 3 of my teslas now and also works on high end excercise as well as luxury brands…but a lot of teslas from the Oakville SC. His ocd work ethic is amazing and never a single issue with the ppf, tint etx.

owner is Jay…and you wont find a better PPF installer. He’s crazy abt perfection but he charged reg price :)

Attachments

• 71E58B68-7E8D-4E88-81BA-9838C90C8AF7.jpeg
    71E58B68-7E8D-4E88-81BA-9838C90C8AF7.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 100
Just picked up the car today. Thank god it is AMD chip. The car is perfect just a tiny bit paint problem. The SA said the body shop had been noticed and I can go to book appointment to fix it.
Watch out, just because the SA says that they have been notified and it can be fixed doesn't mean the service center will agree (many times they will say "within spec" - just ask thesteve :confused:

A couple things that I noted, SA agreed it should probably be adjusted with the service center when dropping off the car, ended up being labelled within spec.

Reactions: RCR8 and rezla
Watch out, just because the SA says that they have been notified and it can be fixed doesn't mean the service center will agree (many times they will say "within spec" - just ask thesteve :confused:

A couple things that I noted, SA agreed it should probably be adjusted with the service center when dropping off the car, ended up being labelled within spec.
What sort of issues were considered within spec? I’m picking up soon, so just curious to know what I should be concerned about.

What sort of issues were considered within spec? I’m picking up soon, so just curious to know what I should be concerned about.
As I had mentioned before, some things I wanted adjusted and some I didn't really care (i was just being as thorough and picky as possible when listing every misalignment, even if it was off by 1-2mm)

This is the list of things I wrote that were misaligned (even slightly)
  1. Plastic under the charge door comes outwards, it is sharp (!!!) when running your hand along the body of the car
  2. Tailgate misalignment - spacing is tighter on left than right, the left tailgate light sticks out more than the body part of the light, the left tailgate part is lower than (2-3mm) the body where it meets, glass of the tailgate is slightly higher than the roof glass
  3. Right sideview mirror is sunken (~2-3mm) from the rest of the body (left rearview mirror is flush)
  4. Driver rear door bottom half is slightly inset from the body panel, flush at the top half of the door
  5. Passenger rear door window trim sticks out about 2-3mm from the body panel behind it
  6. Frunk is slightly lower ~1mm
  7. Rubber seal of body at the tailgate area sticks out a bit, folded slightly

1 was fixed but they said it was within spec, I had to insist on them fixing it (its just a piece of plastic, take it off, heat it and bend it slightly) before they would bring it back into the shop and fix it before I left - it actually curves in too much now, but I'd rather that than a sharp point
2 was improved, not perfect but the misalignment is reduced. Light sticking out has not been improved but the side meeting the body is reduced significantly. Not concerned about it.
3. Improved, did not completely go away
4. can't fix this they said, the door itself is slightly off in manufacturing and if they adjust the door the top half will come out instead (didn't bother me, I didn't care if it was adjusted. hard to see) sounds like more of an excuse, could be fixed if you take off the door but it would take them too much time. They really try to get you to leave after 90 min. Service appointments are booked for 90m each.
5. This was considered within spec by them
6. Fixed completely
7. Not fixed, they said it was within spec/can't do much about it, was folded, can submit another ticket and ask for them to replace the seal completely later.

As far as I can tell, I had no paint issues.

Finally received our Model Y on Thursday! Generally an OK experience for an express pick up structure regarding simplicity, but in my case, not so express (details explained below). I used the checklist suggested from @AM22. I was also trying to be detailed, but nothing egregious found. Here are my key notes regarding my delivery experience at the Lawrence East location.

The delivery was exactly as @AM22 had described it. But because of some of the issues I found, instead of rolling out of the lot within 15-30 minutes of arriving, I took possession of the MY about 2.5 hours later...
  • scuffs found on the bottom black window trim on passenger side (was due to adhesive residue from shipping film)
  • slight misalignment with liftgate
  • roof glass misalignment (spacing running from the front to the back along passenger's side is noticeably larger than driver's side)
  • residue left inside driver's side headlight due to condensation
The reason for the 2.5 hour schedule was because they replaced the driver's headlight immediately after I brought these concerns to them as they acknowledged that could be a safety issue. They did say all the lamp housings are vented to allow for condensation to eventually disappear throughout the day, but this particular headlight housing was showing leftover residue that was visually distracting. I thought that was great customer service, regardless of having to wait a little longer for Tesla to delivery the car. My girlfriend and I went out for a bite to eat during the 1.5 hours they needed to remedy the issues. They couldn't work on the glass roof as that was apparently going to be a bigger job, so they said I can schedule another service appointment in the near future for it.

Regarding the other concerns I pointed out, they did try and do something about them, but after getting the car back, it looked like only a slight improvement. Nothing to cry over.

The staff at the Lawrence location, from the sales centre to the service centre were all very friendly and accommodating.

glass roof gap.jpeg
window trim scuffs.jpeg
Headlight Condensation.jpeg

Finally received our Model Y on Thursday! Generally an OK experience for an express pick up structure regarding simplicity, but in my case, not so express (details explained below). I used the checklist suggested from @AM22. I was also trying to be detailed, but nothing egregious found. Here are my key notes regarding my delivery experience at the Lawrence East location.

The delivery was exactly as @AM22 had described it. But because of some of the issues I found, instead of rolling out of the lot within 15-30 minutes of arriving, I took possession of the MY about 2.5 hours later...
  • scuffs found on the bottom black window trim on passenger side (was due to adhesive residue from shipping film)
  • slight misalignment with liftgate
  • roof glass misalignment (spacing running from the front to the back along passenger's side is noticeably larger than driver's side)
  • residue left inside driver's side headlight due to condensation
The reason for the 2.5 hour schedule was because they replaced the driver's headlight immediately after I brought these concerns to them as they acknowledged that could be a safety issue. They did say all the lamp housings are vented to allow for condensation to eventually disappear throughout the day, but this particular headlight housing was showing leftover residue that was visually distracting. I thought that was great customer service, regardless of having to wait a little longer for Tesla to delivery the car. My girlfriend and I went out for a bite to eat during the 1.5 hours they needed to remedy the issues. They couldn't work on the glass roof as that was apparently going to be a bigger job, so they said I can schedule another service appointment in the near future for it.

Regarding the other concerns I pointed out, they did try and do something about them, but after getting the car back, it looked like only a slight improvement. Nothing to cry over.

The staff at the Lawrence location, from the sales centre to the service centre were all very friendly and accommodating.

View attachment 773559 View attachment 773560 View attachment 773561
Wow, though the staff were very friendly to you, they should have caught & addressed the issue of headlight ahead of time. This sounds they don't care much on issues unless customer report back.

Reactions: rezla
Wow, though the staff were very friendly to you, they should have caught & addressed the issue of headlight ahead of time. This sounds they don't care much on issues unless customer report back.
I hear you, and understand your point. This would fall under the ubiquitous complaints about Tesla's quality control problems. I can defend them and say, "they're trying and hopefully learning and getting better" or go the other way and say, "they need to get their act together because this is horrible for vehicles selling at this high price point." I've done enough research and I knew what I was getting into before fully committing to this purchase, so I can say I was willing to take the potential lack of five star service from Tesla. In the end, we're still happy with the car (that feeling can easily change down the road if problems come up during our ownership of the MY).

I hear you, and understand your point. This would fall under the ubiquitous complaints about Tesla's quality control problems. I can defend them and say, "they're trying and hopefully learning and getting better" or go the other way and say, "they need to get their act together because this is horrible for vehicles selling at this high price point." I've done enough research and I knew what I was getting into before fully committing to this purchase, so I can say I was willing to take the potential lack of five star service from Tesla. In the end, we're still happy with the car (that feeling can easily change down the road if problems come up during our ownership of the MY).
Agree with you on the “eyes wide open” approach. I’m also generally okay with some of these panel gap and cosmetic flaws (to a degree), as long as major/functional things are okay. And I’m going to trust that the software based upgrades, recalls, fixes will keep progressing. I’m counting on the whole enchilada still being better/best vs competitors when all is factored in.

Still, it would be nice to actually get my car— still estimated delivery in June from October delivery date. 😵‍💫