Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ironically of the 14 stations coming to Tassie, this is one of the 3 which is not getting a grant and therefore the July deadline isn't relevant!

(the other 2 of the 3 are the southern Evie location - Kempton/Brighton, and another as yet unknown location)
Hah! Well, since they announced those grants last July there doesn't seem to have been a lof of noticeable progress on them (maybe there is behind the scenes) - except for Scottsdale, which does make the state a little top heavy with regard to fast chargers...!

Hah! Well, since they announced those grants last July there doesn't seem to have been a lof of noticeable progress on them (maybe there is behind the scenes)

Yeah, I can only assume that is the case! I'm checking all the various haunts (council documents, etc) for activity but nothing public yet. The Evie site at Campbell Town is being discussed at their council meeting tonight, and the Geeveston Visitor Centre apparently mentioned things will be happening there soon but I'm not aware of any physical evidence.

Reactions: Dave3333
View attachment 511007 Kings Meadows site is looking good. A couple of vehicles were invited for testing on Wednesday, but word is some more work is required to be done before it is 100% ready for public use.

This one went live on the Chargefox app today, has already had a couple of uses :)

upload_2020-2-20_23-45-5.png

This article about the (lack of) fast chargers in SA: Are our regional roads ready for electric vehicles?

Features this quote:
In September last year, Australian public electric vehicle charging network Chargefox announced a plan to install more than 100 ultra-rapid charging stations across the country.

The first SA site at Keith BP is in the final stages of construction. A second charger will be developed in Murray Bridge.

I didn't know Keith was under construction....

And Murray Bridge! That would be the first of Chargefox's "second round"... (i.e. their initial plan only included 22, this is the first known one after those!)

Worth noting that Evie's plan specifies Tailem Bend so there is a bit of variety in the future locations in that area.

Yes, you can use the CCS2 network. But the charging speed will be limited by the battery pack to about the same speed as supercharging.
I have a Model 3 so this isn’t relevant for me, I was just curious if the argument for an S/X owner tossing up the pros/cons of a CHAdeMO adaptor vs. CCS2 retrofit for their car would be that with the former they will get no better than 50 kW charging but with the latter they might? Also the convenience of not needing an adaptor...

I have a Model 3 so this isn’t relevant for me, I was just curious if the argument for an S/X owner tossing up the pros/cons of a CHAdeMO adaptor vs. CCS2 retrofit for their car would be that with the former they will get no better than 50 kW charging but with the latter they might? Also the convenience of not needing an adaptor...
Seeing as the cost for retrofit is about the same as a CHAdeMO adapter, and that CCS2 looks to be the DC charging standard moving forward, it's really a no brainer (unless you live away from a service centre, hence can't retrofit your car, CHAdeMO adapter can just be shipped to you).

Also CCS2 retrofit does require an adapter for S and X still, it's just really small, unlike the huge CHAdeMO one.

Seeing as the cost for retrofit is about the same as a CHAdeMO adapter, and that CCS2 looks to be the DC charging standard moving forward, it's really a no brainer (unless you live away from a service centre, hence can't retrofit your car, CHAdeMO adapter can just be shipped to you).

Also CCS2 retrofit does require an adapter for S and X still, it's just really small, unlike the huge CHAdeMO one.
Very true, I should have mentioned ... the retrofit for S/X is all beneath the surface. The plug stays the same. The retrofit includes a small plug adapter for using CCS2.
I was thinking of getting it done to my car. The NRMA network would be useful for country trips.

For about the same money, you get up to 120kW charging, as against 50kW, on chargers that have both plugs anyway.
But beware: there are a few older DC chargers that have Chademo and CCS1, so you would be stuck there. Plugshare usually tells you which CCS it is, but not always.

But beware: there are a few older DC chargers that have Chademo and CCS1, so you would be stuck there. Plugshare usually tells you which CCS it is, but not always.
These are an endangered species, are they not? The first few NRMA DCFCs had CCS1, but they replaced the plugs with CCS2 a few years back, before they went on the expansion we see now. I don’t think CCS1 exists any more in NSW.

These are an endangered species, are they not? The first few NRMA DCFCs had CCS1, but they replaced the plugs with CCS2 a few years back, before they went on the expansion we see now. I don’t think CCS1 exists any more in NSW.

There are very few CCS1 chargers left in Australia (I think fewer than 10) but the important thing is that I don't think any of them are very far from a CCS2 alternative.

e.g.
RAC WA was built for Leaf/i-MieV range, half the stations have been upgraded to CCS2, so Tesla owners are OK.
Some CCS1 are in cities like Canberra/Melbourne/Brisbane but there are multiple CCS2 in each city as well.

There are very few CCS1 chargers left in Australia (I think fewer than 10) but the important thing is that I don't think any of them are very far from a CCS2 alternative.
Wollongong has a 50kW CCS1 and CHAdeMO charger at Fairy Meadow, but the closest CCS2 chargers involve traveling to Sydney or Berry.

Sydney is up a major hill climb then a long trudge through suburbia to Zetland or Broadway.

Berry is closer & doesn't have a hill climb, but it's not exactly convenient.

I do a lot of local driving when I pass through Wollongong. It'll be annoying until Chargefox Shell Cove eventually opens. My Model 3 SR+ arrives in two weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman