Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got 8.0 and haven't had a chance to test out the USB yet, but if it will play tracks in order, you could rename each file in a folder and add 01, 02, 03, 04, etc. to the front of the file name. If you don't want to do it by hand, there is a utility called TheRename that will rename all files in a selected set anyway you want, including adding bits to a filename like a sequential count.

The problem is not the file name but the TITLE tag. I've been using TeslaTunes and it does rename the files with a sequential number. What we need is to tag the TITLE tag with a sequence number since 8.0 is sorting by the TITLE.

So....another major issue. I have a USB drive with about 120GB of FLAC, AAC, and mp3s. Obviously, the new navigation system is a disaster for people with large collections. However, even worse, I discovered that my car rescans the drive everytime I restart the car. And that scan is dramatically slower than on 7.1 This means my music is not available for the first 15 minutes of each trip. That's just not acceptable.

Same issue here. It's painful.

Reactions: Richg
So....another major issue. I have a USB drive with about 120GB of FLAC, AAC, and mp3s. Obviously, the new navigation system is a disaster for people with large collections. However, even worse, I discovered that my car rescans the drive everytime I restart the car. And that scan is dramatically slower than on 7.1 This means my music is not available for the first 15 minutes of each trip. That's just not acceptable.
Good god. That is not acceptable.

Well, I'm not updating from 6.4. Actually, that one's bad enough that if the service center updates without my permission, I'll have to ask them for monetary damages for damaging my car. They've been quite good about not updating.

• Love
Reactions: sorka
I just got 8.0 and haven't had a chance to test out the USB yet, but if it will play tracks in order, you could rename each file in a folder and add 01, 02, 03, 04, etc. to the front of the file name. If you don't want to do it by hand, there is a utility called TheRename that will rename all files in a selected set anyway you want, including adding bits to a filename like a sequential count.

GACK. Tesla 8.0 Media Player makes Windows 95 look brilliant.

• Funny
Reactions: sorka
No I haven't, but the extremely long scan times you and @BertL have reported sound like they are the same problem I've been having. Unfortunately, I declared success too soon, I guess I just got lucky the one time. Since then, I haven't been able to have my stick successfully scanned to completion and made available for playing regardless of energy-saving setting. :-( I'm imaging my USB stick right now, preparatory to flailing at it a bit. The fact that @BertL reports similar absurd scan times and also, if I recall correctly, reports having similar enormous, flat directories to mine, makes me think I should take my enormous, flat directories and turn them into lots of little subdirectories instead. It still feels to me like the scan algorithm went from being linear to quadratic or worse in the number of files in a subdirectory, although of course that's only a wild guess at this point.
Rearranging things so I had no more than a couple hundred files in the largest subdirectory doesn't seem to have materially helped. Yes, the stick did eventually scan and was made available for playback – I'm gonna guess, based on a few minutes worth of timing and eyeballing the progress meter, that the scan proceeded at very roughly 1% per minute. But then for no apparent reason when I left the car and came back to it later, the stick was rescanning again, sitting at 46%. So: occasionally it works, for as long as it works, but at best it's completely unreliable.

At this point, I suppose I could continue to flail at the problem, rearranging the file system, reducing the number of files, that sort of thing. But diminishing returns have set in. Even if I could get the stick to scan and stay mounted reliably – something I doubt – the massive UX regression in 8.0 means I couldn't practically make use of my library anyway. So I guess I'm just going to switch to using my phone for playback. :-( Further debugging is really better performed by someone with access to the source code anyway. Maybe I should send them one of these:
Screen-Shot-2013-04-04-at-12.50.34-PM.png

My first experience: 300 albums, 250 artists, all flac. Scanned fine. Finally using my album art! Scrolling sucks, but if I swipe far right, I can avoid accidentally hitting an item and having to start over.

Oh, and play seems to stay paused overnight as it should. But need to see if that lasts.

Scrolling and artist/album would be my priorities.

My first experience: 300 albums, 250 artists, all flac. Scanned fine. Finally using my album art! Scrolling sucks, but if I swipe far right, I can avoid accidentally hitting an item and having to start over.

Oh, and play seems to stay paused overnight as it should. But need to see if that lasts.

Pause does not work, either overnight, or when exiting and reentering the vehicle.

Size in GB and number of tracks on that storage volume?