Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Italian doctor dies of coronavirus after working without gloves

A 57-year-old doctor who tested positive for coronavirus and who was working in a hospital in the town of Codogno has died.

Marcello Natali had been hospitalised in Cremona before being transferred to Milan after developing double pneumonia. In one of the last interviews he gave before he was tested for COVID-19, he told Euronews that he had had to work without gloves: "They have run out," he said.

Numbers are going to sky rocket here (US) also, now that testing is ramping up. They have a drive through testing center in my city and it sounds like they have been doing a lot of testing.

Just to add...I just read that one of my local hospitals now has onsite testing capabilities so that they can get results within hours versus days. Sounds like they will have a good amount of test (not sure what would be considered a sufficient amount though). Seems to be a big step in the right direction.

“Too many people making arguments of the form “extreme lockdown measures in China and Italy seem successful in preventing mass death therefore all this advocacy of extreme measures in the US to avert mass death is a panicky overreaction.”

this is what people like Musk don’t seem to understand. Deaths would be in the millions according to the experts, thus the need to take these drastic “panic” steps.
The single most effective reaction has been that of South Korea, by far. That reaction was calm, rational, and included no mandatory lockdowns. Testing and quarantining has quite clearly worked best.

Amazing how many times we have a perfectly successful template right in front of our faces and ignore it.

The demand for cars is going to plummet. Tesla should be working on alternative production that allows their plant to stay open, such as ventilators.
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 7.48.08 AM.png

96% of the deaths in Italy are for people age 60 and over.
99% for those age 50 and over.
https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Infografica_18marzo ENG.pdf
They are also forced to triage criticial cases, where they likely prioritize the young and those without health conditions.
Italy prioritises younger patients for treatment, in a war-like triage to tackle coronavirus

Half of coronavirus patients in the Netherlands who require intensive care are under the age of 50, according to a study of hospital admissions reported in NRC. Although nearly all the 24 patients who have died so far were over the age of 70, the disease can cause severe acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in much younger patients. Half of all patients who are admitted to intensive care for ARDS die.

Read more at DutchNews.nl:
Coronavirus: half of Dutch intensive care patients are under 50 - DutchNews.nl
Might be because more young people go skiing in the Alps(which was a hotspot for transmission), but we should be careful with extrapolating the Italien age figures...

I'm aware of Elon's tweets. By the time there is a shortage, it will take a week or longer to ramp up production for ventilators, and then time to ship them out to hospitals. By then we will be further along the exponential curve.

Anyone that criticizes Trump and his response to this should also note that their Lord and Savior Elon is falling into the same traps.

The county has already shutdown Tesla's production lines, they should take this opportunity to re-tool for alternative production and get ahead of this, instead of behind. It would also allow them to re-classify as "essential" and they could keep all of their employees employed, instead of 25%.

Do you realize that the medical Council yesterday just declared that the positives must be in reality at the least 5 times the nr indicated here, and any comparison with it doesn't give you a clue? All we are left is looking to the daily absolute number.
It is very unfortunate that we just sent half million kit test to US because we don't have enough labs for the analysis, the lack of testing is the real problem now in Italy, cause it highly reduce the understanding of the situation.

Daily increase o positives @ 18 march

View attachment 523369
It doesn't matter what the "real" positive number is, only that the reported number is correlated with the "real" amount. If the real number goes up, the reported number needs to go up, and vice-versa. That allows you to see the underlying trends.

I have to assume that the reported number, at least early on, was related to the number of more serious cases (people who went to the doctor). If they start testing asymptomatic people (e.g. general screening) then the reported number will rise even though the real spread could be flat or declining.

I imagine we'll see large increases in reported cases here in the US in the coming days because testing is increasing.

The single most effective reaction has been that of South Korea, by far. That reaction was calm, rational, and included no mandatory lockdowns. Testing and quarantining has quite clearly worked best.

Amazing how many times we have a perfectly successful template right in front of our faces and ignore it.
Agreed, but we got so far behind due to lack of test availability that option really isn't open anymore.

The US only spends about three times as much per capita on health care as S. Korea so you can't expect world class results.

I'm aware of Elon's tweets. By the time there is a shortage, it will take a week or longer to ramp up production for ventilators, and then time to ship them out to hospitals. By then we will be further along the exponential curve.

Anyone that criticizes Trump and his response to this should also note that their Lord and Savior Elon is falling into the same traps.

The county has already shutdown Tesla's production lines, they should take this opportunity to re-tool for alternative production and get ahead of this, instead of behind. It would also allow them to re-classify as "essential" and they could keep all of their employees employed, instead of 25%.
Tesla has not terminated any employees. They are all still "employed". Maybe you meant "doing productive work", but even that is misleading; the 25% doesn't include all the people able to work perfectly well from home (software, management, finance...)

Reactions: JRP3
I completely agree. I wasn't aware you'd read them, just thought it was funny you'd mentioned it and he had as well.

To me it is not unreasonable if Tesla waits for orders (actual orders from authorities to produce, or orders for product from some customer) before committing to retool and start manufacture. USA has (on pergament) religious freedom, of course, so prayers are not forbidden (only placebo).

Edited: And same goes for SpaceX, of course.

The demand for cars is going to plummet. Tesla should be working on alternative production that allows their plant to stay open, such as ventilators.

Tesla produces cars to order, not to inventory. If they continue to produce cars out of Fremont (as they appear to be doing, even today), it's because they have orders.

I agree that people are pausing buying big ticket items during this period. Why would you buy a new car if you don't know if you're going to have a job in a month? But Tesla is unusual, to say the least. They have a huge backlog of Model Y orders. Now a bunch of those are going to be deferred, but not all of them.

As far as switching to ventilators, you realize there are domestic (and international) ventilator manufacturers that have already ramped up production, right? Resmed is just one example in my neck of the woods. They also make CPAP machines, but have temporarily diverted those manufacturing resources to making hospital ventilators. They, and other manufacturers who know how to make ventilators, and have FDA approval, are making a bunch and selling them.

There is also a limit to how many ventilators the market can absorb. If you don't have enough ICU beds, and space for ICU beds, more ventilators won't help.

There is no way in hell Tesla can make hospital grade, tested, and regulatory approved ventilators in a week. Where do they get the molds from? The expertise? The supplies? All component suppliers are already sending their supplies to existing ventilator manufacturers.

People are taking Elon at his word. I dare say he was being sarcastic and/or making a point that there isn't a ventilator shortage.

They have not shut down car production.

Tesla produces cars to order, not to inventory.

I don't think that is true anymore. It certainly isn't with Model 3/Y, they make batches of cars ship them out and then match them to orders. I'm not even sure it applies to S&X anymore. (That was part of why they got rid of all of the customization you could make.)

I don't think that is true anymore. It certainly isn't with Model 3/Y, they make batches of cars ship them out and then match them to orders. I'm not even sure it applies to S&X anymore. (That was part of why they got rid of all of the customization you could make.)
Agreed cars are no longer tailormade, but rest assured production will slow down if a significant drop in demand is sensed. And every car (almost) is connected to a downpayment a customer already paid, so if people need the money elsewhere they are likely to ask for their money back, signalling a "lost" sale.

There is no way in hell Tesla can make hospital grade, tested, and regulatory approved ventilators in a week. Where do they get the molds from? The expertise? The supplies? All component suppliers are already sending their supplies to existing ventilator manufacturers.

GM and Ford say they can do it (they didn't give a timeline). A vent is not actually that complicated a piece of equipment, except for the electronics (and I don't know where those will be sourced from). It's a servo air pump. Elon even tweeted that the work wasn't very hard. I'm sure if the gov wanted it done, they would force current manufs to share their designs (for which they would likely get a royalty for every unit Tesla/Ford/GM produced).

And, as you so pointed out, if it takes longer than a week to transition (I'm not necessarily arguing that), then they need to start sooner rather than later. Once we are behind this curve, people will simply die from lack of appropriate medical care.

We are already seeing, likely due to the US population's poor health in general, that 40-65 year olds are requiring higher levels of support than expected:
Nearly 40% of those hospitalized with coronavirus are younger than 54: CDC

Please, I wasn't making an argument about the finer points of manufacturing. Tesla has a daily view on orders, unlike traditional auto that sells through dealers. Tesla can see order flow in real time and adjust when necessary. If they are continuing to build cars, it is LIKELY that they have orders for them. It would be financial stupidity to continue manufacturing right now if they didn't have customers and the County is asking them to shut down production.

Reactions: Lessmog