Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to RE-UP on this, you cannot buy a premade Tesla diag cable and use it on the refresh cars, unless you have a device that is wired read can messages from OBD-II pins 12,13. If you use one of the existing cables, you will not have access to the Vehicle bus, which has arguably the most important/useful data. I have had success re-pinning a premade cable from Maxwell (they sent me some pre-crimped ones by mistake), but I don't recommend this, as the connector is troublesome to deal with.

Also, as a followup, I am finally posting info on the pins you want to crimp to get data on refresh cars. I'll add links to the Maxwell Auto cable datasheets as a reference for the sumitomo connector.

Note: (Pins 18 and 19 on the sumitomo are also populated on refresh and likely relate to the redundancy (party) bus, but there isn't much useful data on that bus and this is unconfirmed.)

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.01.55 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.04.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 11.04.30 AM.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 228
Just to RE-UP on this, you cannot buy a premade Tesla diag cable and use it on the refresh cars, unless you have a device that is wired read can messages from OBD-II pins 12,13. If you use one of the existing cables, you will not have access to the Vehicle bus, which has arguably the most important/useful data. I have had success re-pinning a premade cable from Maxwell (they sent me some pre-crimped ones by mistake), but I don't recommend this, as the connector is troublesome to deal with.

Also, as a followup, I am finally posting info on the pins you want to crimp to get data on refresh cars. I'll add links to the Maxwell Auto cable datasheets as a reference for the sumitomo connector.

Note: (Pins 18 and 19 on the sumitomo are also populated on refresh and likely relate to the redundancy (party) bus, but there isn't much useful data on that bus and this is unconfirmed.)

View attachment 697205
Thanks for posting this wiring diagram @rhuber !! Could you please share a link to the non-crimped cable I can buy, as well as what crimping tool I would need to create my own cable?

Reactions: rhuber
Thanks for posting this wiring diagram @rhuber !! Could you please share a link to the non-crimped cable I can buy, as well as what crimping tool I would need to create my own cable?
This is the one you want for the tesla side (NOTE: not all pins are wired, and the ribbon cable is only 11 conductors, so use the reference sheet to figure out how to wire it up)

And then buy any generic crimpable obdii connector. I've used these cheapos from amazon, and they've been fine so far:

I just made quite a big discovery, and I need help from anyone with a 2021 Model 3/Y!

Apparently Tesla has hidden a dedicated Model S-style CAN diagnostic connectors in Model 3 since Oct 2020!
It should be hidden behind the passenger footwell. I noticed the change in the EDR cable guide at Event Data Recorder

And, by coincidence, this "CAN Connector" has the same new pinout as we noticed changes in the new 2021 Model S/plaid

So we might FINALLY have a single, easy to access connector, with mutiple canbusses, common across all 2021 Teslas!

I need help with anyone with a 2021 to help confirm it exists, and we get good data.

I also need help begging Maxwell to update the Model S cables to make the pin swaps needed for 2021 Model S, and apparently now 3 as well.

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 2.27.53 PM.png

This is the one you want for the tesla side (NOTE: not all pins are wired, and the ribbon cable is only 11 conductors, so use the reference sheet to figure out how to wire it up)

And then buy any generic crimpable obdii connector. I've used these cheapos from amazon, and they've been fine so far:

Thank you so much - ordered both! Any recommendations on a decent Bluetooth ODBII scanner? I had a cheap ELM327 reader from Amazon that did fine with my Model 3, albeit with slow refresh rates (under 60fps), but I'm wondering if I should up the game and go for ODBLink LX or MX+.

Last edited:
Save yourselves the learning expense and go for a dual bus CANserver, don't even bother with any BT devices. They neither have the data rate nor the dual bus capability to keep up. CANserver lets you log the full data stream to SDcard for later analysis - or connect in real-time via Wifi (which has enough bandwidth as opposed to BT).

Reactions: rhuber and Krash
Save yourselves the learning expense and go for a dual bus CANserver, don't even bother with any BT devices. They neither have the data rate nor the dual bus capability to keep up. CANserver lets you log the full data stream to SDcard for later analysis - or connect in real-time via Wifi (which has enough bandwidth as opposed to BT).
As I mentioned earlier, I had a cheap (like $12) ELM327 BT device that ran just fine with SMT, albeit with a low data rate, but it was good enough for my utilization.

I know @amund7 (author of SMT) was recommending the ODBLink LX or higher products for better data rates, so I'm willing to consider this. But I'd like to stick to a wireless BT device so I can use my Android tablet.

Sweet! Does it work well with ODBLink's MX+?
Yep, works pretty well with that one. The downside of the OBDLink ones is that they are only single-bus. Most of what you want will probably be on the Vehicle bus, but you'll miss some goodies. Drag strip timer may depend on two busses (GPS is on Chassis iirc), but I don't recall for sure.

Still highly recommend @JWardell and friendz canserver as a solid device for this. As a bonus, there is a huge empty space under the wireless phone charger in the S, so you can hide everything down inside that spot very easily. Super clean install, especially with a bluetooth or wifi CAN device.

• Love
Reactions: JWardell
Yep, works pretty well with that one. The downside of the OBDLink ones is that they are only single-bus. Most of what you want will probably be on the Vehicle bus, but you'll miss some goodies. Drag strip timer may depend on two busses (GPS is on Chassis iirc), but I don't recall for sure.

Still highly recommend @JWardell and friendz canserver as a solid device for this. As a bonus, there is a huge empty space under the wireless phone charger in the S, so you can hide everything down inside that spot very easily. Super clean install, especially with a bluetooth or wifi CAN device.
Thanks, I'll check out canserver. Do you have a link handy to where I could buy one?