Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you able to check supercharger rates on a website or app anywhere? I am actually quite concerned about how much it will cost to supercharge since that’s my most viable option right now. If it’s more expensive than ICE I think I might hold off on the purchase. I’m in SoCal btw
I believe you can only check rates in the vehicle. The Model Y has an 81 kWh battery, but most drivers will rarely charge more than 60 kWh in a session. The article below says California is ranging between $0.25 and $0.60, which amounts to a cost between $15 and $36 for charging approximately 75% of the battery capacity (or 245 miles for a LR). I have tesla Solar and charge at night, but if you don't have solar, one trick is to charge the minimum amount during peak hours and charge to 90% when rates are lower. Or if you can, take advantage of free charging with employers, etc. Still much less than gas...

Reactions: bigboi
OD: 1/13 - Profile Completed 1/14
White / black / 19
OEDD: 1/19-2/1
Vin: 1/19
Updated EDD: 1/24-1/31

I was asked to schedule my deliver today 1/23. However, my trade-in offer is still pending. I can acutally see the trade in value in the loan agreement page, but that might not be the official one. And the sales tax is still calculated according to the full car price. My guess is that the trade in car is on a lease, that's why it take forever for them to figure it out. Anyone has similar situtation?
When you trade on a lease you don't get a tax credit.

Are you able to check supercharger rates on a website or app anywhere? I am actually quite concerned about how much it will cost to supercharge since that’s my most viable option right now. If it’s more expensive than ICE I think I might hold off on the purchase. I’m in SoCal btw
There are people who buy these cars without home charging all the time, but unless you have easy access to home or work charging, you have to be doing this for some reason other than convenience. I think these are the best commuter cars in the world, but only if you can easily charge where your car will naturally spend a large portion of its time parked. Thats either at home (preferably) or at work.

Its my opinion that no one should buy any full BEV (this one or any other) if they dont expect to be charging primarily at one of those two places. You already have cold feet, based on a couple posts, so you should really consider canceling this order and going with some sort of hybrid or something.

Thats not a "your not worthy" or anything, far from it. I just dont think every product is right for every person, and feel pretty strongly that planning on supercharging being the primary form of charging is a recipe for frustration. You are going to charge the car probably twice as often as what you have in your head right now, for instance.

(yes I know this is OT, sorry about that).

nodding.

I had a M3 but sold it so I have a bit of experience with Tesla. When I saw that Tesla lowered the price plus the qualification of Fed tax credit, I put my down payment the next day (1/14). I knew it may be too late for Fed tax credit if you waited a few days. Now, I am deciding on whether to buy or cancel.

If I drove more, it would be a no brainer and definitely would buy despite some well placed concerns. Fun to drive and is the perfect size for me. But I would be lucky to put 6000 mile a year on the car. Question for me is... what will be the depreciation be in 5 years? It could be only a few thousand less than what I paid for it. Or, perhaps it drops like a stone. Who knows?
Probably drop like a stone. The only reason used car prices went crazy was due to the pandemic and chip shortage.

Reactions: WyoDude and MikeR2k
I only pulled a trigger when the price was reduced even though I don't really need a car (have a perfectly drivable tuned Volvo XC60 2012 with 96K on it). With $7500 tax credit from the feds and the $2000 from the state after all taxes and credits the car will be $48.5K out of pocket, which is cheap in the current price environment. I think at the current state of affairs and the electricity rates rising (thank Biden for sending gas to Europe and therefore bringing the price level in the US to the European level) it only makes sense to buy electrical if you have another ICE car in the household for long trips. Electrical will be for local needs (kids to school, errands, etc), charged at the house only (solar on the roof). I had a car trip last year from Denver to Northern California and took the scenic route on hwy 50 through Nevada avoiding I-80. Guess what, same trip in Tesla needs to be along I-80 for superchargers, fighting all these trucks, and the time added to the trip for charging stops will require additional 2.5-3 hours just for charging. EV is really for local commute only as far as I see it. As long as you are ready to make these mental adjustments EV should be fun.

Reactions: bigboi
Don't even have my delivery date yet, just my VIN and I already ordered some accessories because I was too excited lol. (MYLR)
Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

1. Spigen Tempered Glass Screen Protector [GlasTR EZ FIT] designed for Tesla Model 3 / Y Dashboard Touchscreen - Matte/Anti Fingerprint
(Someone here recommended this, so I bought it immediately after reading the reviews)

2. SUPER LINER All Weather Floor Mats for Tesla Model Y 5-Seat 2021 2022 2023 Custom Fit TPE Car Floor Mats Cargo Liner Rear Cargo Tray Trunk Interior Accessories

3. Spigen Console Organizer Tray (Carbon Edition)

4. Seven Sparta Charging Cable Holder with Chassis Bracket for Tesla Model 3 Model Y Model X Model S Charger Cable Organizer Tesla Accessories Car Wall Connector
(I decided to go the NEMA 14-50 + mobile adapter rather than the wall charger route, so I figured this would come in handy)

5. BASENOR Tesla Model Y Mud Flaps Splash Guards Winter Vehicle Sediment Protection No Need to Drill Holes(Set of 4)

Reactions: geekfam
There are people who buy these cars without home charging all the time, but unless you have easy access to home or work charging, you have to be doing this for some reason other than convenience. I think these are the best commuter cars in the world, but only if you can easily charge where your car will naturally spend a large portion of its time parked. Thats either at home (preferably) or at work.

Its my opinion that no one should buy any full BEV (this one or any other) if they dont expect to be charging primarily at one of those two places. You already have cold feet, based on a couple posts, so you should really consider canceling this order and going with some sort of hybrid or something.

Thats not a "your not worthy" or anything, far from it. I just dont think every product is right for every person, and feel pretty strongly that planning on supercharging being the primary form of charging is a recipe for frustration. You are going to charge the car probably twice as often as what you have in your head right now, for instance.

(yes I know this is OT, sorry about that).
Yes I completely agree with what you’re saying. Only problem is it’s my wife that wants the car LOL. We are replacing her current BMW F80 M3 that I had given to her and she’s crying about the car being cramped, uncomfortable and uneconomical haha. She’s been talking about getting an EV SUV for ages but I never thought the MY was a good value proposition at $70k OTD so I insisted we wait till the EV prices come down. And guess what, they did come down right when I was about the pull the trigger for her on a G05 X5. I’ve explained to her what she’s going to have to deal with but she’s more than happy to since the shops that she frequents (Target, target, the mall, target) all have superchargers. Probably a great reason why she should shop more 🤦‍♂️ We also live in SoCal so the charging network is quite accessible so I’m not too worried about it. Our apartment complex also said they would install chargers ”soon”.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I believe you can only check rates in the vehicle. The Model Y has an 81 kWh battery, but most drivers will rarely charge more than 60 kWh in a session. The article below says California is ranging between $0.25 and $0.60, which amounts to a cost between $15 and $36 for charging approximately 75% of the battery capacity (or 245 miles for a LR). I have tesla Solar and charge at night, but if you don't have solar, one trick is to charge the minimum amount during peak hours and charge to 90% when rates are lower. Or if you can, take advantage of free charging with employers, etc. Still much less than gas...

Ok. That’s still a decent amount of savings if we can stick to off peak hours

Usually you should have a VIN when the range is less than 2 weeks.
You can try the searching source code trick. Open up your Manage my Order page in a web browser. Then depending on which browser you can bring up the source code of that page. If using Google Chrome just hit CTRL+U. Then hit CTRL+F and enter "7SAY". If it finds a result with a full VIN then that is your VIN.
Thanks arbitrage000. Still no VIN even in the source code. Just as I've done these past couple weeks, I'll keep looking... every 10 minutes ;-)

Reactions: arbitrage000