Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone ever get rated range?

Model S- Over what % of your driving have you attained the rated range?

• <5%

Votes: 60 30.9%
  • 5%-20%

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • 21%-50%

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • 51%-80%

Votes: 38 19.6%
  • 81%-100%

Votes: 40 20.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I am a super happy and proud Model S 75D owner. But I have to say that perhaps over JUST 1% of the driving that I have done in the past month, I may have gotten the rated range. As in if the computer tells me 100miles range and I have driven 100 actual miles and that only 100 were shaved off my range and not more. You get it, right?

99% of the times I usually experience anywhere from 10-30% range loss. Just a disclaimer I know how the range loss works, the colder the battery or the ambient and outside temp and speeds and air conditioning, heat, etc, payload, everything effects range. But I'm curious to find out from other MS owners whether anyone ever is able to get rated range out of their cars or if it is like that "EPA rated mileage" unicorn number that no one EVER attains? Please click on the poll below to provide your response. Thank you!!!

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
As your new tires wear down you'll experience less rolling resistance, and your efficiency will improve a bit--perhaps 5% or so.

Not only that, but the wheel diameter decreases resulting in more wheel turns for same distance making it appear that you're going more miles on the same charge vs when the tires were brand new.

I get rated range, or better, much of the time in the spring, summer and fall.
The EPA range is not the winter range, it represents the average range over a year (there is a winter correction applied)

As I recall, the EPA tests for the regular cars are done with 19" wheels. If you drive like the EPA test you will get the EPA rating.
If you have 21" tires, drive more aggressively, drive in rain or winter conditions, you will get less.

On my Model X, rated range is based on 327 kwh per mile, and over the course of 14,494 miles, my average energy consumption is 324 kwh per mile, so I've done about 1% better than rated range. With winter's onset, though, average range is creeping down as climate control takes a big bite out of range.

I've kept meticulous records via TeslaFi.com of energy consumption as it relates to temperature (as well as drive length), and here is the current chart for my Model X 90D:
ModelX-TempEfficiency-MEK-thruDec2016.png

As you can see, the "sweet spot" for my car sits at 60 to 70 degrees F, and especially on longer drives I'm getting better than rated energy consumption from the mid-40's through mid-80's Fahrenheit. But energy consumption climbs rapidly on either end of the temperature scale.

Bottom line is that it shouldn't be surprising that the OP's introduction to energy consumption during the Michigan winter is a bit scary. But when the temperature breaks 50, you'll see much better performance (till it gets so hot you need lots of A/C).

Last edited:
I'm looking at just about rated range averaged over three years and 80,000 km / 50,000 mi. I do a lot better than rated in the warmer months, and quite a bit worse in winter. And it averages out.

I'm a conservative driver but not above "smoking" someone when necessary. Perhaps I'm a lot more conservative than most MS drivers, because I got 72,000 km / 45,000 mi out of my original 19" tires.

Hi everyone,

I am a super happy and proud Model S 75D owner. But I have to say that perhaps over JUST 1% of the driving that I have done in the past month, I may have gotten the rated range. As in if the computer tells me 100miles range and I have driven 100 actual miles and that only 100 were shaved off my range and not more. You get it, right?

99% of the times I usually experience anywhere from 10-30% range loss. Just a disclaimer I know how the range loss works, the colder the battery or the ambient and outside temp and speeds and air conditioning, heat, etc, payload, everything effects range. But I'm curious to find out from other MS owners whether anyone ever is able to get rated range out of their cars or if it is like that "EPA rated mileage" unicorn number that no one EVER attains? Please click on the poll below to provide your response. Thank you!!!

Summer will be an extremely pleasant surprise. As long as you keep your speed in check it's quite easy to hit rated range (or more) on open highway. In the winter in Michigan... forget it. It won't happen... ever. Except maybe going downhill.

Hi everyone,

I get the rated range in my S70 with 19" wheels most of the time; sometimes higher, occasionally a bit lower. I notice that my S85+ with 21" wheels loaner over-estimates actual mileage by between 15%-20%, however. I do think that the odometer is accurate regardless of tire size because that would be factored into the calculation made by the computer.

For highway driving (75-80), we typically get 70% of the rated range.

Slowing down to 60-65 helps considerably to achieve the rated range. So drivers do have the ability to stretch range by controlling speed, at a trade off with driving time.

Tesla's energy tool on the Model S page only goes to 70 MPH - if it went to 80, the range would drop a lot.

Reactions: appleguru
Highway driving, without speeding and in mild temperatures, you can get rated range.

City driving, you will not. Below freezing temperatures, you will not.

It's like any other car - it will take more energy in those situations.

New owner of 75D here as well. Just finished a 1000 mile road trip over 3 days. Drove in freezing cold temperatures 25F to 38F, thru mountains, snow storms, rain and also flat-ish freeways (hard to find fully flat roads in Pac nw). I drove like I drive any car, which is pretty aggressive with speeds +10 over limit at least and heat at 70. My wh/mi for that trip averaged about 345. I was pretty happy with that. There were stretches where I averaged below 300, which gave me rated range. But you have to have kind of ideal conditions and drive like a Prius:)

My only complain is that at 100% charge, it shows me 253 rated miles and not 259. Is that due to cold temperatures?

First, before you can ask this question... did you ever get Rated Milage in your gas vehicle? :p

I never did and you probably not either. We just didn't notice because there was a gas station and every corner and could 'charge up' on a whim. That, with a gas tank that was never really the size stated (eg. 50 litre tank would actually hold 54) and fluctuating gas prices meant we could never really compare apples to apples.

I only started paying attention to 'rated mileage' with the Tesla due to long, ambitious drives and gaps in the charge network. During those drives I can indeed get rated range (even in winter) with deliberate choices in speed, drafting trucks and wearing jackets to lower the heat.

On short drives or with Superchargers, I don't care what my power usage is because it's freeeeee! lol.

But, I think the ultimate answer you want is this. After two years and 50,000km, I traded in my 2014 Model S85 with an overall average of 224 Wh/km (versus the rated of 200). So, not too far off and that includes two Canadian winters.

My problem now is my new Model X still bases its rated range at 200 Wh/km despite being larger and heavier. After only a few weeks, I can tell achieving that on long drives is going to be hard.

I just did my first real work commute. 28 miles. Half interstate, half local highway (45mph). Only .3 miles of local road (35mph). 313wh/mi. This is in Chicago with heat at 72 and driver seat warmer turned to 3. I think I could've knocked it down to 290 if I turned heat to 68. It was really really foggy and 40F (which is very warm for Chicago in January).

I think I will get the rated miles in any season but winter. No way rated wh/mi is 200. That means 5 miles per kwh. My 60 would do 300 miles per full charge using that math. Clearly not right. Rated use is more like 275wh/mi.

First, before you can ask this question... did you ever get Rated Milage in your gas vehicle? :p

In my old civic I would always get more than EPA rated.

The real problem is with the efficiency of EVs as well as other false numbers tesla provides. Again I won't go into the false numbers and the OP should seek those out here in this forum.

As for the efficient arguments. Since the car is much more efficient compared to an ICE, sight changes in the driving habit weather or speed will greatly affect the output range one gets. It goes both ways. I.e. If someone really hyper miles they can get pretty decent range. On the other end you can get pretty shitty range. Since most people drive over the speed limit it is expected most people will get below rated range.