Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question:
I'll get a new DU for my 2014 P85+ in a couple of weeks. Which components will this encompass? Engine, inverter obviously... anything else?
Based on experiences in this group will it be most likely one of the "next generation" with higher durability?
Anything to watch out for particularly since my MS is a +-Version?
Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

What is the "milling sound?" My CPO P85+ got a new DU installed before I took delivery ~3000 miles ago. Cruising at highway speeds, I can hear a sort of oscillating drone sound but I can't tell where it's coming from. Sounds like the front of the car though. It's a very faint sound so I haven't paid too much attention to it, thinking maybe it's normal.

What is the "milling sound?" My CPO P85+ got a new DU installed before I took delivery ~3000 miles ago. Cruising at highway speeds, I can hear a sort of oscillating drone sound but I can't tell where it's coming from. Sounds like the front of the car though. It's a very faint sound so I haven't paid too much attention to it, thinking maybe it's normal.

I just had a DU replaced because of the droning sound at highways speeds, typically over 62mph. It also got louder the faster you go. Last January, I had a DU replaced for the milling noise and noticed a slight droning sound at freeway speeds with the replacement. About 7k miles later, it got loud enough to overcome wind and tire noise. If I lifted to coast with the kW meter neutral (not using or regen), it would be completely silent. Hopefully the third DU this year is the charm.

Reactions: TravisT
From what I read, you will get the same replacement DU. Remember, any old one they get back they just rebuild.

The replacement DU will be the latest rev. I assume it's rebuilt, but they will update it with all the latest parts.

I had the DU replaced a few months ago on my 2013 P85+ due to low speed clunking/clacking noise. My new DU was the latest rev P.

The DU replacement in January has a different part number than the one from this month, both revision Q. I wonder what the difference is.

January: ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,BASE,CMC,HS,FA2+ (1025276-00-Q)

September: ASY,P-TRAIN,MECH,COMPLETE,RC (1002633-00-Q)

I believe the 1025276-00-Q part is remanufactured version of 1002633-00-Q.

So it appears you got a reman unit in Jan and a new unit in Sept.

It will be stated on your service invoice. Mine was replaced about 3,000 miles ago for milling noise, it's been perfect.

Oh, I don't have one of those. Mine was replaced during the CPO process.

Mine was replaced today and the number is not on the RO. I inquired and was told that "We don't provide that information to our clients". So do I need to get under the car with a flashlight or what?