Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had the DU for my 2013 S replaced , for noise. It wasn’t an obnoxious amount of noise , my like a whir from the Jetsons.

The replacement unit was
ASY,P-TRAIN,MECH,COMPLETE,RC(1002633-00-T)

How can I tell if this is remanufactured ? Is that what RC means ?

Sigh. Wish my service went this well.

car went in for new front half shafts. They damaged the drive unit somehow. Wait X weeks. Get new drive unit. Wait Y weeks, notice boot on new halfshafts was torn and is slinging grease. Waiting now for another set of new half shafts...

cost me $200. Cost Tesla $$$

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
My swap was due to a full failure of the unit while I was on the highway.. it threw up all of the gears in red and lost all power . I restarted and limped it home. Got the car back on Tuesday and it is quiet though a little less efficient on the display.

I love my RWD car so I’ll cross my fingers that this car lasts.

My 2017 S75 has droning sound at highway speeds above 82 mph from day one ownership, didn’t want to go through the whole DU swapping thing again (replaced two DUs on my previous 2013 model S for the droning), but it seems to be getting louder and if I’m going to keep this car that noise will get to me. Here we go again with asking them to check it out, hoping they’ll agree it’s too loud. Ive never had a silent model S. I’ve had a few loaners that were silent so I know it’s possible!

My 2017 S75 has droning sound at highway speeds above 82 mph from day one ownership, didn’t want to go through the whole DU swapping thing again (replaced two DUs on my previous 2013 model S for the droning), but it seems to be getting louder and if I’m going to keep this car that noise will get to me. Here we go again with asking them to check it out, hoping they’ll agree it’s too loud. Ive never had a silent model S. I’ve had a few loaners that were silent so I know it’s possible!

Sigh. Wish my service went this well.

car went in for new front half shafts. They damaged the drive unit somehow. Wait X weeks. Get new drive unit. Wait Y weeks, notice boot on new halfshafts was torn and is slinging grease. Waiting now for another set of new half shafts...

cost me $200. Cost Tesla $$$

I paid Tesla $2500 to do my half-shafts & clevis mount (LH DU mount) last September. In early June the front DU sheared off its RH mount bolts and launched into the EPAS motor, causing a loss of power steering. Under my DU warranty, Tesla replaced my half shafts, front DU, front DU mounts & bolts, and steering rack. Cost to Tesla: $$$$

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I paid Tesla $2500 to do my half-shafts & clevis mount (LH DU mount) last September. In early June the front DU sheared off its RH mount bolts and launched into the EPAS motor, causing a loss of power steering. Under my DU warranty, Tesla replaced my half shafts, front DU, front DU mounts & bolts, and steering rack. Cost to Tesla: $$$$
How long were you without a car?

Hello, new to Tesla ownership here. I recently purchased a 2013 Model S P85, sold to me with a just-installed remanufactured HV battery. It began making a "clink" / "clunk" sound on acceleration /deceleration from a stop or very slow speed. I also discovered a droning sound at 65-85 mph on the freeway. Took it in, and Tesla replaced the DU; Tesla also replaced the front hub and bearing assemblies, front brake rotors and front brake pads. Picked it up this morning.

What I take to be the DU replacement code reads:
ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS(1025598-00-T)

Would someone be able to translate this code into English so I can understand what Tesla put in my car?

I am especially curious to know what the "T" in "1025598-00-T" refers to (other posts having commented on "-P" and "-Q" codes)?

Is there any way to tell from the code whether my DU has ceramic teeth? I have read in forum posts that ceramic DUs are more durable. Is that true?

All insights welcomed - thank you.

• Helpful
Reactions: dekuramen
...Is there any way to tell from the code whether my DU has ceramic teeth? I have read in forum posts that ceramic DUs are more durable...
Are you sure it was teeth and not bearings? Tesla has used ceramic bearings since 2014 when they figured out that the conductivity of the early bearings was a problem.
...I am especially curious to know what the "T" in "1025598-00-T" refers to...
I doubt Tesla documents the letter revisions. Unless it is a major revision like the ceramic bearing change, forum members would be unlikely to be keeping track either.

Last edited:
Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS(1025598-00-T) 1.0
ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER(1003783-00-B) 1.0

Also paid for alignment + suspension inspect + retorque ($480 CAD)

Concern: PD** Customer states alert appeared pertaining to BMS on vehicle. See Jeff - BMS BRICK 6 SENSE alert, battery checkup needed? Escalated to our engineering team for inspection. Confirmed that alert will be resolved with upcoming firmware update. No repairs to be performed at this time. Correction: General Diagnosis

Concern: PD** Customer states: BAT - contactor impedance alert, balloon squeal sound on acceleration sometimes Client declined the replacement of the battery contactors at this time. Correction: NO LABOR PERFORMED

Is my BMS doing it's job with internal resistance? Or are they limiting my battery even more? I received a few alerts within the past few months
BMS_SW_assertion, BMS_brick_6_Sense(voltage inconsistencies), and some BAT contactor impedance alert. I have a B type battery pack that is capable of Supercharging @ 120kW but today it never stays above 100kW for very long. A year ago my 100% charge estimation read 403km, today it reads 395 after approx 80,000km. I am concerned my older contactors will blow and leave me stranded unexpectedly. On a positive note I am excited for a clunkless 'T' re manufactured drive unit that apparently is more powerful, silent and has stronger regen according to you folks here. I pickup the car tomorrow.. Did any of you guys have an alignment covered with the DU replacement under warranty? I feel that it's already required and shouldn't be on the invoice. My main concern was vibration and motor clunking.

QsaQPwy.png

I'm getting my motor replaced as well. It seems the T is the latest model. Also RMN isn't included in this description so I guess it is a brand new one. Would this be the entire motor or only part of it? They said it needs to be ground shipped and takes about a week.

Look at my original post of what happened to get this going: Clunking sounds

Parts Ordered for Your Service Visit

Hello Besnik,

Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.

Parts Ordered
  1. ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT, LARGE DU
    Part #: 1002633-01-T

Order Date: November 13, 2020

You may review, modify, or check the status of your appointment at anytime on your Tesla app. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Thank you so much for being a Tesla customer.

Tesla

Please note: Parts required for your service that are available on site at our service center will not be listed here. Some parts ordered may not be installed during service if there is no fault found with the parts currently installed in the vehicle or if the parts are within Tesla standards.

DU.jpg
Got this today: ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,MECH,COMPLETE,18.5 RTR (1002633-01-T). 2014 P85. From what I can see this is a new unit. Fault message was "Power reduced - service needed". Glad this happened within 8 years of warranty:)

Last edited:
Reactions: besnova