Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

?Drop off of rate of charge at Supercharger St Leonards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are going nuts with these conspiracy theories. The site needs maintenance. We’ve seen similar things here in the USA at locations like Murdo, South Dakota and a few others. Tesla isn’t trying to cheat you or skimp on the electricity bill.

Have you called Tesla to report it?

Last edited:
Reactions: powerfactor
Good to know I am not the only one and also that I am not imagining it. Now I need to check the Broadway supercharger and see if there is a difference. If there is then as has been suggested the problem is simply Artarmon.
I really REALLY hope that Tesla is not deliberately short changing those of us early pioneers!

Good to know I am not the only one and also that I am not imagining it. Now I need to check the Broadway supercharger and see if there is a difference. If there is then as has been suggested the problem is simply Artarmon.
I really REALLY hope that Tesla is not deliberately short changing those of us early pioneers!
Charged at Broadway last week and got similar slow rates.

There are lots of employees on many of these threads.
I have a 2015 90 and have always had varying rates of charging. Some for apparant reasons (2 charging off same pair etc) and other times for absolutely no reason (only car charging at midnight etc). It could be at any number of SC's around the country.
These forums seem to get a lot more nagging about non-issues fallacious assumptions and anecdotal evidence. In the end not many perceived problems turn out to be true, (and if they do then there is usually a valid reasoning for it) and at the end of the day one always has the freedom of choice.
If there was a better alternative I'm sure not many people worldwide would even consider buying a Tesla.
Lower your expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Can't complain about this for my 2015 90s. 2 out of 4 sc's in use

20190713_201514.jpg

Reactions: Murbs
Just charged at St Leonards and was back to good charge rates. Was at 24% and the charge rate started at 110kW, then by 32% was up to 114kW. At 50% was 100kW then tapered down to 48kW at 80%
Ok, so now I need to go back and try. Maybe tomorrow. Will report back when I do. There was an update since I last supercharged and it consisted of the Easter egg nonsense. (I don’t use any of them), however who knows what in the background has also been adjusted?

Ok, so now I need to go back and try. Maybe tomorrow. Will report back when I do. There was an update since I last supercharged and it consisted of the Easter egg nonsense. (I don’t use any of them), however who knows what in the background has also been adjusted?

85kWhr Model S reduced Supercharging rate reduction confirmed by TOCWA
Compare it to the lower set of figures in the above test, if it's even lower it may give an idea that as well as the software reducing your range Sydney has also powered down the supercharger stalls. Take a 20/30/40/50% screenshot the moment it clicks over.

Started on 39% charging at 52kW. On 1A. No one next to me in 1B at St Leonards. So 40 mins to get to 90%! NOT HAPPY! Dropped to 51% shortly after it started and stayed there. At 59% was down to 41kW. At 67% down to 36kW. At 75% 32kW. At 82% 28kW. Finishes up at 22kW. Software version 2019.24.1d133ad. Only 2 other cars there and each of us was on a different bank, so not sharing the charger. For the last 10% of charge, i was the only car charging. A neighbouring model X on a different bank was getting 87kW at around 50%. So, my conclusion is they are artificially restricting the charge speed for signature cars on free supercharging for life!

Started on 39% charging at 52kW. On 1A. No one next to me in 1B at St Leonards. So 40 mins to get to 90%! NOT HAPPY! Dropped to 51% shortly after it started and stayed there. At 59% was down to 41kW. At 67% down to 36kW. At 75% 32kW. At 82% 28kW. Finishes up at 22kW. Software version 2019.24.1d133ad. Only 2 other cars there and each of us was on a different bank, so not sharing the charger. For the last 10% of charge, i was the only car charging. A neighbouring model X on a different bank was getting 87kW at around 50%. So, my conclusion is they are artificially restricting the charge speed for signature cars on free supercharging for life!

Whilst I don't dispute your figures, I cannot believe Tesla would artificially restrict free for life supercharging vehicles. Even if they did, I wouldn't be fazed. The older the batteries become the less they are likely to behave as when new.
My photo above shows my charge at about 40%. My batteries are the 2015 version of the 18650. I have lost about 7% capacity and never get more than about 95kw charge. When I began the above charge at about 18% it went to about 50kw for a while and ramped up to the 94 kw at about 35%. It then progressively dropped similar to yours. This is normal for me and has been so for a couple of years. I charge a lot to 90%+ and run it down to 10%- regularly. I don't have an issue, it exceeds my expected performance when I bought it new and for such a " changed paradigm" of transport, I think it's the best car I've ever owned, despite a few problems. Such problems fade into insignificance when thinking of the dramas I've had all my life with the beemers and mercs I've had.

They do but are not saying, early 85 pack cars have had supercharging speeds reduced to protect batteries. @Dborn charged at speeds in line with this, nothing wrong with the Superchargers, it's the cars.
I agree. It is my car, or rather the new software that has been installed on it.
You know, even if all the technological reasons advanced on this and other forums are correct, for Tesla not to have told us they were doing this is very sneaky. Perhaps they dont owe us the technical reason (if there is one), but they should have put it in the release notes for the updates. This is not “minor bug fixes” .
I wonder whether a journey supercharger would be different? I am not going on a trip anytime soon, but would love to hear from anyone who has experienced this slow down issue with a metropolitan charger who then does an intercity trip. Are you getting the slower charge in the city but not in the country? Or, is it the same?

I have put in a formal complaint to [email protected].

You know, even if all the technological reasons advanced on this and other forums are correct, for Tesla not to have told us they were doing this is very sneaky.

It's also interesting that they chose this time to patch the method that allowed owners to get root on their cars. So we saw 3 major changes for the older cars:

- Reduced supercharger speeds
- Reduced range on some cars (have you checked your range dborn?)
- Removed the ability to get root (which would allow you to roll back to an earlier firmware)

Tesla really want these changes to stick....

It just makes it clear that these batteries aren't going to last the life of these cars. Tesla really need to figure out how they are going to do replacement/upgrades. You'd hope with the 2170s and the much better current battery pack designs.

I'm going to stick on 2019.16.1.1 as long as I can. I'm also no longer going to charge above 80% unless I absolutely have to. The packs are clearly much more fragile than we were led to believe.