TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

?Drop off of rate of charge at Supercharger St Leonards

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Dborn, Jul 11, 2019.

1. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Just saying based on what is happening in Europe there may be a setting in the modified Superchargers to give the CCS2 cable priority.
    upload_2019-7-15_21-15-55.jpeg

2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

That sucks!!!!

3. m4rtin

m4rtin Member

I’m guessing the priority for M3 is only at sites with mixed single and dual cable SC. Therefore trying to keep the only ones the 3s can use available. No idea if true though but would make more sense than a sweeping 3 > S or X

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I think the M3 priority stickers are just those sites with incomplete cables. Ie if you can, you should park your S/X in a stall without a CCS cable.

• Like x 1
  5. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Have just charged to 90% on a regular PowerPoint and mobile cable. My range is unchanged from 7/3/19 when typical was 344 and rated was 430. On 26/5 Typical was 325 (no record of rated kept for this date). Today 342 and 428. Within the limits variability i expect. So, it is just the charge rate that has been affected for me.

6. Mark E

Mark E Member

I haven't supercharged since the last update but note that my 90% charge is consistently at 344-345 typical on my S85 which is the same vintage as yours.

Have you tried to supercharge at another location - ie one that isn't 5km from your home?

7. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

No. I guess i need to find time to go to Broadway and try.

8. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Maybe battery pack temp at time of charging is a metric that needs to be included.

9. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

We conducted another supercharger session yesterday at Eaton:
    Same stall as previous charge sessions
    No other vehicles charging as per previous charge sessions
    Same steady 100km plus drive to site
    Similar outside temps
    No CCS2 cables attached
    Car with less than 30 lifetime supercharger sessions.
    Charging from 20% to 70% took 36 minutes the same as previous post software update session, pre-software update session took 29 minutes 20% to 70%.
    Footnote: the charge rate was lower at 20% but tapered off less at a higher percentage.

10. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

629A3B75-D0DA-4440-9B32-A2EE83258D36.jpeg
    This morning after 1hr drive to St Leonards.
    Charging at 24% started at 82kW, then progressively tapered from 29% down this far at 41%.

11. smithy

smithy Member

Yeah that's pretty poor. Battery would definitely be up to temp after 1 hr drive. Something weird is going on with St Leonards. I'll be there again on the weekend so will see what happens

12. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Went to Broadway today. Charge rate is no different to St Leonards. Spoke to a hire car driver who confirms the rate of charge drop off across the fleet of hire cars following a software “update” last month. Sneaky as I said before.

13. mrpseudonym

mrpseudonym Member

12E363CE-446F-449B-AA01-0909DCE9B1F1.jpeg 13FDDF19-E78A-4F5B-A0CC-D1DEA78569EE.jpeg 3B512137-1EF5-4E51-8056-CDAE1610BE09.jpeg Yes, confirmed its not just st leonards. Charged at Goulburn superchargers today.

Arrived at 20% charging started at 100kwh but quickly decreased. Ended up at 22kwh. Not very Super..

14. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

To be charitable, if Tesla has found that previous higher charging rates were causing too much battery degradation, I'd rather have this reduction in charging rates than shorten the battery life.

15. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I remain suspicious that this is a cost cutting exercise. Slow speeds is a disincentive to use the superchargers. My range has not been reduced contrary to the experience on the USA thread on this site.

16. meowsers

meowsers Member

I highly doubt this is some vast right wing conspiracy to make you avoid chargers. If Tesla really wanted to slow people while charging, they could do so via the software of the chargers themselves.

17. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I am specifically referring to those of us with free supercharging for life. Everyone else gets charged...

18. PJF000

PJF000 Member

19. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I’m speculating, and that’s all we can do, that this recent reduction in Supercharging speeds is a safety measure as well as a way of getting these older batteries to the end of their 8 year warranty without issues.
    As to the Supercharging for life, I’ve always thought that was unsustainable and that Tesla would be forced to wind it back. NRMA have made the same error with the rollout of their fast charging network and will eventually be forced to backdown and charge even their members as the numbers of EV owners rise and the cost become significant.
    However one thing I won’t do is apologies for taking longer at a Supercharger when Tesla have limited my car. This may become an issue at times of congestion at Superchargers during holidays.

• Like x 2
  20. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Agreed, if you need to get to a certain range before leaving it shouldn't matter how long that takes, especially since the rates are reduced.

• Like x 1