Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

?Drop off of rate of charge at Supercharger St Leonards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting variable charging rates at Superchargers now after the software 'update', that reduced my range by 60km. Richmond starts at 80kW/hr then drops to 50, Ovens never charges above 50kW/hr, usually 20! Hopefully, Tesla removes their Supercharger time limit restrictions for affected cars, I could be charging at Ovens, in particular, for 2 hours!
Strangely, the charge rate at Euroa remains unaffected. I get these charge rates irrespective of whether the battery is warm or cold, and even after I've put in the Supercharger as the destination, so, presumably, battery pre-heating has prepared the car for charging

To quote from the class action thanks Capt Ric

• CaptainRic .

Some early Teslas with the old battery chemistry that used to supercharge a lot (200'000+km) began to change their chemistry because of the frequent use of supercharging. This could have caused the fires in some early high mileage Teslas. With the update they reduced charging power and reduced the maximal possible state of charge to prevent the changes in the battery chemistry. Only old Tesla Model S' with the 85kWh pack got this particular update. The Model X isn't affected by this.

I'm getting variable charging rates at Superchargers now after the software 'update', that reduced my range by 60km. Richmond starts at 80kW/hr then drops to 50, Ovens never charges above 50kW/hr, usually 20! Hopefully, Tesla removes their Supercharger time limit restrictions for affected cars, I could be charging at Ovens, in particular, for 2 hours!
Strangely, the charge rate at Euroa remains unaffected. I get these charge rates irrespective of whether the battery is warm or cold, and even after I've put in the Supercharger as the destination, so, presumably, battery pre-heating has prepared the car for charging
A few things:
- by the time you get to Euroa (unless you live there) your battery will be nice and warm
- there is no software-enforced time limit at superchargers if you're still charging
- 80kW means 80kWhr/hr, kW is the rate, kWhr is the amount (sorry, inner pedant cannot be denied)

I remember reading a post once about how funny it is that in the US every winter there are lots of posts about reduced range, then in summer there are lots of posts about increasing range.
There is definitely some changes happening in the background to our charging rates, but I'm wondering if it's combining with the naturally lower charging rates in cold weather?

- by the time you get to Euroa (unless you live there) your battery will be nice and warm
Yes, I know that. Just as warm as it is when I travel from Euroa to the Ovens charger!

- there is no software-enforced time limit at superchargers if you're still charging
Then what are the time limit signs on the Superchargers for?
Today, I did a 100% charge at Ovens, just in case some of the cells in the pack needed balancing. I started charging at 23%, finished 1 hour 20 minutes later. Yes, I'm aware that the charge tapers as it nears a full charge, previous full charges from 20%(I haven't done one for 2 years) took 1 hour. That suggests, that even with reduced battery capacity (and a warm battery) that the average charge rate has been reduced
80kW means 80kWhr/hr, kW is the rate, kWhr is the amount (sorry, inner pedant cannot be denied)
Yes, I understand the difference between capacity and rate.
I added 51kWhr of charge capacity today for a full 100% charge. I started at 23%. Therefore if 77% of the useable capacity is 51kWhr, then the maximum chargeable capacity now has been software limited to 63kWhr

Total radio silence from Tesla. Current updates are not worth the electrons. Adding games and such. Who cares? Hopefully the case in the USA will get us some action. I am planning to keep my car for another 10 years. See no reason to change and dont want self driving. Not going to happen here for that long anyway.

Sadly I think this thread could also be renamed “drop off rate of x at st leonards” where x could be service quality, friendliness of staff, availability of staff, visibility of staff, comfort of waiting area, coffee ... pretty much anything. Don’t know whats happening to the company but they are a shadow of what they were when I bought the car, and I would have thought with the model 3 coming they would be really ratcheting it up a notch

I think that what is happening is that Tesla is becoming a car company
Maybe. My judgement is currently clouded by the fact that I can’t open the door of my car from the outside, and I have had a blindspot warning error and reduced autopilot functionality since January waiting on a camera cable. Not being able to open the door of my car is getting on my nerves, and Tesla (Artarmon) don’t seem that fussed to get it fixed quickly. Will likely bail on Artarmon and try Alexandria.

I dont think Artarmon is long for this world. Once their lease runs out..... So much wasted space now.
I suspect that is the case too. They have moved back office staff to an office block up the road. All sales staff gone, but I wish they would clearly state “Tesla SERVICE” on the exterior signage. It’s embarrassing when I see customers wander in and stand there scratching their head wondering why no one is coming to serve them. I almost feel like doing the sale myself.

I suspect that is the case too. They have moved back office staff to an office block up the road. All sales staff gone, but I wish they would clearly state “Tesla SERVICE” on the exterior signage. It’s embarrassing when I see customers wander in and stand there scratching their head wondering why no one is coming to serve them. I almost feel like doing the sale myself.
We have been- Tesla early-adopters are often in there answering questions for visitors, and giving pretty good free advertising.
And then Tesla took away free Ludicrous upgrade, and made me cranky....

We have been- Tesla early-adopters are often in there answering questions for visitors, and giving pretty good free advertising.
And then Tesla took away free Ludicrous upgrade, and made me cranky....
Yeah me too, on both counts. Have given free advice and cranky about free ludicrous going away. I was just working on the financial controller for approval to pull the trigger when they moved the goal posts! I’ll stick with current car another year or two now.

Reactions: ICUDoc