Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Edinburgh SR+ pickup, minor body issues, impressions and other thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. A brief account of my experience picking up in Edinburgh on Saturday.

There were 5 cars in our group. We got time with a demo car. We were showed about and our apps were set up automagically.
Our cars were outside and were 'big revealed'.

My white SR+ had no paint issues but did have some bodywork issues. Two doors were misaligned and the front bumper had a slight misalignment. I told this to the handover people and they immediately took the car into the service centre and very quickly fixed it. This was a fantastic result as it meant not having to bring the car back or running the risk of not having the car. It must be said that I think 3 out of 5 cars had issues. I showed some misalignments to other people and one guy with a red one had a weird paint dripping smudge on his one mirror and a schuff mark on his 'fender'.

The car itself is fantastic. The SR+ is plenty fast. It gives you that rollercoaster acceleration feeling when you put your foot down. It sits on the road really well and is incredibly responsive.
Navigate on Autopilot (I bought FSD) works well. I used it to drive up to Aviemore on the A9. It's a dreadful road full of roadworks. NOA did everything, including dealing with the roadworks, just fine. The only niggle is that you need to confirm it's lane changes.

I've received the v10 update (yesterday). It now shows more road information and I think it's autopiloting even better. I still need to test Autopark. It definitely can't do roundabouts yet imho.

Charging has been OK. I tried Edinburgh, Perth and Aviemore. I wish it was a bit quicker but in each case my battery was fairly full.
I also tried some public chargers. They seem more hit and miss. A lot of them show "disabled" and on a 50kw charger I only got 24kw with the battery at 31%. But hey, it's free in Scotland so I watched some Netflix on the MCU to pass the time.

Audio is pretty good but not mind blowing. I understand that there are some unused speakers in the car that will get enabled with future updates.

Summon, albeit just backward and forward, has been far more useful than I ever thought it would. A got parked in by a BMW yesterday and instead of trying to squeeze into the door I simply reversed the car out and got in. (My kids thing the car is magical because it can do this)

I have a small issue with the steering wheel squeaking. I've seen youtube videos of people fixing this by sticking wd40 down a hole on the steering wheel. I'd rather let Tesla do this, so I've booked a SC appointment for this week.

The car came with a type 2 charging cable, a mobile charging cables that runs off mains/3pin plug and an emergency/roadside kit. I bought some floor mats from NextdayCarMats. They fit in perfectly and has already caught a lot of sand and leaves.

I'm using a Podpoint at home. I've had some issues but it was fixed 'remotely'. That seems to be doing fine. It was a treat warming the car up this morning before going to work and it just running the heating off the charger.

All in all - I'm glad I didn't spring for the more expensive versions of the car. This one is plenty. Handling is great. NOA is very helpful. Range seems fine with all the superchargers about.

The Edinburgh staff are also incredibly helpful and friendly.

There were 5 cars in our group. We got time with a demo car. We were showed about and our apps were set up automagically.

My white SR+ had no paint issues but did have some bodywork issues. Two doors were misaligned and the front bumper had a slight misalignment. I told this to the handover people and they immediately took the car into the service centre and very quickly fixed it. This was a fantastic result as it meant not having to bring the car back or running the risk of not having the car. It must be said that I think 3 out of 5 cars had issues. I showed some misalignments to other people and one guy with a red one had a weird paint dripping smudge on his one mirror and a schuff mark on his 'fender'.

The car itself is fantastic. The SR+ is plenty fast. It gives you that rollercoaster acceleration feeling when you put your foot down. It sits on the road really well and is incredibly responsive.
Navigate on Autopilot (I bought FSD) works well. I used it to drive up to Aviemore on the A9. It's a dreadful road full of roadworks. NOA did everything, including dealing with the roadworks, just fine. The only niggle is that you need to confirm it's lane changes.

I've received the v10 update (yesterday). It now shows more road information and I think it's autopiloting even better. I still need to test Autopark. It definitely can't do roundabouts yet imho.

Charging has been OK. I tried Edinburgh, Perth and Aviemore. I wish it was a bit quicker but in each case my battery was fairly full.
I also tried some public chargers. They seem more hit and miss. A lot of them show "disabled" and on a 50kw charger I only got 24kw with the battery at 31%. But hey, it's free in Scotland so I watched some Netflix on the MCU to pass the time.

Audio is pretty good but not mind blowing. I understand that there are some unused speakers in the car that will get enabled with future updates.

Summon, albeit just backward and forward, has been far more useful than I ever thought it would. A got parked in by a BMW yesterday and instead of trying to squeeze into the door I simply reversed the car out and got in. (My kids thing the car is magical because it can do this)

I have a small issue with the steering wheel squeaking. I've seen youtube videos of people fixing this by sticking wd40 down a hole on the steering wheel. I'd rather let Tesla do this, so I've booked a SC appointment for this week.

The car came with a type 2 charging cable, a mobile charging cables that runs off mains/3pin plug and an emergency/roadside kit. I bought some floor mats from NextdayCarMats. They fit in perfectly and has already caught a lot of sand and leaves.

I'm using a Podpoint at home. I've had some issues but it was fixed 'remotely'. That seems to be doing fine. It was a treat warming the car up this morning before going to work and it just running the heating off the charger.

All in all - I'm glad I didn't spring for the more expensive versions of the car. This one is plenty. Handling is great. NOA is very helpful. Range seems fine with all the superchargers about.

Great write up. Thanks for this!

I am not a car buff and worry that I would miss subtle misalignment issues myself - did you go in prepared in some way (as in did you see a good youtube video or something that helped you keep an eye out for issues) or was it just really obvious to your eyes?

A nice account of your collection. Enjoy your car!

I wish it was a bit quicker

Were you getting 100-ish kW? if not then I think that you could (not entirely sure what the limit for SR+ is though, might be a bit less than that)

For Maximum Supercharge rate:
  • Not paired
  • Arrive above 10% SOC (but as low as possible)
  • Do not charge above 70% - or expect the top-end to be slow as it tapers, above 80% quite slow, above 90% very slow
  • Choose a Supercharger that has the new higher power rating (I think this is Moot for an SR+)
You would probably charge faster at e.g. Ionity CCS than Supercharger V2 :)

a mobile charging cables that runs off mains/3pin plug

That should have a Blue (tubular shaped) "Commando adaptor" too?

I am not a car buff and worry that I would miss subtle misalignment issues myself - did you go in prepared in some way (as in did you see a good youtube video or something that helped you keep an eye out for issues) or was it just really obvious to your eyes?

i know nothing about car bodies or anything like it. all i did was run my finger on the door window sill and made sure it was straight. i compared my doors to the cars around me and also compared the left and right side of my car. i took a friend with me who helped with spotting things that looked not so straight

Were you getting 100-ish kW? if not then I think that you could (not entirely sure what the limit for SR+ is though, might be a bit less than that)

For Maximum Supercharge rate:
  • Not paired
  • Arrive above 10% SOC (but as low as possible)
  • Do not charge above 70% - or expect the top-end to be slow as it tapers, above 80% quite slow, above 90% very slow
  • Choose a Supercharger that has the new higher power rating (I think this is Moot for an SR+)
You would probably charge faster at e.g. Ionity CCS than Supercharger V2 :)

That should have a Blue (tubular shaped) "Commando adaptor" too?

yes i have the commando adapter.

yeah lower battery charged at 94kw
70% upwards like 30-50kw.

not upset about it, just a bit surprised

just a bit surprised

Gotcha. It is what it is I suppose, and just takes getting used to. I charge about 10% of my total miles at Supercharger and it takes pretty much exactly the same time as filling the ICE up used to, averaged over a year - ICE was 5 - 10 minutes each time, and Supercharger is 20-30 minutes, but less frequently.

Spare a moment for the nightmare that is non-Tesla people charging at 3rd party chargers (that alone will mean I wouldn't consider a non-Tesla until that problem has completely gone away, but of course for anyone who never goes out-of-range that's not a factor)

Reactions: drewpost and Roy W.
Gotcha. It is what it is I suppose, and just takes getting used to. I charge about 10% of my total miles at Supercharger and it takes pretty much exactly the same time as filling the ICE up used to, averaged over a year - ICE was 5 - 10 minutes each time, and Supercharger is 20-30 minutes, but less frequently.

Spare a moment for the nightmare that is non-Tesla people charging at 3rd party chargers (that alone will mean I wouldn't consider a non-Tesla until that problem has completely gone away, but of course for anyone who never goes out-of-range that's not a factor)

I really enjoy the charging experience. It's very relaxing. I get to sit and read or watch something in quiet. For the most part I'll just wake up to a charged car every day anyway.

I feel for public charging people. Spoke to a guy with a Leaf who was charging at a public station. He says they have to stop with the Leaf frequently because the motorway part of their journey eats up the miles. So they stop and top up 20 miles at a time. He says it's horrendous and he has also now placed a Model 3 reservation.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
maybe it helped that i didn’t touch the car or open it until they had fixed all the bodywork issues. ie no fix no sale

or maybe the edinburgh staff are just really helpful. i’ll go with that

I think Heathrow is a lot less caring in general. I had a detailer have a look and that bumper alignment couldn't be fixed there and then... Or maybe they don't have capacity.

I'm still happy and it will probably get fixed. I could not afford to refuse delivery.

Reactions: Rooster6655
maybe they don't have capacity

Shifting too many cars to be able to do a good job I reckon. Fine if they come off the transporter "perfect", but if not then what (if insufficient resource to fix there-and-then).Incentives them to make them perfect, but realistically even if they left the factory perfect they may not survive the Dover-to-SC journey

Its a snag with their rate of growth, and need for cash to stave off the Shorts ... I don't have any answers, good job the car is universally likely by buyers though.

Shifting too many cars to be able to do a good job I reckon. Fine if they come off the transporter "perfect", but if not then what (if insufficient resource to fix there-and-then).Incentives them to make them perfect, but realistically even if they left the factory perfect they may not survive the Dover-to-SC journey

Its a snag with their rate of growth, and need for cash to stave off the Shorts ... I don't have any answers, good job the car is universally likely by buyers though.

Yep that about sums up their situation especially at Heathrow

Reactions: WannabeOwner

Add to that I demo'd the car to my brother in law who ordered a Volvo XC60 this week, he's now desperately looking into cancelling his order in favour of a 3.
good review
can i ask if you SR+ has fitted fog lamps?

Any idea what NoA brings over just autopilot going up the A9? I'm up and down there pretty often, and will be doing it next week but think that just autopilot will do everything other than overtaking?

Can't wait to unleash the demons of my right foot on the single carriageways as needed. The speed makes blips past single cars in a queue one at a time so much easier, as long as there is a stopping space for you to pull back into.

Any idea what NoA brings over just autopilot going up the A9? I'm up and down there pretty often, and will be doing it next week but think that just autopilot will do everything other than overtaking?

Can't wait to unleash the demons of my right foot on the single carriageways as needed. The speed makes blips past single cars in a queue one at a time so much easier, as long as there is a stopping space for you to pull back into.

with the benefit of more driving time now i think for the a9 autosteer and TACC will be fairly equivalent to NoA.
I say that as I drove to Edinburgh today and the car was very keen to change lanes and also exited from the m90 to a90 on its own.
That’s a lot more than it did on the a9.