Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this, as I mentioned upthread quite a ways, back in the Twitter journalism attack era. It would be ideal if he weren't doing this. Elon is in a weird position - the fame of a movie star or high profile politician with the responsibilities of a bunch of CEOs, and wealth to best all of them. That's got to be tough to juggle. His recent public persona is not a good look in my opinion, but unfortunately it's what it is. We can wish what we want of the guy, but he does have a ton of redeeming qualities that have resulted in things that are unlikely to have existed without him being around.

Really what I wanted to delve into was the weed thing. This seems to be what hangs a lot of people up about the Rogan interview. I'll preface by saying I have no problem with weed, but I'm by no means a stoner. Those who have met me in person can probably tell it's a quick trip to paranoia for my hyper self. :)

The answer I was looking for is that the public has an outdated view on cannabis, and therefore as a public figure he might be best to avoid showcasing it. I can agree with that. I cannot agree with people here overlooking the drinking and focusing on cannabis. Statistically speaking, alcohol has significantly worse health outcomes than cannabis, at least according to all the data we have available today. So to focus on it as if he's harming himself or setting a bad example, but to overlook alcohol consumption is hypocritical, or at a minimum outdated. I do believe, based on my personal research and watching the trend, that cannabis consumption is going to become much more normal and we'll all have to discuss it with our kids. Elon may be pushing the societal acceptance curve this early in the game, though.

I was kind of fishing, and I apologize. I should have just come out and said all this straight away.

This sums up my feelings on the matter perfectly. It's hard for me to criticize Elon, I really like the guy, and am Tesla Fanboy #1, but he has made a decision to be very public about his personal life and drug use at a time that is critical for him to succeed, and there reason for my concern is what we lose if Elon is forced out of a CEO position.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Elon may be pushing the societal acceptance curve this early in the game, though.

It's not just social acceptance, but it's all the antiquated rules that he has to follow whether he likes it or not.

He's not just the CEO of Tesla, but of SpaceX as well. So there are people looking into whether he broke any rules the Air Force had. Note: technically the Air Force wasn't looking until someone told them to go look.

Then there is the rules Tesla has themselves, and he may have broken those rules.

Finally there are Federal laws where it's illegal even though it's legal in California.

Quite frank Elon did something that seemed pretty trivial at the time like the "funding secured" tweet without realizing how damaging it would be.

Last edited:
But, it's really hard for me to respect the guy when I read op-eds like this one that was supposedly written by someone in upper management.

I Am Part of the Resistance Inside Tesla

It mostly serves to reinforce my belief that Tesla has some truly great people, but Elon is sabotaging their efforts.
I'm quite certain that's satire, mimicking the NYT Editorial from the Senior Trump Administration Official: Opinion | I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and S4WRXTTCS
I'm quite certain that's satire, mimicking the NYT Editorial from the Senior Trump Administration Official: Opinion | I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

Thanks for pointing that out.

It even says that it's satire, but I missed that when I originally read it. But, that's no excuse because it should have been obvious at this gem.

"Astute observers have noted, though, that the rest of the company is operating on another track, one where loyal employees work overtime—often at their own homes—to complete QC on vehicles that left Fremont without it. If workers are injured in their own homes or garages, Tesla Rangers will often come to the rescue.

Anyways I removed it.

Last edited:
There goes his security clearance?
What's interesting about that is the Air Force wasn't even looking into it until asked.

"It seems that the initial reports surfaced simply because Gasparino had asked the office about it in the first place, and the Air Force suggested it would follow up with the inquiry. The story grew from there, and now it appears the Air Force is going to spend its weekend like the rest of us: overthinking a billionaire taking one weak puff from a joint."

The Air Force is determining ‘the appropriate process’ for Elon Musk smoking pot

Reactions: Mr X
What am I missing?

Everything. But we’ll start with the most obvious; you’re being manipulated. Yes. You are. You’re so caught up in the headlines and the faux outrage, you can’t think straight. But don’t feel bad; there are a lot of people in that boat with you. Fortunately, there are enough of us standing on shore that your sinking boat won’t prevent the world from continuing.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark and GreenT
I agree with this, as I mentioned upthread quite a ways, back in the Twitter journalism attack era. It would be ideal if he weren't doing this. Elon is in a weird position - the fame of a movie star or high profile politician with the responsibilities of a bunch of CEOs, and wealth to best all of them. That's got to be tough to juggle. His recent public persona is not a good look in my opinion, but unfortunately it's what it is. We can wish what we want of the guy, but he does have a ton of redeeming qualities that have resulted in things that are unlikely to have existed without him being around.

Really what I wanted to delve into was the weed thing. This seems to be what hangs a lot of people up about the Rogan interview. I'll preface by saying I have no problem with weed, but I'm by no means a stoner. Those who have met me in person can probably tell it's a quick trip to paranoia for my hyper self. :)

The answer I was looking for is that the public has an outdated view on cannabis, and therefore as a public figure he might be best to avoid showcasing it. I can agree with that. I cannot agree with people here overlooking the drinking and focusing on cannabis. Statistically speaking, alcohol has significantly worse health outcomes than cannabis, at least according to all the data we have available today. So to focus on it as if he's harming himself or setting a bad example, but to overlook alcohol consumption is hypocritical, or at a minimum outdated. I do believe, based on my personal research and watching the trend, that cannabis consumption is going to become much more normal and we'll all have to discuss it with our kids. Elon may be pushing the societal acceptance curve this early in the game, though.

I was kind of fishing, and I apologize. I should have just come out and said all this straight away.

The public has an outdated view on a lot of things like that EVs aren’t viable and CEO’s need to be boring starched shirts with no personality or humanness, that the media is a trusted place to get information, and that investing in TSLA after being told don’t do it if you’re risk adverse, volatility adverse or not in for the long term, somehow absolves you from being responsible for the decision to invest simply because it’s not going your way in the moment; so let’s blame the guy that got us here in the first place. Let’s just crap where we eat, eh?

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark and GreenT
This sums up my feelings on the matter perfectly. It's hard for me to criticize Elon, I really like the guy, and am Tesla Fanboy #1, but he has made a decision to be very public about his personal life and drug use at a time that is critical for him to succeed, and there reason for my concern is what we lose if Elon is forced out of a CEO position.

You’ll be forced to cancel your reservation.

Lots of folks are OK with weed but doing it openly in public as a business leader is not yet accepted in the business world. Kind of crazy for him to do it when you know people are after you in the business world. I understand why he did it but some PR is bad.

Why exactly do you think he did? Because to me it just looked like a curiosity thing; ‘Hmmm....ok, I’ll give it a go. Meh! Doesn’t do a thing for me. Next.’

Oh, the horror!!!!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: Grendal and GreenT
It's not just social acceptance, but it's all the antiquated rules that he has to follow whether he likes it or not.

He's not just the CEO of Tesla, but of SpaceX as well. So there are people looking into whether he broke any rules the Air Force had. Note: technically the Air Force wasn't looking until someone told them to go look.

Then there is the rules Tesla has themselves, and he may have broken those rules.

Finally there are Federal laws where it's illegal even though it's legal in California.

Quite frank Elon did something that seemed pretty trivial at the time like the "funding secured" tweet without realizing how damaging it would be.

You’re being scammed by the media too. And archaic thought processes. Do you also still think EVs are nothing more than glorified golf carts that you can only go two miles at 6mph and take four days to recharge?

News flash for everyone: Elon doesn’t always play by the rules. Surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.