Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tweet was accurate:

Name any Union plant where the employees get stock options as part of their union negotiated contract. It was not a threat, it was reality.

Elon Musk on Twitter
View attachment 460987

"US fought War of Independence to get rid of a 2 class system"

Ahem, the leading figures were wealthy slave owners who didn't want to pay taxes without having their say?

• Disagree
Reactions: Ulmo
Under the risk factors in Tesla's public filing, the risks to employees join a union are 1) higher employee costs, 2) work stoppages, and 3) negative perception of employee treatment.

- "Our business may be adversely affected by any disruptions caused by union activities. It is not uncommon for employees of certain trades at companies such as us to belong to a union, which can result in higher employee costs and increased risk of work stoppages."

- "We cannot predict the timing or outcome of the NLRB’s decisions on such existing matters, which we dispute and continue to defend vigorously. Any unfavorable outcome for Tesla may have a negative impact on the perception of Tesla’s treatment of our employees."

- Source: TSLA 10Q Quarterly Report 2019-06-30 | Quick10K

"US fought War of Independence to get rid of a 2 class system"

Ahem, the leading figures were wealthy slave owners who didn't want to pay taxes without having their say?

The US has never been one monolithic culture. There were founding fathers who wanted a classless society and there were those who just wanted England out of the way.

Reactions: Ulmo
Not sure what was the point of Unsworth's legal action asking about AIG. Would Musk seriously try to not pay a legal judgement by claiming he can't mortgage or sell his stock? No, he wouldn't, nor would any court believe that.

He's trying to claim poverty to reduce the fine he is going to get hit with.

I'm not an expert but the US system allows for punitive damages, i.e. an amount that will hurt the loser as punishment for what they did. So Musk is claiming that it won't take much to hurt him because he doesn't have much cash.

Unsworth's legal team are hedging their bets. If the court doesn't order Musk to sell/mortgage some stock it might order his insurer to pay out instead. They have to pursue all possible avenues for extracting cash from him.

Countdown for Elon Musk on Twitter "Going offline for a few days" posted 20191017T1551-07, about 10 hours ago: very approximately 38 hours left for a ballpark general idea of "a few". Note that "a few" could be 5 days or 3 or whatever. One theory at the investment forum is he's saving talk for the Oct. 23 quarterly Tesla talk, which is around 6 days from his offline start.

Yes, I'm uber-bored, so sometimes I review his twitter for tech intrigue. I have other sources, too, but his are concise and interesting, and I don't have the list of usual scientists I follow any more.

I'm not an expert but the US system allows for punitive damages, i.e. an amount that will hurt the loser as punishment for what they did. So Musk is claiming that it won't take much to hurt him because he doesn't have much cash.

Unsworth's legal team are hedging their bets. If the court doesn't order Musk to sell/mortgage some stock it might order his insurer to pay out instead. They have to pursue all possible avenues for extracting cash from him.
What case is this regarding? All the attacks others have been doing against Tesla?

No the one where he called that guy a paedophile several times. Turns out he's not a paedophile and libel is expensive.
Thank you for explaining that! Greatly appreciated.

It's legit to assume those foreign to that area (Thailand, in this example) that are going to that area are up to no good. It's pretty much as certain as the rumors that Weinstein was up to no good, and he would sue people for libel all the time. It's not as libelous to claim they're likely doing no good as to claim someone in a better area or of better reputation is up to no good. Someone foreign to Thailand in Thailand has a lot to prove just by being there. Sorry, but it's just a fact. It's the same as Hollywood actors having a lot to prove that they aren't psychopaths or deviants, since pretty much 99.99% of them are. I'm with Elon on this one. Tweets are short so aren't expected to be 100% qualified like normal speech. People visiting Thailand have a lot more to explain as a baseline condition than average people not visiting Thailand.

Anyway, on the countdown: 21 hours since the "offline for a few days" post.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matias

It's legit to assume those foreign to that area (Thailand, in this example) that are going to that area are up to no good. It's pretty much as certain as the rumors that Weinstein was up to no good, and he would sue people for libel all the time. It's not as libelous to claim they're likely doing no good as to claim someone in a better area or of better reputation is up to no good. Someone foreign to Thailand in Thailand has a lot to prove just by being there. Sorry, but it's just a fact. It's the same as Hollywood actors having a lot to prove that they aren't psychopaths or deviants, since pretty much 99.99% of them are. I'm with Elon on this one. Tweets are short so aren't expected to be 100% qualified like normal speech. People visiting Thailand have a lot more to explain as a baseline condition than average people not visiting Thailand.

That's total BS. Typical close-minded American viewpoint.

Plenty of foreigners live in Thailand, I know some myself, none of them are pedos or rapists.

Lot of people also retire there since there is a low cost of living.

Being the devil's advocate here, wouldn't Unsworth have to show what he claims is his damages?
Otherwise what is his claim? Was his character worthiness sullied? Has his life changed because he now has a label on his personia?
How does the title of being called a pedo affect his standing in the neighborhood.
In other words, where has his character been diminished by calling his character into witness?
Otherwise anybody can sue anybody as a form of monetary blackmail, especially if the person you are suing has more money than you

That's total BS. Typical close-minded American viewpoint.

Plenty of foreigners live in Thailand, I know some myself, none of them are pedos or rapists.

Lot of people also retire there since there is a low cost of living.
I've had two friends go recently. One was a single male in his 40s who was going to attend one of his best friend's weddings. Another was a family of four who did a trip through Thailand and Laos. Neither of them were there for nefarious reasons. Both of them raved about the culture and the food.

I know there's a stigma attached to Thailand, but generalizing it to anyone visiting there is nuts. It would be almost as crazy as claiming that 99.99% of Hollywood actors are psychopaths or deviants.

Being the devil's advocate here, wouldn't Unsworth have to show what he claims is his damages?

In the UK, yes. In the UK you can only claim back your costs. But in the US they have punitive damages too. And if you are very rich, like Musk is, it takes a very big fine to punish you.

Musk is worth something like $35bn. What kind of fine will hurt him? That's what they are trying to discover right now, what assets and what insurance he has so they can calibrate the fine to be painful.

He really is muppet. He's already pissed away $40M with a single tweet and now he's going to lose even more money because he couldn't resist calling some random guy a paedophile when he trashed his submarine idea.

Reactions: Matias
In the UK, yes. In the UK you can only claim back your costs. But in the US they have punitive damages too. And if you are very rich, like Musk is, it takes a very big fine to punish you.

Musk is worth something like $35bn. What kind of fine will hurt him? That's what they are trying to discover right now, what assets and what insurance he has so they can calibrate the fine to be painful.

He really is muppet. He's already pissed away $40M with a single tweet and now he's going to lose even more money because he couldn't resist calling some random guy a paedophile when he trashed his submarine idea.
Still yet, it will come down to the basics that it you have money, you have lost a bunch of freedoms.
If your are conceived as being rich, you can no longer express your displeasure as the common individual does.
Case in point, on an average day, at ANY sports arena or bar, you will hear the same vugular terms but nobody sues because they kinda see each other as equals. But,, as soon as someone sees the other guy as a easy mark, Call My Lawyer!! You hurt my feelings!
I still say Unsworth is an opportunist looking for money and Musk is a putts.
The only one who makes out here is the lawyer and those with an axe to grind by sticking it to the rich,, anybody else is a pollyanna - crybaby.

Did you miss the filing attachments that allegedly show a conman convinced Musk that he was a Private Investigator and fed Elon false negative info on the plaintiff?

So you’re saying, that it is OK to call someone a pedophile, if he is western and goes to Thailand? Incredible bullsh*it.

Status
Not open for further replies.