Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn't care.

But given that you'll want to check the VIN, that the VIN will tell you anything major, and that the badge just tells you that the car has that badge on it, then the badge really isn't necessary unless you are the kind of sad-case who uses their car as a psychological prop.
How many people can really be expected to speak fluent "VIN"?

Having shopped for used Teslas, I can assure you that it is sometimes difficult to zero in on the cars one really wants to consider since listing of specs can be all over the place. Knowing the battery size is helpful in making the first cut, assuming that it is a primary criterion. I wonder if one can tell from the door jamb plaque?

I recall that an AWD test model was spotted with red calipers awhile back at a track.
Actually, the 3 in the video might just be the one from the reveal. This pic is from 2 years ago:
9629bkj.jpg

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
..........Notably, it may mean that they are essentially reaching the end of the North American reservations that want "just" LR..............

I reserved May of 2016 and have not been invited to configure yet. I suspect a large number of people who have been invited to configure have not decided what they will do. But certainly AWD and P will push a large number of people into configuring.

See Franz's current LR Model 3 for a possible preview of what the performance model might look like.
  • Optional 20" sport wheels in Sonic Carbon finish
  • Optional carbon fiber spoiler (a la Model S P100D)
  • Red brake calipers with larger diameter front rotors (355mm vs current 320mm), this was leaked in an early Jan version of the owner's manual before it was removed.
Also, here's my best guess on lineup specs... we'll see if I'm anywhere close by next weekend:
View attachment 300498
What?? Why would the range of performance version be more than non-P version? AWD sure will have more range, and I am guessing 15 miles more, but the P version will around 280 miles range.

See Franz's current LR Model 3 for a possible preview of what the performance model might look like.
  • Optional 20" sport wheels in Sonic Carbon finish
  • Optional carbon fiber spoiler (a la Model S P100D)
  • Red brake calipers with larger diameter front rotors (355mm vs current 320mm), this was leaked in an early Jan version of the owner's manual before it was removed.
Also, here's my best guess on lineup specs... we'll see if I'm anywhere close by next weekend:
View attachment 300498
i pretty much agree with your pricing and is what I am expecting +/- a few thousand. I think your 0-60 times are bit optimistic though.

Wait, what?

A D version without air suspension will require new front steel spring suspension. Then when the air suspension comes out, that would be a third suspension option. That makes no sense for a car that's mean to be easy to produce. Does anybody else recall when a tweet mentioned that D and air would be coupled? Now it looks like they will be a year UNcoupled.

Poop. But hey, if I can at least get D in a reasonable time, I'll be happy. I just don't want to be also forced into P....

• Disagree
Reactions: loganthefirst
What?? Why would the range of performance version be more than non-P version? AWD sure will have more range, and I am guessing 15 miles more, but the P version will around 280 miles range.

Nope. It will still be nearish to the RWD 310 miles. Remember, the front motor is the smaller one AND the one that increases the range at highway speeds.

The 3PD will have 310-315.

The 3D will be 320-330.

Reactions: cizUK and FlyNavy01
Nope. It will still be nearish to the RWD 310 miles. Remember, the front motor is the smaller one AND the one that increases the range at highway speeds.

The 3PD will have 310-315.

The 3D will be 320-330.

We don't know that the dual motor version of the 3 will use different motors for front and rear. From a simplicity standpoint it might make sense to just use the same motors for the front and rear axles.

We don't know that the dual motor version of the 3 will use different motors for front and rear. From a simplicity standpoint it might make sense to just use the same motors for the front and rear axles.

Even so, dual motor versions have always come in higher than the RWD counterparts. Even the P, and especially so if the front motor is also a permanent magnet.

Edit: so far, it's only happened on the 85. The RWD had more range than the P D, but the P had a bigger rear motor.

If they use the same motors for front and rear, there is no reason that performance mode can't just be a software switch. You may be able to turn it on and off, and just drive around in "range mode".

Last edited:
9E121507-8FB5-481F-9F00-BD562E5AF7EF.jpeg
I configured on 4/18. Still waiting for my VIN. Upon my daily (hourly) check to see any updates, I noticed a new note on my account info. Unfortunately still no VIN but seeing this is interesting with Elon’s news today. Maybe those asking if you’ve configured but want to switch to AWD or P can. Maybe only if you haven’t received your VIN like I have. Just speculating. I didn’t click on the “Edit Design” button to see where it goes, because I don’t think I want to make changes. As much as I’d like the AWD, I’d probably have to wait a few more months at this point, assuming they produce AWD with similar prioritizing as they have been. And receiving the full tax credit is pretty important for me. So pretty sure I’ll keep current design & hopefully see a VIN in the next few days.

We can reverse engineer the prices based on the gross margin needed to burn shorts at the next q3 con call.

Everyone is underestimating the P cost. It’s going to be substantial. Thinking 15-20k.

It’s all premium and all profit for Tesla not the cost of the extra parts. We’ve seen this with the S and X and Elon himself said it’s a luxury that is price inelastic.

Every 70K Model 3 made will be sold.

How much does it cost to shave 1 second off any car - a lot.

Wonder if there is gonna be some bling that will differentiate the AWD/Performance model from the LR commoner vehicles. There's gotta be something that will show show off that I got the more fancy AWD/Perf model..

*twitch*

I really, really hope not.

No offense.

Tesla doesn't care.

But given that you'll want to check the VIN, that the VIN will tell you anything major, and that the badge just tells you that the car has that badge on it, then the badge really isn't necessary unless you are the kind of sad-case who uses their car as a psychological prop.

Well said.

I don’t consider the purchase of used cars based upon what plastic numbers or letters have been added to the rear or sides of the car, nor based upon the color of the calipers. I check the VIN and so forth, as any sensible person would.

There’s another contingent that de-badges their cars, sometimes for reasons almost as psychologically suspect as for those in support of clutter/bling.

I don’t need to know that your truck, which has probably never touched a muddy field or track, has an off-road or racing package, or the brand of diesel engine festooned upon the fenders.

Even the P, D, and chrome underline are somewhat superfluous. What if I don’t want to advertise any of that? See de-badging above. What if I do? Can I get it 3x bigger for another $100? Where does it end?

The worst have to be those personalized plates or frames that say exactly what the make/model of the vehicle already is.

For the love of all things unblingful (sure it’s a word) Make It Stop!!!!! (!!!!)

Harrumph.

/goml

Look again, I didn't include LR AWD range in the chart. I expect LR AWD to be ~330-335 miles range and P AWD to be ~320-325 miles.
This lines up with similar percentage increases in all Tesla's built to date.

Obviously this could be way off if the engineers choose a different approach for the Model 3, like a combo of PM and induction motors, etc. However, using the principle of Occam's Razor, I think they we can hypothesize a similar dual motor setup as what's currently in the Model S/X. We will know shortly.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
i pretty much agree with your pricing and is what I am expecting +/- a few thousand. I think your 0-60 times are bit optimistic though.

Could very well be. I subtracted 0.3 seconds off Tesla's advertised numbers for the LR and SR because that's what most people/publications have all been achieving in real world testing (with 1ft rollout).

Elon has an affinity for the McLaren F1, and it's what he used as a benchmark for the original P85D 0-60 times. That's partly where I got the 3.1 second for the P model (maybe Tesla advertises it as 3.5?). Plus, that would comfortably put it below the BMW M3 and Mercedes C63 AMG times of 3.9 seconds, while still not getting near P100D territory.

Last edited: