Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
False alarm. ;) I just tried it:

- opened a rear window, lowered a back seat, and locked the car
- turned off Bluetooth on my phone
- reached in with a broomstick through the open window and pushed the emergency release (which, BTW, would probably be very difficult to do through the small triangle window due to the angle)

Result: the alarm went off as you'd expect. I suspect the previous poster had a registered phone nearby when he tried.

False alarm. ;) I just tried it:

- opened a rear window and locked the car
- turned off Bluetooth on my phone
- reached in with a broomstick and pushed the emergency release (which, BTW, would probably be very difficult to do through the small triangle window due to the angle)

Result: the alarm went off as you'd expect. I suspect the previous poster had a registered phone nearby when he tried.
As I suspected. Thanks for checking.

Seemed to me that they'd have to go out of their way to have it NOT alarm in that situation!

Saw this posting in another forum today:
=========================================================================================

Car Burglarized in Broad Daylight

Today, at 1:50 PM—while charging at Mountain View Tesla Supercharger—I watched someone wearing a black jacket get out of a white KIA Forte, and break into the rear quarter window of someone’s Buick Enclave (parked at the Computer History Museum). It happened in broad daylight, within a 30-second period. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a clear read out of the perpetrator’s license plate. However, I believe it ended in “MM54”. The thieves entered from Shoreline Blvd., and exited via La Avenida St.—presumably for a quick get-away onto US 101. I know that the Century Cinema has been a hotspot for sometime, but the increased crime seems to be spreading across the street... so be careful when visiting the shops in that area! It’s ridiculous that The Computer History museum does not have any camera in their parking lot! You’d think they’d be more concerned about security, especially with all those historic computers behind their own windows. But when I spoke with a lady inside, she just shrugged her shoulders when I asked if they had cameras or were doing anything to monitor the crime. I already sent all my photos and dashcam footage to MVPD, but thought I’d also share the incident here. Remember to keep all your possessions out of sight when parked!

5190151f52f88a6ca3cb8475b53df988.jpeg.max800.jpg

77a0d5c2297064c537358077058f1c6e.jpeg.max800.jpg

the OP just joined today and doesn't know what he's talking about.

To test this I actually got into the trunk, and the phone was walked away by another person until the car auto-locked itself, curbed the mirrors etc. After waiting in locked state for ~10 seconds I opened the trunk and got out without an alarm. It could be possible that it was sensing the phone from 100m even after locking.

How about a clear decal, like those old bullet hole ones, that would go over those rear windows and make it look like the window was already trashed?

Or leave the car in Dog Mode and Sentry mode?
Add an inflatable dog? Seats down, a grate and a K9 decal on the doors?

Sorry, yes I know, it's not funny when it happens.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BluestarE3
To test this I actually got into the trunk, and the phone was walked away by another person until the car auto-locked itself, curbed the mirrors etc. After waiting in locked state for ~10 seconds I opened the trunk and got out without an alarm. It could be possible that it was sensing the phone from 100m even after locking.
You didn't wait long enough. Car has to be locked and phone-key out of range for 1 minute before alarm is armed.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
planning a trip to monterey, bay area, then sonoma and back to socal in May.

After reading all of the posts on this thread I'm very nervous about taking my 3 up there...

Going to have two baby car seats installed in the back...so if there are 'sensible' thieves out and about who see that they wont be able to open the trunk easily, are my windows safe?!? wishful thinking i guess :D

i'll crack my windows, not get tint before then, and leave my trunk open (though that last part may be more inviting for people needing to take a crap or piss into the bottom trunk compartment...)

i'll crack my windows, not get tint before then, and leave my trunk open (though that last part may be more inviting for people needing to take a crap or piss into the bottom trunk compartment...)
I have to assume you're kidding. I haven't heard of anybody leaving the trunk open!

You either live your life or worry constantly. Stuff happens. Often it doesn't. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Blah, blah, blah.

The smash-and-grab threat all around me is huge. I still enjoy using the car, and don't plan to start using a crappy car just to "protect" myself from the scumbags.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
@T3SMA, I dunno, there's no question that break-ins occur, and certain areas are especially prone to them, but I think that some people are out to make it sound worse than it is - political agenda. I live in the Bay Area and I've only had a couple over the last 15 years, of which one was in a Las Vegas parking garage, next to a freeway on-ramp.

Of course if you drive a car like a Tesla, with a reputation as being luxury & expensive, you can expect resentment vandalism from miserable people who have nothing but miserable lives. When car radio theft was the rage, I remember a guy in NYC who left a sign on the dash that said "no radio". He returned to his car to find a window smashed and a note that said "get one". Real thieves might also plausibly expect you to own (other) expensive things.

Leaving the car open is IMHO over the top, and insurance can deny your claim. Bored kids will try doors and trunk, and if locked they move on. Some obvious suggestions that might improve the odds:

In an urban setting, try to park in well-lit and traveled areas with security, cameras.
Try not to park right next to a routine escape route for pros, like a freeway entrance.
Don't make your car too flashy, let it get dusty. IMHO child seats help you seem dorkier ;-)
- Some city people with very expensive bicycles use "trash kits" to make them look like junk ;-)
Don't leave anything out that attracts interest, say a fresh shopping bag. Put it in the trunk well.
- Maybe the Frunk is a safer place to leave valuables. Dunno. Read up on that, who knows.
If you have a handicap plaque, hide it unless you're using it, 'cause it spells "meds on board".
And USE SENTRY MODE whenever unsure. It burns about a mile of range per hour of use.

Enjoy your trip. Northern California hasn't entirely gone to hell, not even close.

@T3SMA, I dunno, there's no question that break-ins occur, and certain areas are especially prone to them, but I think that some people are out to make it sound worse than it is - political agenda.
Except for the folks who say "CA sucks" there's nobody out to make this sound worse than it is. The reality is plenty bad enough. What's happened specifically to you is not an indication of the actual problem. Though three in 15 year still sucks (seeing as I've had NONE in 40 years, followed by one a month after Tesla purchase) three in 15 is still pretty damn bad.

In an urban setting, try to park in well-lit and traveled areas with security, cameras.
Try not to park right next to a routine escape route for pros, like a freeway entrance.
Don't make your car too flashy, let it get dusty. IMHO child seats help you seem dorkier ;-)
- Some city people with very expensive bicycles use "trash kits" to make them look like junk ;-)
Don't leave anything out that attracts interest, say a fresh shopping bag. Put it in the trunk well.
- Maybe the Frunk is a safer place to leave valuables. Dunno. Read up on that, who knows.
If you have a handicap plaque, hide it unless you're using it, 'cause it spells "meds on board".
And USE SENTRY MODE whenever unsure. It burns about a mile of range per hour of use.

You missed a few! Here's the complete list painstakingly gleaned from this thread:
  1. California/SF Bay Area/SF sucks. Live somewhere else.
  2. This only happens in the Bay Area.
  3. This happens everywhere.
  4. Don’t park anywhere but in a secure location.
  5. Don’t park in a bad part of town.
  6. Don’t park in a good part of town.
  7. Don’t park.
  8. Always valet park.
  9. This isn’t only happening to Teslas.
  10. It is only because you drive a Tesla.
  11. This is no big deal. Suck it up and pay to play.
  12. Decrease your comprehensive deductible.
  13. This is a horrible design flaw that Tesla needs to fix.
  14. This isn’t Tesla’s fault.
  15. Take all your cargo with you when you park.
  16. Never use the trunk for cargo.
  17. Don’t leave anything in the car.
  18. Put all your cargo in the subtrunk/frunk.
  19. Leave the windows down.
  20. Leave the car unlocked.
  21. Don’t tint the back glass.
  22. Tint the back glass.
  23. Use security film on all glass.
  24. Leave both rear seat-backs down.
  25. Lock the rear seat-backs up.
  26. A visible seat lock will inspire a break-in.
  27. A visible seat lock will deter a break-in.
  28. Locking the seat release is so easy to defeat with ________.
  29. Because the glass will still be smashed, hidden locks are no use.
  30. Install a baby seat.
  31. Install two baby seats.
  32. Install three baby seats.
  33. The only solution is __________.
  34. A thief will never/always __________.
  35. That’s not how thieves think/this is how thieves think.
  36. There’s nothing that will stop a thief.
  37. The problem is liberals.
  38. The problem is that criminals have more rights than property owners.
  39. Use a gun.
  40. Booby-trap everything.
  41. Replace quarter window with something unbreakable.
  42. Don’t strengthen the quarter window, as then the door glass or trunk lid will be broken.
  43. All car alarms are useless.
  44. Be sure to use Sentry Mode.
  45. Use an aftermarket camera.
  46. Cameras are useless.
  47. The trunk lid can be pried open in a second.
  48. Leave somebody in the car.
  49. Trunk Monkey.

Enjoy your trip. Northern California hasn't entirely gone to hell, not even close.
Agreed!

I was joking about leaving the trunk open. and i should've chosen better words than 'very nervous' as that does read a bit like i'm a paranoid person to strangers

just joined the forum and found this gem of a thread that is actually relevant to where i'm taking the car in a couple months so just wanted to put in my 2 cents, as irrelevant as it was.

appreciate the insight on norcal. haven't been up to bay area in some time (i've been to monterey many times as i have family there) and curious as to how much has changed, but now realizing such musings are off-topic to this growing thread

Reactions: EVnut
@EVnut it was 2 not 3. I counted Las Vegas as one.

More ideas:

Carry a make-believe security camera and attach it to a post wherever you park your car.

Get a cheap briefcase, glue it shut with old electronics inside and leave it next to your car.
-- They'll grab it and run find a place to open it out of sight. Then they have to test the gear
to see if it's pawnable. Hopefully by the time they "get it" you'll be gone, or they might return
... for revenge.

Cover car in glue-trap material. The ones for BIG varmint.

Last edited:
With Sentry Mode on, people are tapping on their cars and complaining that it takes too much impact to set the alarm itself off. Has any sponsored or wealthy tester actually tried breaking a rear window?
Is window break detection supposed to be from impact or using the mic?
A healthy palm slap against the rear side window was enough to set my alarm off. I wasn't expecting it as I had to race inside my house to retrieve my fob :eek:. My understanding is that they are using the microphone in the car to detect ANY loud noise. People have said motorcycles passing by their car in a parking lot set off Sentry Mode.

I might have missed this, but has anyone noticed on the Model3 that you can use a short pole through the small window to trigger the trunk safety release and open the whole trunk without triggering the alarm? The trunk safety latch is a soft button, just requires a tap.
1. Break small window 2. Put down seat 3. Trigger trunk open mechanism 4. Take what is in trunk - All with no alarm triggered.

I’d prefer thieves to use the stick instead of breaking my other window, which is how they’re doing it now. 1. Break small window. 2. Pull down the seat to check for valuables. 3. If valuables are present in the trunk, break the larger window to open the door and pull the items out of the trunk. Alarms do nothing. They go off all the time, often for no apparent reason so people ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.