Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess what i mean is the plastic tint harder to take apart if the stuck on the inside glass.

I think you're overestimating how much "strength" a bit of window film is going to add to the structural integrity of the glass. I'm pretty sure if you do a search you'll find that there are people who have installed pricey "security" films on these quarter windows and all it did was slow the thief down a bit.

A better solution to this problem is to vote for politicians who don't think that people doing these types of crimes are just mischievous youth.

Bought my M3 last Sunday, went to Teaspoon off of El Camino Real in Santa Clara, CA on that Friday (my birthday), got broken into...
Luckily I don't keep anything in the car, was just a BUMMER that it happened so soon...

Bought the droplocks, but for now keeping my seats down and hoping for the best..

Reactions: Scrutmonkey
I think you're overestimating how much "strength" a bit of window film is going to add to the structural integrity of the glass. I'm pretty sure if you do a search you'll find that there are people who have installed pricey "security" films on these quarter windows and all it did was slow the thief down a bit.

A better solution to this problem is to vote for politicians who don't think that people doing these types of crimes are just mischievous youth.
Big facts... Also make Enahanced security available for the 3's like the X's.

Bought my M3 last Sunday, went to Teaspoon off of El Camino Real in Santa Clara, CA on that Friday (my birthday), got broken into...
Luckily I don't keep anything in the car, was just a BUMMER that it happened so soon...

Bought the droplocks, but for now keeping my seats down and hoping for the best..
We tested the droplocks and I was able to remove them in just a few seconds with a screwdriver. We were not impressed.

What part of the parking lot did you park? That strip mall is notorious that restaurant owners remind you to bring your bags inside. I try to park right in front of the restaurants.

Reactions: T3SL4AFBruh
What part of the parking lot did you park? That strip mall is notorious that restaurant owners remind you to bring your bags inside. I try to park right in front of the restaurants.

Yes, that's the one by the Walgreens. I remember another forum member saying his car was broken into in that park lot as well.

I've noticed a number of shopping center parking lots now displaying "Park Smart" signs on the light poles in their lots. But even if you don't leave anything in your car you are still likely to be targeted. We had nothing in our car or trunk and still got broken glass.

Only crap I keep in my car is a pack of gum and a flashlight. Anything worth more than 10 bucks goes in the fronk.

I once had a buddy of mine get jacked of his big sack of In N' Out Burger. Four burgers, large fries and a choco milkshake. No Joke. He ran into a pharmacy to get something and in 5 minutes he had his car broken into. The Bay Area has some idiot criminals.

• Funny
Reactions: hcdavis3 and wws
I once had a buddy of mine get jacked of his big sack of In N' Out Burger. Four burgers, large fries and a choco milkshake. No Joke. He ran into a pharmacy to get something and in 5 minutes he had his car broken into. The Bay Area has some idiot criminals.
That has to be at least half the time it would have taken if the thief actually stood in line at an In N' Out joint.

This is kind of concerning. I live in Livermore and I think I’m mostly ok here. Wife drives the car mainly to work and is locked.

I planned on driving it sometimes however and I’m all over the South Bay. Do car seats make it harder to get the seats down and maybe deter someone from breaking in? Our car has 2 seats.

SF is a beautiful city and like all big cities, there are rough areas that you avoid. Despite that, crime can and will happen, but don’t let the news make you think everything is a warzone.

As for the South Bay, we get hit a ton as well. When there are people with things that others want to steal, they’ll come from all over to do it. Still love the Bay Area.

As for the car seats question; I only need one, but have two in the back with the anchor straps latched in. I think this deters smash and grabbers. If I didn’t have a car seat, I’d leave the seats flipped down. In my S, I would just leave the rear hatch parcel shelf out.

Reactions: xanatos
SF is a beautiful city and like all big cities, there are rough areas that you avoid. Despite that, crime can and will happen, but don’t let the news make you think everything is a warzone.

From what I have seen, many hard hit areas are beautiful tourist spots and upscale shopping malls... In decades past, I think you took a risk parking in a bad neighborhood because of opportunists, but now we have organized groups intentionally going to busy tourist areas.

Don't be lulled into a sense of security because the surroundings look nice.

If you read through the break in threads on here long enough you will see that even people who park in small neighborhood strip malls off the main highway can be victims. One guy mentioned where his break in occurred while he was having dinner in a local restaurant and I was shocked it was basically this little complex situated among a widespread surrounding residential area. Not at all what I would have though would be a target area.

We don't use our parcel shelf in our MS and I keep my rear seats down when parked. Time shopping trips with anything of value in the car so that we shop and then go directly home to unload. Just not worth the expense and hassle of getting either of our cars broken into again (husband's MS) and the feeling that it leaves you with. MS had a dashcam capturing it and now I have the TeslaCam with Sentry Mode but that does nothing to stop people who either don't know it's there or don't care because they don't think they will get caught and/or prosecuted. I suppose if trying to look on the sunny side of this, our cars are very clean and uncluttered as a result and always feel great to be driving in.

Bay Area problems, so glad I moved out of there lol. They will literally break into your car if you have a grocery bag in your car. I've never lived in a city where the majority of my friends including myself have had their car broken into while parked. In San Francisco where I lived they decided hmmm too many people in prison, so lets lower the penalty for car break ins.

It was towards the Walgreen's side, so I may have been asking for it... Funny enough (not really funny) another M3 pulled up shortly after it happened, and he had THE SAME window and hole in his... Happened a the week before... San Jose..

Status
Not open for further replies.